Rare Candy and Evolution Rule

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Cooltrainer Aaron, Feb 22, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooltrainer Aaron

Cooltrainer Aaron New Member

I just went up against a guy who says that Rare Candy breaks the evolution rule of a second turn evolution after a Basic Pokemon is played. In my opinion, this cannot be true due to the statement "(This counts as evolving that Pokemon.)" If this statement was not included, then the evolution rule could be broken.

There is only one card I know that breaks the Evolution Rule, and that is Giovanni. And since that card can't be played in CC tournaments, has Rare Candy been the substitute for it? What is the ruling on Rare Candy and the Evolution Rule?

2. Chrisbo

Chrisbo Administrator

Here are some answers for you. Please note that the second answer can be found in the "Wally's Training" section of the Compendium, but it applies to "Rare Candy" as well.
    == RARE CANDY (EX:Sandstorm)

Q. Can I use Rare Candy on a Pokemon's first turn in play? For example, can I place down a Wurmple and then use Rare Candy on the same turn to evolve it into Dustox or Beautifly?
    A. Rare Candy doesn't allow you the first turn of the game, but it does allow you to evolve a Pokemon the first turn it is in play. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

Q. What does "This counts as evolving that Pokémon" mean, in game terms?
    A. It counts towards the one evolution per turn for that Pokémon (with exceptions for Trainers and Pokémon Powers that break that rule) and removes Special Conditions on that Pokémon. (Sep 26, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Hope this helps,
    - CHRISBO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.