Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PUI updates (adds to) LCQ invites today(7/23/08)!!

Lawman

Find out how many additional invites are being added to the Last Chance Qualifier!

The Last Chance Qualifier tournament gives Pokémon TCG players one final opportunity to the make the cut to compete in the 2008 Pokémon TCG World Championships. This intense tournament takes place the day before the World Championships, and Pokémon Organized Play has just increased the number of invites that are on the line.

Before this announcement, only the top four players in each division were eligible to receive invitations to compete. Now, the top 16 finishers in the Junior and Senior Divisions and the top eight finishers in the Masters Division will receive invitations to compete in the Pokémon TCG World Championships on Saturday, August 16th.

If you didn't earn an invitation to compete at Worlds, why not give it one more try at the Last Chance Qualifier tournament? If things go your way, you could find yourself competing against the best players in the world at the 2008 Pokémon TCG World Championships!

Learn more about the Last Chance Qualifier Tournament.

There you have it!

Keith

Last edited:
Amazing. Be thankful guys, because anything more than the minimum is lucky.

Hey I am just thankful that they have a grinder for us to play in. I do not expect to go 6-2 again this year, but I will give it my best shot. Good Luck to everyone participating.

I agree with Cyrus and JandPDS.

We(as the players) should be thankful that we get ANYTHING as far as an LCQ goes.

Thanks for a second(last) chance PUI!

I don't know about that. If we see 300+ players at the tournament, we could see some 6-1s not getting an invite.

Yes, last year two 6-2 got into the World Championship, out of 6 Masters that made it, but that was Hawaii, I expect this years Grinder to have a lot higher participation, and I do not believe that any two loss players will make the big event. But do not worry just because you are not playing in the World Championships on Saturday, that does not mean that there is not a lot of Pokemon playing fun to be had. There are plenty of awesome side event to keep you as busy as you want to be. There is Pokemon League, where you play who ever you want, and can win prizes. There are constructed tournaments where you can win prizes. And there are 2 vs 2 battle tournaments where you can win prizes. (Are you noticing a pattern here) And on Sunday are the prereleases too.

Worlds is FANTASTIC. PUI/POP does an outstanding job each year making darn sure that everyone who attends the World Championship festivities has an incredible weekend of Pokemon fun of all kinds. IF you are on the fence about going, don't be, Go it is so much fun for everyone, you will not be disappointed.
Even if you have younger members of the Family who are not yet playing pokemon they will still have a blast. Pokemon characters are constantly wandering around the grounds, and the movie room is always showing Pokemon. My daughter is finally playing now at 4 1/2 but this is already her 3rd worlds she will be attending, and she had a great time at the last two.

Last edited:
I can only assume that the masters get 8 less spots than the other divisons because of what happend at US nats...

JandPDS, please stop talking about Worlds. You are making me so anxious for it. :p

This year will be my first Worlds. I bought 2 books on learning conversational Japanese so that I could communicate with the Japanese players a little.

prime is a greenie this year. i remember my first year.

if you where to compare Worlds 2004 to say Worlds 2007. massive differance.

This announcement certainly answers a lot of questions for a lot of people. I think it will help people make that last minute decision. Hope everyone has a fun LCQ event!

With the gas prices and everything else high I think that number will be somewhat less.

People got to nationals...but nationals was open play for everyone. There were over 500 masters at nationals. Half of that is over 250, so even if attendance is 50%, there should be close to 300 masters. 126 masters isn't going to happen imho.

I don't know about that. If we see 300+ players at the tournament, we could see some 6-1s not getting an invite.

If we have more than 256 players, the proper swiss rounds would be 8, so NO 6-1's make it....they have another round to play!!! :thumb:

Keith

Back