Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Professor Test

GamerC

My professor renewal exam is coming soon, and I wanted to know if anyone knows if they put questions on cards that are out of rotation. For example, Level X's aren't legal anymore, will they have questions on those?

Most of the questions are now HGSS-on.
However, there are a few questions using older cards to ask about concepts that weren't easily updated to new cards.
I can't say what those concepts are or if they involve Lv X's or not.
But they are concepts that a professor should know.

I want to warn you, at least as of a month ago when I renewed my professor test, there were questions on the exam that assumed information that is no longer valid.

The first time I took the test (and failed) a few questions on there assumed Pre-BW rules (what can be played on first turn and what can't as well as other changes) and other questions assumed post-BW rules.

There was even one question with an answer that explicitly called out a portion of a rule that's been changed in B/W and that answer was considered the correct one...even though another answer for that question was "more correct" based upon current rules.

All I'll say is "be careful" with the questions. If there is a ruling in the compendium on a given question, even if that ruling is out of date or no longer valid based upon current rules, the likelihood is it's the answer the test wants, regardless of whether that answer is currently right or wrong based upon the B/W rules.

To be fair, however, I got several questions wrong that were purely my mistake. Had I gotten those right, even with missing the questions I consider not updated properly for current rules, I would have passed.

Of course, this was my experience just over a month ago...your mileage may vary as when I complained (after I was told tough luck, take it again) I was told it would be "looked at"...more updates may have happened since.

--Illydth

I want to warn you, at least as of a month ago when I renewed my professor test, there were questions on the exam that assumed information that is no longer valid.

The first time I took the test (and failed) a few questions on there assumed Pre-BW rules (what can be played on first turn and what can't as well as other changes) and other questions assumed post-BW rules.

There was even one question with an answer that explicitly called out a portion of a rule that's been changed in B/W and that answer was considered the correct one...even though another answer for that question was "more correct" based upon current rules.

All I'll say is "be careful" with the questions. If there is a ruling in the compendium on a given question, even if that ruling is out of date or no longer valid based upon current rules, the likelihood is it's the answer the test wants, regardless of whether that answer is currently right or wrong based upon the B/W rules.

To be fair, however, I got several questions wrong that were purely my mistake. Had I gotten those right, even with missing the questions I consider not updated properly for current rules, I would have passed.

Of course, this was my experience just over a month ago...your mileage may vary as when I complained (after I was told tough luck, take it again) I was told it would be "looked at"...more updates may have happened since.

--Illydth
As I posted above, it has been updated since then.

I haven't played the game in 4 years and have no idea about any of the B/W rulings (or even the D/P rulings) but I got 90% through mainly general knowledge. I think there needs to be some sort of weighting whereby you need a minimum overall % but also a minimum % in the B/W specific questions.

I would like to get back into the scene, and would definitely judge a local tournament, but I'd have to read up a lot about B/W cards before that (which sort of defeats the point of being Prof tested).

I would like to get back into the scene, and would definitely judge a local tournament, but I'd have to read up a lot about B/W cards before that (which sort of defeats the point of being Prof tested).

Well that depends on what you think the test is meant to measure.

I put a high value on the ability to logically deduce the correct rulings and a solid understanding of the core rules and procedures. As long as you are solid in those areas even a person who feels a bit rusty can make a viable judge.

Remember, judging is a team sport. :cool: You are able to ask your fellow judges and your head judge about any BW questions you have before you make a ruling.

Back