PTO Changes Prize Structure

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Broken Lizard, Nov 15, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

Today was a great day in most respects.

When I arrived at the Madison, WI Dragons Prerelease Tournament, I found that the TO was charging only $15, as opposed to the $20 I paid in Chicago for the Sandstorm tournament. I knew I was lucky when the TO handed each player 4 copies of the prerelease Gyrados!

I won the first 3 rounds of the tourney, but lost the last 2. Even so, there were only 5 of us in the 15+ division. Four of us were 3-2, and one was 2-3. Due to resistance, I was first in the division!

Then came the hard part. We were told that the prizes would NOT be given out by divisions, but by record. There were 17 players, and the prizes were to be distributed at follows:

1st place (5-0): 18 packs

2nd-4th (4-1): 9 packs

5th-9th (3-2): 6 packs

10th-17th: 3 packs

I had been expecting to receive a box, just as I did for winning my division in the last prerelease.

Instead, I walked out with 6 packs.

Now, I'm a bit frustrated. The TO gave out a total of 99 packs: far less than the allotment provided to him.
    I'll be emailing POP about this, and I really think someone should do something for me on this one. After all, I burned a lot of gas getting there. The fact that the TO is a pleasant and friendly guy isn't enough to make me feel better.

What do the rest of you think of this?

2. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Oooh, that sucks. Once when I went to a church contest at our sister church, we each payed $5 to play in games. The prize for everything was this beautiful Bible, and my brother eventually won and came in 1st. Then when it came to prizes, he didn't get it and the lady who was in charge gave it to her daughter, which came in 2nd. That REALLY was bad.

IMO, if the TO did in fact get the right amount of packs and only gave you a fraction of them, it is possible he took some for himself. On the other hand, you mentioned there weren't very many people. It could be possible he is saving them for future events and didn't want to give them out to a small amount of people.

3. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

Was this the published prize structure (if it was published) or was it changed after the fact?? The pokemon-tcg.com web site states clearly that the first place winners IN EACH AGE DIVISION will receive a full display - I really don't see how ANY PTO can change that!!!

Here's the quote from the source

4. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

Still feel the same way?

We ran 5 rounds this time around too BTW.
    ========================

The only imput I could give is to ask how much experience the TO of this event had and if this was his/her first Nintendo event or what.

And also just so you know, they have to ship back the prizes for the 6-8th place of the 15+ in addition to any other brackets that weren't accounted for...so they'll get busted then if not sooner.

5. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

As someone who placed 5th in my division, I should have gotten four packs instead of three. In all, the TO should have given out 218 boosters as prizes.

6. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Yes, this TO obviously messed up and is in serious trouble. If this is an older Primere TO, this sort of thing does not happen due to a misunderstanding. Paperwork clearly states otherwise and if the TO did not read it clearly, he/she is still at fault. The prizes support is CLEARLY labled with the Age Group and Ranking, such as "15+ 5th Place" etc.

My suggestion is to tell all of the players you know who attended to contact Pokemon Organized Play with their name, age, address, and Pokemon Organized Play ID given to them for playing in the sanctioned tournament. From the records, the TO may be able to work with POP to ship out the prizes required via mail in order to save their position. Those extra boxes SHOULD NOT be gone, we still had plenty that we could not sell to attendees today. In addition, the TO may NOT sell the extra product elsewhere until the EX: Dragon public release date (11/24). If any TO is caught selling product either at the retail or online level, their position is also in jeopardy.
    -Phil

7. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

All I know is that Broken Lizard (thank you again) was willing to drive me all the way to Madison. I took 1st in 11-14 division and 1st overall. Then, after reading I would get a box I was all excited. Then that TO walks out and opens the box which I rightfully deserve. He hands me half the packs, even though I went 5-0, the only one who accomplished that feat. I was feeling quite odd about that and also feeling quite odd about Yoshi's PIRN interveiw. Just kidding Yosh! :) I will probably contact Nintendo EXCEPT for the fact that the TO would not give us our player IDs. He said he needed the information but we wouldn't get the IDs at the moment. Hmmm...

8. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Who Says You DESERVE A Full Box When You're First In Your Agedivision.

Not POP abviously. I was in charge of the same tournament overhere as you got overthere.
    And I didn't had a full box to hand over for the first place.
    POP told me we didn't need the same pricesupport as the USA.
    We should do it with what we get and shut up.

I tried day after day by contacting them to get this discrimination solved.
    Even if their was states on their website that a full box should be there for the winner of each agegroup.

Getting 18 boosters as nr 1 is more than the nr's 1 got overhere.
    I hope you will go to POP with this and i'm really really interested how they are going to solve it for you.

I ask you to post on this MB if anything gets solved for you, or if they to handle it the same way they left all our players in the cold.
    This is how concerned they are: No sorry is said, only this:
    It seems to be a miscommunication, take it or leave it, in the future things will be better we can't change anything from the past. (And I got this answer BEFORE the tournament take place)

So good luck on trying to get what you DESERVE, I hope you get it because in that case I'm going to try again to get the same for our players overhere to.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  9. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

From the EX-Dragons Prerelease page, at Pokemon-TCG.com:
    'mom

10. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Sd Pokemom,

I quoted that time after time to POP. That is no quarantee for getting as (P)TO enough material to actual award your winners with a full box.

11. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

How to put this...

How to put this...

I am sick and tired of those of you who seemingly turn every topic into "you should be happy because we get less." I'm all for parity, but complaining to us isn't going to solve your problem. Some of you have the right idea-work through proper channels. You recognise that at some level the organization wants to listen to you, because they have to in order to survive. Others seem content to poison the well.

Now, of course I'm no expert on European affairs. I've never been out of the country, but I know that you won't solve any of your problems by ranting about them here.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but it's how I see it. Some of you are barking up the wrong tree.

12. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Yoshi 1001,

I'm sick and tired to people who don't read well.
    We went up to Head OP international with this issue, (and not once but day after day after day).
    You get sick of this because you don't want to hear anything what is not concerning you.
    I'm only providing you the same answer as we got from HEAD OP.
    That message was TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. And it seems that you don't like this answer, so imagine how I felt.

If you had guts in body than you offered help to all TO's PTO's worldwide on this board to get things straightend up. We asked for help many times and i don't remember you reaching us a helping hand.
    All you are thinking of is ME ME ME.

I'm trying to get things straightend out for THEM THEM THEM ( the players). And I use every method I can think of the get THEM what they deserve.
    I'm doing the same thing as you do overhere. You complain and I do, but you are doing it for yourself only and I represent 54 players.

13. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

"I'm sick and tired to people who don't read well."

Likewise.

"We went up to Head OP international with this issue, (and not once but day after day after day)."

I don't doubt it.

"You get sick of this because you don't want to hear anything what is not concerning you."

Not true. Communication between groups is often very helpful in solving problems, even when one group isn't directly affected or involved. Unfortunately, this has gone well beyond communication. Instead it has been an all-out assault on us. You aren't talking to us-you're hammering us.

"I'm only providing you the same answer as we got from HEAD OP.
    That message was TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. And it seems that you don't like this answer, so imagine how I felt."

No, I don't like the answer. However, there is very little I can do about it, and very little will be accomplished by your repeated mentioning of it.

"If you had guts in body than you offered help to all TO's PTO's worldwide on this board to get things straightend up. We asked for help many times and i don't remember you reaching us a helping hand.
    All you are thinking of is ME ME ME."

I must have missed it-that or I tuned out the message in the mess of your gripes. Pick your battles. Furthermore, I am repulsed at your attempt to label me as selfish. I really don't care about the one extra pack I should have gotten. I am far more concerned about others who were shortchanged many packs. Furthermore, I don't think Lizard would have been so furious had he been the only one slighted, and even then I still feel his complaint would be justified.

"I'm trying to get things straightend out for THEM THEM THEM ( the players). And I use every method I can think of the get THEM what they deserve."

As are we.

"I'm doing the same thing as you do overhere. You complain and I do, but you are doing it for yourself only and I represent 54 players."

Again, I am not doing this just for myself.

What I am trying to say here is I do not deny you have problems. What I am saying is that your course of action is at times not constructive. After all, if your strategy of influencing outsiders offends me, how likely am I to help you?

Think about it.

14. farbsman

farbsman New Member

Anyway, The Premier Tournament Organizers are given the correct amount of boosters for prizes free of charge in order to run there events. We pay for everything else. This TO either didn't order enough product, or decided to keep some product for themselves. Definately email POP about this at [email protected]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2003
  15. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Yoshi - I strongly hope that all the players of the event you went get everything they deserved. (broken Lizard, HypnosProject and YOU).

You still can be a great help to all players just because this is happened you the 3 of you.
    Very simple actually by letting me know how POP solves your problem.

I'm not trying to influence outsiders, you are not an outsider (non of the players is, this should be a worldwide community), you placed yourself as an outsider depending on what?
    Living in another country, playing in another tournament.

If I placed this on a Magic or Yu-gi-oh MB I could understand the term influencing outsiders, but not here.

16. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

BrokenLizard, I'm curious. Were the judges/staff given any boosters?

At our Colorado tournament, the PTO had the full prize support (over 7 boxes) and the full staff support (3 boxes). I'm not sure (we need to hear from a PTO on this), but I seem to remember my PTO saying that any prize/staff support not given out (usually for lack of attendance) MUST be either 1) sent back, or 2) purchased. So, because your PTO distributed less than half the prize support (and maybe NO staff support), your PTO contractually owes something back to Nintendo.

Regarding less prizes being given out, that's a bummer. I can't image Nintendo will send you more boosters; however, your complaints by those in attendance will either 1) force your PTO to do it right the next time, or 2) prevent them from holding future Pre-releases.

Sad news.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  17. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

There were no judges other than the TO.

The TO was unaware that PUI had changed any rules of the game, and so I had to explain those to everyone.

In fact, the TO initially announced that decks could be constructed of any number of cards, with 40 being just a minimum. Fortunately, I was able to fix that as well.

The TO also stated that Pokémon was not selling well in his store, but was selling like hotcakes 'elsewhere'.

Ebay, maybe?

In any event, I believe the TO owes all of us (not just ME ME ME) additional boosters. My position is that, since he took all of our address info and he clearly has enough product, POP should require him to send it to us.

I'm not holding my breath though...

18. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

Broken Lizard, that's why i'm trying again and again let POP listen to the professors overhere. But they don't want to hear.

Next week there are 5 pre-release tournaments planned by the distributor.
    None of those locations knows the existing of floorrules, none of them have experience running a sealed (even worse they even didn't know you need more than 1 booster for it and even one allows you to add darkness and metal energy).

Looks like the same situation you have been in.

I hope you will get this solved and please post any results on this MB.

19. DARKGeNGaR094

DARKGeNGaR094 New Member

The Premier TO's are SUPPOSED to be given the CORRECT AMOUNT of boosters for prizes FREE OF CHARGE.
    NONE of that happened.

20. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Guys, while we know that internationally you are having problems with distributors running POP that don't have the first clue about what needs to be sent to support a PR, that is not the case here. Broken Lizard is in the US and PUI sent the TO the right stuff. Other TOs got it. His should have as well. It's not a problem of the packs not being there. It's a problem of a TO not doing the right thing with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.