Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Promo Shuckle pros and cons

pros:
duh Poke-Body Fermenting Liquid attach an energy and draw a card. Works great with the emboar combo.

Cons:
sniped off the bench when its filled with energy.
Your Opponent hits head on a pokemon reversal and brings it up.

So is this the card for play or do the Cons out weigh the pros?

Last edited:
ReshiBoar: No...just no. Does not work. Ninetales>Shuckle.

Magneboar: Amazing card, lets you literlaly have about the drawpower that you could have with Claydol. Amazing in this deckzz.

Con: must run seeker/ssu with him which takes up room.

No you must not. Jesus, what is it with people and thinking that you have do to specific things in this game?

In MagneBoar, the only deck where Shuckle should be played, it does fine without Unown Return, Seeker, SSU etc. If you play 12 fire energies, that could be 10 extra cards drawn. I have found it to be useful in certain situations, and playing a single Unown Return did not help as it only lead to drawing my whole deck in less than 10 turns. Shuckle without re-use works fine, at least until Catcher comes along for those easy prizes.

Of course you don't need it in Magneboar.

I don't know what it is either with people and thinking that you have do to specific things in this game... especially when you point it out and then do it yourself by saying you "must" only run it in Magneboar. Jesus.

Of course you don't need it in Magneboar.

I don't know what it is either with people and thinking that you have do to specific things in this game... especially when you point it out and then do it yourself by saying you "must" only run it in Magneboar. Jesus.

The word "should" strongly suggests an action.
The word "must" forces one.

Problem, grammar?

The "must" comes into play for energy reattachment. It would suck to sink 10 energy into this guy just to realize that your unown return is prized... Having SSU and Seeker (and perhaps Unown Return) is really the best plan for him. If you don't play those cards, you probably shouldn't be playing Shuckle. Shuckle is very good in Magneboar, and it is fairly good in Reshiboar. The problem with Ninetales is that it sinks energy to a deck that runs out of energy fairly quickly. Shuckle is very good in Emboar varients. The problem is that it shuts down Magnezone fairly easily (unless you play a pretty versatile build that uses many trainers). I question whether or not Shuckle is necessary in Magneboar, but I have found that the deck doesn't suffer having it in. The increased consistency is what's at question. I think Shuckle (and friends) is good, but I'm not 100% sure.

The "must" comes into play for energy reattachment. It would suck to sink 10 energy into this guy just to realize that your unown return is prized... Having SSU and Seeker (and perhaps Unown Return) is really the best plan for him. If you don't play those cards, you probably shouldn't be playing Shuckle. Shuckle is very good in Magneboar, and it is fairly good in Reshiboar. The problem with Ninetales is that it sinks energy to a deck that runs out of energy fairly quickly. Shuckle is very good in Emboar varients. The problem is that it shuts down Magnezone fairly easily (unless you play a pretty versatile build that uses many trainers). I question whether or not Shuckle is necessary in Magneboar, but I have found that the deck doesn't suffer having it in. The increased consistency is what's at question. I think Shuckle (and friends) is good, but I'm not 100% sure.

A trainer-heavy MagneBoar is probably the best version, and the only version where Shuckle adds anything to the deck. You can put 2-3 fire energies on Shuckle a turn, and if you draw trainers you can use them, and go with Magnetic Draw afterwards. If you draw into for example a Communication and a Junk Arm, chances are you can get rid of your entire hand and draw 6 cards with Magnetic Draw. MagneBoar does fine without Shuckle, but I think the one space needed can be sacrificed for drawing ten more cards a game (or simply drawing them faster).

I've tested this guy with a speed engine for reshiboar.

His power is intense when it comes to drawing your deck... But, it's not that useful. Think about it; would you rather shuckle, unown return, two seekers and three super scoop ups in your deck; or would you rather 7 extra supporters/trainers?

In Magneboar, he's playable. Not godlike, not bad, but I think he has earned his slot as a 1-off. I play him and 1 seeker; for late game seeker -> RDL energy attachment.

I'm glad I don't have to run this card in Magnezone/Emboar.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. It would be tragic if you did . . . :lol: :lol:

on topic . .. (Shuckle uses)

Question for others who have, actually, been testing this at the tables...

HOW OFTEN do you ever have enough energy in hand to take advantage of Shuckle's body?

I may be doing something wrong, but it's gotten to the point where it's almost impractical to have in the deck. Unless you're ahead, that energy NEEDS to be moved via shaymin/ unown return, SSU, or something to get into the game and use for attacking.

Educate me please. :confused:

Thanks.

Question for others who have, actually, been testing this at the tables...

HOW OFTEN do you ever have enough energy in hand to take advantage of Shuckle's body?

I may be doing something wrong, but it's gotten to the point where it's almost impractical to have in the deck. Unless you're ahead, that energy NEEDS to be moved via shaymin/ unown return, SSU, or something to get into the game and use for attacking.

Educate me please. :confused:

Thanks.
I have been playing 15-20+ games (enough to lose count) with MagneBoar including Shuckle, and every game it has not been prized I have taken advantage of it. Sometimes it is not as useful, getting me only like 4-5 cards the entire game, but often it draws closer to 10. I can not think of a situation where it has won a game for me though, so I would say it is far from a staple. When Catcher is released I will definitely remove it from my deck seeing as it will be an easy target, though I will not lose my energy playing it since I am smart enough to just put down the amount I am lost zoning per turn.

Being as you can still only attach one energy per turn in those decks, its not good.

I've tested it in a Tangrowth Tank deck, and it worked quite well alongside Meganium Prime. While it's a powerhouse in an Inferno Fandango/ Rain Dance build, it is still a good tech in Grass for extra draw while the only sacrifice being made is a bench space to do so (as you'll more than likely move the energy thereafter with Meganium).

In a Grass deck, it should also be noted that it's not simply a "Tech". Magneboar (and other variants including Emboar) runs into that age-old risk of starting with a tech and being ultimatley screwed for a while or until you can correct it. As a comparison, for those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's the equivalent of starting the game with a lone Unown Q and no Collector. It happens. Back on track though, the key thing here to note is that Shuckle's attack costs :grass::colorless:, so while it isn't favored to be an attacker, it can be. What's also an interesting thing to note is, although it's a flippy effect, it has the potential to hold up a game to let you (and unfortunatley your opponent as well) begin set-up. It's fighting type also helps deal a little extra damage to those ever-so-popular electric decks as well.

It's by no means a competitive point of view on a large scale, but until the HGSS-on format becomes more concrete in it's constructed decks, it's worth a tech try in more than just a couple of decks.

Back