Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

quicktune vs banette (t2)

I have never tried this matchup but, if I was to guess, I would say Banette.....but then again, who knows. This is even more of an interesting match than Empoleon and Banette.

I still for one fail to see how Banette is effective. Ghost Head is good yes, but leaves you vulnerable as well. Spiteful Pain is also nice, but you have to somehow consistently get a Banette into the discard each turn to do 80, which I don't see as being practical. Then there's the issue of drawing it about every turn as well. Whereas with Kricketune, you deal consistent 60-80 every turn as it is not dependent on Pokemon in the discard, but rather on the bench (which is much easier to maintain and replenish). Just my thoughts. Perhaps someone can explain better how Banette works.

I hate them both.
I only want to play them because they're consistant. So, in terms of consistancey, Banette hands down.
Of coarse I prefer Kricketune in general.

Banette is pretty consistence for the opening 2/3 turns, and has a better type.

Kricketune.... is quite consistence too, for the entire game, but has a rather bad type.

I still for one fail to see how Banette is effective. Ghost Head is good yes, but leaves you vulnerable as well. Spiteful Pain is also nice, but you have to somehow consistently get a Banette into the discard each turn to do 80, which I don't see as being practical. Then there's the issue of drawing it about every turn as well. Whereas with Kricketune, you deal consistent 60-80 every turn as it is not dependent on Pokemon in the discard, but rather on the bench (which is much easier to maintain and replenish). Just my thoughts. Perhaps someone can explain better how Banette works.

Banette can do 70 without killing itself for no energy. That leaves you open for an easy comeback ko, usually. If you can Galactics and Crystal Beach it can stop a lot of counter attacks. If they just sent up some basic or something and do 10, not a big deal. Send up the second Banette and use Spiteful Pain or whatever its called and KO that too. Banette takes so many prizes early game it's hard for other decks to come back from.

I'll give Krickets the nod since I've already tested it. About 60-40 Kricketune. Depends also on who goes first and techs.

i think that bantte would trump kricketune with a couple of T.V. reporters! although if the kricketune deck is running a few rosannes research it could b a war indeed...with that said i would call it a 60/40 match up in banettes favor. thats one battle i would like to see lol!!!

In general, Banette trumps Kricketune easily. You don't have to build a deck that revolves around it and only it.

But isn't it hard for Banette to attack multiple times in a row since it needs a Banette in the discard?

In the end, I'd just say both are about 50-50, as it'll basically come down to who has the better starting hand really, as that'll make or break either deck. Both also are dependent on their seperate functions to come together near perfectly to work.

For example, if Banette cannot consistently get Banette, into the discard to hit for 80, his attack turns into a 2HKO on Kricketune and loses steam this way. Consequently, if Kricketune cannot recycle fallen Tots/Tunes back into the deck and redraw then quickly enough, or get those Strength Charm/Plus Powers (if any) into play, it falters as well and Banette becomes a 2HKO. And of course, an Energy drought would devestate either side, as Banette would be unable to KO with its free attack and Kricketune can't do anything without 2 Energy.

Despite that, with Kricketune you can at least potentially stall for a turn or two using his first attack to deal light damage and force Sleep onto the Defending. Banette can throw 7 damage counters max on a Kricketune with its first attack, but it will never KO (though it leaves you set up for a revenge kill with the next Banette). So yeah, like I said, probably 50-50 either way. Just my thoughts.

Banette is VERY risky, and IMHO the best play isn't by itself. Banette needs more basics so it doesn't Ghost Head itself into getting KO'd on the opponent's next turn. So Banette has the edge that it is able to do good damage in any deck it is combined with. Kricketune doesn't have that gift.

I feel Kricketune is better when comparing solo builds, but Banette is better when comparing all tournament builds.

Back