Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Psycodad's rogue 2nd place Shipshewana, IN Regional Report

psycodad

Hi

It has been a pretty slim season for pokemon for our family as sports and work have dominated most of my time. I was pretty happy when I got the chance to hit the road with the family and spend time together traveling to the MW regional. What makes pokemon travel so special is the fact that you get family time seeing friends from other areas of the country. These are some of my favorite people and me and my family has found memories of times spent with them at pokemon events. It truely is the best part of the game.

I decided to play a rogue deck. Surprise! I chose to play a cess beach lock houndoom absol deck. It had tested well locally and I thought it had a chance in this meta. Here's the strategy. Either an absol or houndour start is OK. You will mulligan with the low basic count. Lock a cess and fetch a beach using a scott/castaway based search engine. If you start with absol, apply a cess and bayful wind away hands. Build houndoom on the bench. Houndoom is the main hitter, If you start with a houndour, build a doom, apply a cess, drop the gym, and attack. The crystal beach negates the use of DRE in this deck but my supporter engine is designed to fetch basic energy so it combos well with scott castaway. With the low poke count I am able to play a few gym counters to allow the use of a few tech dre's, Tauros was big in this tournies metagame as a counter to gyms. The cess crystal stopped the use of tauros so I was able to stick gyms and stop scrambles all day long. The deck is only about 50/50 against GG and magmorter but I figured that I would not see many windstorms so I went with it. We test til 12, I don't get enough sleep, we eat at a amish breakfast , and head to the tourney. Here is how my day went....

Round 1 - Scott fellow OldPoke with magmorter/delcatty/typlosion
Figures, round 1 - I face my good friend Scott. He has been hot all year long and is super with this deck. As I mentioned the houndoom match up is about a 50/50 . I managed to get a cess and a beach lock with a houndoom and got ahead quickly. Scott came roaring back in the last ten minutes. The game was in question til the last turn where I luck sacked the two cards I needed on the last 2 cards of a stevens for a narrow victory. It was the best game I played in all day. 1-0

Round 2 - Nick -Feraligator
Nick had a delta deck that relied on powers to work. I got a turn 3 doom after using absol/cess to destroy his set up. I benched him. 2-0

Round 3 - Jordon - GG
I again manage a turn 2 doom with a cess beach lock and bench him quickly. 3-0

Round 4 -Cris Fullop - GG
Again another friend. Everybody knows Chris. He is a legend in this game. I again have a turn 2 doom and he draws nothing and I bench him quick. We play 2 side games and he crushes me in both. He quickly exploits the decks weakness in both games with the correct build of GG. I write note to self, play lotto on way home. 4-0 I am wondering around in a caffine induced coma at this point.

Round 5 _ My son Dan GG
What do you do here? Here is what I did. I opened with a perfect hand, never attached, He benched me turn 3. No telling who would have won as Dan knows how to beat this deck but for me I would rather he get the win. 4-1

Round 6 BT Magmorter/Blaze
Wow, another friend. I now begin wondering about the pairings process Oh well. The up side is I enjoy BT's wit and we always have good laughs when we battle. He hates this match up as I have done well in recent testing with him. I tell him it is 50/50 and suggest he use the power of positive thoughts! We start and I mulligan 3 times (a down side of this deck) and the hand I get stuck with is weak and lame compared to the previous 3. I never get a cess lock and BT plows thru me like a hot knife thru butter. 4-2

I am now back on planet earth as the caffine wears off and find myself in 13th going into the last round. It was a top 16 so I had to win.

Round 7 Heather - magmorter/blaze
Wow another magmorter. This game went back and forth at first but then I got the upper hand with the cess/beach/doom lock and benched her. 5-2

I wait for the standings and find out both me and my son are in. Too much.

Top 16 - Rob D zero supporter togikiss/garchomp/claydol
Again, another good friend. Bummer. Rob is also fellow OldPoke and has place high in many regional and national events. His decks are always unique. This deck plays no supporters and is super fast and stable. We discuss the match up and he states that these will be quick games and could go either way. He wins the 1st game in 2 turns. I win the next 2 games in pretty short order with the cess lock. 6-2

Top 8 -Austin Reed GG
I am not to confident going into this match up. 1st game he wins pretty quick. Next 2 games go long as we both draw nothing. In game 2 I used an absol cess beach lock and discarded a bunch of good stuff. I finally get a doom going and he scoops as key cards are buried in his prizes. Game 3 I get out faster and he again has key cards in his prizes and I end up ahead on prizes as time is called. I am now shaking as a danagerous amount of adrenaline rushes though my veins. Between rounds I kick back and start to crash. It is getting late and I need more coffee!

Top 4 Matt GG
Matt is undefeated. I figure at 50/50 I am due to lose. I get 2nd turn dooms in 2 games straight with the cess beach lock. His deck stalls and he gets nothing. I bench him in 2 quick games. Wow top 2. It is now past my bedtime. My good friend Rob comes thru with a cup of joe. I wait around for 40 minutes until my top2 opponent is determined.

Top 2 AJ GG
AJ is another super player and he has the correct tech and build to beat my deck as does so easily in 2 pleasant but quick games. Good job AJ!!

I finish 2nd. I am pleased with this rogue decks performance at such a large event, We pack up and drive home. It was another wonderful pokemon weekend.

Props
Good times with good people
Dan making cut in his first masters regional
Well run tourney - GJ & GL Dererk
Slops
Horse dung on my shoe, wasn't looking, Amish Country
Rain and cold

Last edited:
Psychodad... playing power lock Houndoom... what year is this Eric?? haha! Congrats and a huge WELL DONE along with a shoutout to Dan too for such a feat. I'd love to see a list of that engine! *prays for PM* :)

- fK

Totally loved the deck! It was a pleasure getting to play you! Congrats on 2nd place with rogue, and I'll see you at Nats (Even though I'm professor-staff).

Amazing deck! My son wants me to build it for him now. If only I could have drawn into a Psychic that first game... I enjoyed playing against you, even though the games lasted only about 10 minutes total. Congrats on the 2nd place finish. I think AJ's Pikachu gear was just too intimidating.

P.S.: If you could can you PM me a list? I think this deck would match my son's attitude perfectly.

-Matt

I love what you said to me when I played you. Out to counter the non-existent banette meta. I didn't play any of them either, but we both know they were out there. It was good to finally meet you and play against you. Remember, looking down at the ground next time will help with the horse poop...i promise!

Wow replies

Let's see, this is not 2003 but the card and deck is almost the same as the 2003 version that won me the professors cup. They added HP , added a good 1st attack, and changed the type but the change fits with the new steroid laden pokes of this format. As far as a list, this was more of a one time play. The surprise factor is now gone and the deck is easy to counter in gallade by adding a 1-1 stage 2 water line such as swampert. For what it is worth here is an outline of the deck. BTW I have since changed the list based on regionals performance.

Psycodad's houndoom lock

pokes
absol
houndoom

supporter engine - you need 17-19 - you pick the count
celio
rosanne
castaway
scott
wager
mars
stevens

trainers
cess
gyms - in the text I tell you which ones - you need 2 different ones if you play DRE
night maintenance

energy - play alot! I have played between 16-19 in different versions of this deck!
special dark
dark
fire
DRE - not required but nice surprise tech with the counter gym

There you go.

Now for specifics
Pikachu* thanks! I will cya @ nats with some other rogue pile
Freddy - good to hear from you - hope all is well with you and yours
AJ - great tech and sound strategy made our games fast. Next time I won't play side games with Chris! I am sure you would have figured it out anyways. Good job on your win and thanks for a low stress finals.
Rob - the meta the meta wasn't the intention but it worked out that way - it is just a good card
Hie Gordon - Thanks for the response - I would like to test with you @ worlds if you have time LMK - BTW this deck does not have enough options to keep your interest! it is pretty much a lock down stage 1 haymaker with disruption
Hi Matt - I think you can make a list from the above description. Tune it to your sons style. BTW my youngest played this in juniors and did not do super well so be careful. Again, it was a meta play and the surprise factor accounted for much of the decks success.
Hi Heather - sorry about not making the cut but I am confident you will get there sooner than later. And next time, I will look before I step!

Congrats Eric. Glad to see an old pokes come through with a stellar performance.... Super job with the deck, i'm sure no one expected a T2 beach/lock deck - I know it hurt me big time. LOL.

Umbreon777 Thanks I just do not play archetypes. This weekend proved that rogue can work. Now the question is can known rogue work? The water weakness of houndoom really hurts as gardy players now tech water for magmorter.

billbilski
Thanks - it was the roght time for that deck. The meta will adjust to account for the cess crystal. I think cess beach lock will slow the format down some. We will see.

I will try to coined the name ABS-CESS-of-DOOM,
Because when you loss to it, it is as painfull as an abscess.
(Most of the younger viewers might not have had an tooth abscess to understand that sort of pain.)

Congrats, and good to see a non-G&G do so well.

Your artwork on your trainers is great - it made the finals even more fun to watch.

Congrats, and good to see a non-G&G do so well.

Your artwork on your trainers is great - it made the finals even more fun to watch.

Thanks, the art on cards is not my idea but it does add some fun to the game. I suspect with the overhead cameras at worlds we will start seeing more personalized art on cards.

gj on 2nd.

maybe you can inform an ignoramus like me why swampert is a better doomlock counter than just flipping 2 with gallade?

gj on 2nd.

maybe you can inform an ignoramus like me why swampert is a better doomlock counter than just flipping 2 with gallade?

No, you are right on. Flipping 2 for gallade works, add swampert and it get tougher for doomlock. Alot of GG decks only play 1 gallade. If it is buried and they do not play water I win easy. That is what happened to Austin Reed in 2 games, gallade buried. It happened all day until the finals. The other thing is I can build 4-5 doom a game if I have to. Once the prizes are flipped I can usually come back against GG except against list with high HP water 2 stages as tech.

Last edited:
Back