Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Question about DRE

bullados

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?
Double Rainbow reads:

Double Rainbow Energy can be atttached only to an Evolved Pokemon (excluding Pokemon-ex). While in play, Double Rainbow Energyprovides every type of Energy but provides 2 Enerrgy at a time. (Doesn't count as a basic Energy when not in play and has no effect other than providing Energy). Damage done to your opponent's Pokemon by the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance). When the Pokemon that Double Rainbow Energy is attached to is no longer an Evolved Pokemon, discard Double Rainbow Energy

Question:

What happens if, say, you have it attached to a Kirlia and you evolve that Kirlia into a Gardevoir ex? According to the text, nothing is to be done. Is this the correct ruling?

We'll be asking that at this weeks rules meeting.
My feeling is that, based on how the card is worded, it should stay attached.
However, you never know what we may get told based on "intent" and original wording.

It does seem like its time to construct an ORACLE with revised wording for many cards.

For example Rare Candy could be worded more like Breeder but retaining the ability to play the basic followed by the stage 1.

I have no doubt that based on the wording it would stay attached. I think its like that so if you say, use a devolution power, or something to that effect, it would get discarded.

But Nopoke, until we get direction from PUI to play it in a specific way, play as written is the only choice.

IMO, I think the translation got botched. Here's the Japanese version:

fakecard.com said:
* DOUBLE RAINBOW ENERGY (ENERGY - Special Energy)
Attach Double Rainbow Energy to any of your non-ex Evolution Pokemon. While in play, Double Rainbow Energy provides every type of Energy but provides only 2 at a time.
When the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to attacks the Defending Pokemon, that attack does 10 less damage to that Pokemon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).
If at any time the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to becomes a Basic or ex Pokemon, discard Double Rainbow Energy.
78/80 Uncommon (Takumi Akabane)

So, if PUI goes back to Japan on this one, you know what the answer will be. But, like the Lanette question, I go with what the English card says until I hear otherwise.

Last edited:
maybe I wasn't clear in my quip at 'play as written': In the past if a card was written a particular way THAT WAS how it would be rulled. This is no longer the case. The floor rules suggest that we can expect a mistranslation to be changed even if the difference does not significantly affect playability.

Last edited:
while we are on DRE
compendium said:
Q. Double Rainbow Energy states that it can only be attached to an Evolved Pokémon. What happens if I play a card [or attack, or Pokemon Power, etc.] that lets me move it to a Basic Pokémon?
A. Double Rainbow Energy can only be moved onto another Evolved Pokémon. (Team Magma vs Team Aqua Prerelease FAQ, Q3)

Isn't the process of moving an energy from one pokemon to another different to 'attaching'? In which case the DRE can be moved to another pokemon but if the new pokemon is a basic then DRE falls off and is discarded?

Also I thought the following was in the compendium but I can't find it so I'll ask it here and keep all the DRE stuff together.

If you are required to discard energy in order to do an attack is the -10 penalty from DRE still applied?

Last edited:
If you are required to discard energy in order to do an attack is the -10 penalty from DRE still applied?
Well, no exact conpenduim Q./A., but according to attacks that disarded Dark energy, I thought you got the added Damage, even though the Dark energy was discarded, or simular, if you attack an opponent and remove a Metal energy, it still reduces attack before being discarded....

So I would assume (snicker....) that even if you discard DRE with an attack, the -10 stays in effect...

NoPoke said:
Isn't the process of moving an energy from one pokemon to another different to 'attaching'? In which case the DRE can be moved to another pokemon but if the new pokemon is a basic then DRE falls off and is discarded?
DRE includes this text:
When the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to is not longer an Evolved Pokemon, discard Double Rainbow Energy.

Also I thought the following was in the compendium but I can't find it so I'll ask it here and keep all the DRE stuff together.

If it is an effect of the attack, the damage calculation happens first. If it a requirement ("discard IN ORDER TO USE THIS ATTACK"), that would come before the damage calculation.
Almost every energy discard now is an effect. The don't use the "in order to" text anymore. It would still be a concern in Unlimited, though.

Thanks Pop I missed the second usage of attached on the card that you refered to. Is there a realy old farts club for those of us with failing erm you know mem something or other....

Yeah. BJJ and I are the founding members of Team Old Fart. It was established in 1999, if I recall....
Either that or it was during the Nixon Administration.

PokePop said:
Yeah. BJJ and I are the founding members of Team Old Fart. It was established in 1999, if I recall....
Either that or it was during the Nixon Administration.

OOOH, do you have tee shirts that you wear at conventions? I think I saw you before! :p
-Phil

Back