Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Question on the Resolution of Purple Attacks

W1ld1

I have a question regarding the resolution of purple attacks.

When you spin a purple attack that beats your opponents, do you get to choose if the effect of that attack resolves?

For example, I spin Meowth's purple attack that tells me to swap places with the defending pokemon. Now... I'm using Meowth on defense, so I want to keep the area to my goal blocked. Do I have to resolve the purple attack or can I choose not to resolve it. In the rulebook, it said you had to move the pokemon the exact number of spaces or not move it at all. That gave me the idea that you don't have to resolve the attack if you don't want to. I was playing with my brother and made him resolve the attack, which put me in the position to win the game on the next turn... it seemed unfair, but that's how I initially interpreted the rules. Now I'm not sure. Please help.

I don't think you get to choose whether the attack is resolved or not.

If I remember correctly (I don't have the rule book in front of me), the rules say that if Purple wins the spin, do whatever Purple says. It doesn't give you a choice.

Initially I thought you didn't get to choose, but under the rules for resolution of purple attacks it mentioned other movement related attacks like teleportation. It said you had to move the exact number of spaces it said or not move at all, which I interpret to mean you can choose. The rulebook said if you can't move the exact number of spaces move as far as you can, so if you can choose to move or not move I would think you would be able to choose the resolution of the effect in Meowth's position since it involves moving your pokemon. Swapping requires movement, which is why I might consider Meowth's attack under the movement rule of choosing insofar as you can choose to move or not move, and I would need a more detailed explanation to convince me otherwise. This isn't a knock against your response, but I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

From what I'm reading, teleport is a keyword, and the wording in the rulebook is ambiguous. I'm pretty sure that you have to resolve it if possible, and the only time you don't is if you can't. I think it's worded the way it is to distinguish it from "pushing away" abilities which allow for the pieces to move a shorter distance than specified.

Meowth, on the other hand, switches. It's not a teleport. There is no choice.

From what I'm reading, teleport is a keyword, and the wording in the rulebook is ambiguous. I'm pretty sure that you have to resolve it if possible, and the only time you don't is if you can't. I think it's worded the way it is to distinguish it from "pushing away" abilities which allow for the pieces to move a shorter distance than specified.

Meowth, on the other hand, switches. It's not a teleport. There is no choice.

Just so I'm clear on this, a pokemon with a keyword has the option of resolving a purple attack and a pokemon without a keyword and just a listed effect must be resolved? In the rulebook, it said you must move the pokemon it's maximum number of spaces or not move at all. It said if you can't move the maximum number of spaces move as far as you can, which made me think you have the choice to move since it qualifies what happens when you can't move the maximum number of spaces.

Just so I'm clear on this, a pokemon with a keyword has the option of resolving a purple attack and a pokemon without a keyword and just a listed effect must be resolved? In the rulebook, it said you must move the pokemon it's maximum number of spaces or not move at all. It said if you can't move the maximum number of spaces move as far as you can, which made me think you have the choice to move since it qualifies what happens when you can't move the maximum number of spaces.

I don't think there is a choice with teleport, although the rulebook is a little ambiguous about it. Even if there is a choice for teleport, it doesn't apply to Meowth's situation since it isn't teleporting. What I was saying about it being a keyword, is that rules for teleport don't necessarily apply to rules on other effects.

Ok, I just read the rulebook again and that makes sense. The first ruling I read was in reference to pushing (push as far as you can). The next one was in reference to teleport, saying you must move it that number of spaces or not move at all (that would make teleporting confusing in its own right, would you need to teleport backwards if you couldn't teleport forwards?).

You must resolve your attack. (Meowth doesn't work so well, defending a Goal.) This does mean that you'd switch your Pokemon.

It's the same thing for every attack - you don't get to pull your punch. Maybe you wanted to lose the combat, or at least not Knock Out the opponent's figure...you still resolve the combat - the result is locked in.

Initially I thought you didn't get to choose, but under the rules for resolution of purple attacks it mentioned other movement related attacks like teleportation. It said you had to move the exact number of spaces it said or not move at all, which I interpret to mean you can choose. The rulebook said if you can't move the exact number of spaces move as far as you can, so if you can choose to move or not move I would think you would be able to choose the resolution of the effect in Meowth's position since it involves moving your pokemon. Swapping requires movement, which is why I might consider Meowth's attack under the movement rule of choosing insofar as you can choose to move or not move, and I would need a more detailed explanation to convince me otherwise. This isn't a knock against your response, but I was just wondering if there was something I was missing.

The part about teleporting was saying if you could not move the exact number of spaces, you could not move. Otherwise, as long as there is nothing preventing the completion of the purple abillity, you must complete the action.

Back