Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sample Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
My friends,

As requested, and as promised, I will post eight of the best entries (one from each pod).

Pod One: Acutin

Deck name: EggLock !

Pokemon – 21
3 Exeggcute LA
3 Exeggutor LA
3 Regirock LA
2 Staryu LA
2 Starmie LA
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
2 Mespirit LA
2 Unown Q MD

Energy -18
4 Call
9 Fighting
5 Psychic

Trainers – 21
4 Rosanne’s Research
4 Bebe’s Search
4 Felicity’s Drawing
3 Cynthia’s Feelings
2 Night Maintenance
4 Warp Point

Strategy:
Onto the pokemons:
Exeggutor! combo it with a regirock T2 and reduce your opps hand as much as you can.
While doing this, you are charging up regirock (an amazing basic attacker) BUT the most important thing: YOU ARE PLAYING ANOTHER ENERGY ON THE FIELD
This powers up Eggs 2nd attack so quickly! Next turn, unown q helps to retreat Eggs and keep energy in play.
If any threats comes out you should be able to have 6 energies in play by T3 - 4 which is enought to ko virtually anything.
After you reduced your opps hand, 2 things can happen:
1- your opponent has nothing and you sweep through their basics with Regi and Eggs
2- your opp lays down a claydol (or any other pokemon that helps the set up) and starts setting up like if you didnt take their hand down. In this case, you have Starmie! that combined with Mesprit LA (this little boy is SOOO unexpected) wont let your opp never set up.
If needed you could attack again with eggs 1st attack after you got that claydol down.

The trainers are pretty self explanatory, the felicitys and warp poitns help to get the 1st fighting energy discarded
Also the warp points help a lot when your opp is empty handed. Theyll try to save their good pokemon on the bench, but you can either attack them with starmie if they have powers or warp point them to the active position!.

Thats all,
hope you like it!
Agustin

Thoughts:

List - Agustin's list was excellent. No uxie, chatot, phione, etc for recovery, but plenty of supporters. A couple questionable Pokemon counts, such as two Unown Q, but when looking at it from the "I may start with Regirock so I have to be prepared" angle, it's a good move. Very minor issues. Probably the second or third best list in the contest.

Creativity - Starmie...Who woulda thunk it, lol. Regirock is a pretty "average" creativity move, but Starmie puts him in a solid position, because it _creates_ a very unique, clever hand lock strategy. Again, very minor grapes

Card Use - again, very well-rounded. No surefire ways to assure a 0 card hand, so once again, he was BARELY off of scoring a perfect score. It's nit-picking, so while I may be the judge, you all on your computers can judge if this was a 20 entry.

Regardless of such, I loved it.

9/10 Deck List
4/5 Creativity
4/5 Card Use
17/20 Final Score

Pod Two: CRIMINAL

3 Rayquaza L.56 LA
3 Typhlosion L46 MT
2 Quilava L25 MT
3 Cyndaquil L12 MT
1 Electivire SW
1 Electabuzz SW
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Chatot MD
1 Heatran L.47 LA

4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
4 Energy Switch
4 Felicity's Drawing
3 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
2 Switch
1 Night Maintenance

4 Call Energy
4 Lightning Energy
8 Fire Energy

The list is pretty self explanatory: Electivire + Typhlosion help to recur energies since Rayquaza's attack discards them. 4 switching cards are required so you can consistently use Typhlosion's power on Rayquaza, and Energy Switch for Electivire's power. Chatot was chosen over Uxie/Azelf because of his free retreat, which is very important. 2 were necessary because chatot will often be used early in the game and be the 1st sacrificial pokemon you lose. Heatran also compliments the deck very nicely and is an efficient big basic cleaner pokemon.

When I first started making this deck I felt Rayquaza just wasn't good at all, but I strongly believe the Pokemon in the deck compliment each other so well. With the right trainers (Switch/Energy Switch) the deck actually becomes very synergistic and powerful!

My Thoughts:

Deck List - A very solid list. It seemed as if it would have minor fits of inconsistency, despite the two Chatot ("maybe" overkill?) and 2-2 Claydol. Also, it gave off a very "crammed" feeling, and the Typhlosion/Rare Candy count seemed ever-so glitchy. Energy seemed "mildly" off as well. Strong showing, though!

Creativity: While Crim featuring only one of any of these elements would have netted him a two on creativity, combining them in a very synergistic manner led to a convincing three - almost four in this category.

Card use: Strong card use. In Criminal's deck, you can do a lot with energy, and can abuse Rayquaza in numerous ways.

8/10 list
3/5 creativity
4/5 card use
15/20 overall

Pod Three: Vanderbilt_Grad

Pokémon (16)

2 Anorith (LA)
4 Armaldo (LA)

2 Sneasel (LA)
2 Weavile (SW)

2 Baltoy (GE)
2 Claydol (GE)

1 Houndour (LA)
1 Houndoom (LA)

Trainers (28)

4 Claw Fossil

2 Night Maintenance
4 Rare Candy
2 Switch

4 Bebe’s Search
4 Fossil Excavator
3 Roseanne’s Research

3 Technical Machine TS-1

2 Moonlight Stadium

Energy (16)

10 Fighting Energy
4 Special Darkness Energy
2 Basic Darkness Energy

Armaldo:

Positives
* Has 140 HP
* Poke-Body makes him immune to many attacks
* Is able to deal good damage, especially if he gets a second attack against the same opponent.

Negatives
* Anything that can get past his body is going to 1 or 2 shot him.
* 3 Energy attack take a long time to power up
* The above combined with high retreat makes him fairly vulnerable to status conditions.
* Initial damage is a bit low
* It is easy to get around his boosted follow-up damage since it’s an effect on the defending Pokémon.

In the words of Shirley, the cook from Alice, “The best defense is a good offense” so that’s what the focus of this Armaldo deck is.

Armaldo is the main attacker & Weavile is his primary support. Weavile can be used to accelerate energy onto Armaldo, speeding up his attack, but given the FFC cost this is only a secondary function. Instead Weavile’s primary purpose is to increase Armaldo’s damage from 60 to 70+ on a consistent basis. The extra damage ensures that he gets the 2 hit-KO against most foes even if they manage to avoid his extra damage effect. It also allows him to bypass Fighting Resistance. In theory Armaldo’s damage could be boosted to 80, 90, or even 100 by attaching more special darks to him, but in practice this is rarely a good idea. Weavile can also make a surprisingly effective backup attacker. Since Armaldo puts the damage boost as an effect on the defending Pokémon it is still there even if they KO the Armaldo that put it there. Weavile can come up and attack for his normal damage +40 for the surprise counter-KO.

Claydol is in the deck for consistency and it’s even possible to attack with him given the fighting energy. Houndoom is a tech to counter Armaldo’s grass weakness. If Armaldo’s are getting swept then it’s fairly easy to build him and attach a single F or D energy and attack for 20, 60+ with possible burn on top of that. While he is best against Grass & Metal types, Houndoom can serve in nearly any situation where Armaldo is having trouble.

Trainer wise the deck is geared towards constancy in building and maintaining the flow of Pokémon. TS1 is amazing early game and makes the Fossil start good, letting it evolve itself or something on the bench. Fossil Excavator is fantastic in getting the Fossils on the bench or cards out of the discard pile and back into play. Night Maintenance is mostly there to get energy or techs back into play.

The Switches and Moonlight Stadium function as condition removers and to counter the many decks that try to bring stuff like Claydol active. With Weavile’s Dark Engage everything in the deck has free retreat when Moonlight Stadium is out. Switch is used instead of Warp Point so as to not inadvertently remove Armaldo’s damage boost against an opponent’s active.

My thoughts:

List - another solid list, but not "quite" as tight. Although throwing in Evolutors for consistency was a smart move, the three Roseanne and no call seems devastating for setup. No auxiliary consistency basic made me a little uneasy, as well.

Creativity: Maaaad creativity! To be honest, I was somewhat dumbfounded when I saw Weavile, but then the fog began to clear, and I was very pleased with what I saw.

Card Use: Possibly the best part about your entry was that you did "not" take the bait that I had deliberately set for the Armaldo pod; that is, I chose a card whose Poke-Body is uniquely ineffective, yet his attack was underrated. You covered every weakness that Armaldo has, and for that reason, you got a five.

Pod Four: Scizor

//NAME: Iron Chef 1
2 Night Maintenance
4 Warp Point
2 Premier Ball
2 Poké Radar
2 Cynthia's Feelings
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
1 Water Energy
3 Psychic Energy
4 Metal Energy
4 Grass Energy
4 Call Energy
1 Uxie LV.X
1 Uxie L.55 LA
1 Azelf LV.X
1 Azelf L.55 LA
1 Mesprit LV.X
1 Mesprit L50 MT
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Forretress L.43 LA
2 Pineco L.11 LA
1 Espeon MD
1 Vaporeon MD
2 Leafeon LV.X
2 Leafeon MD2
4 Eevee MD1

Pokemon (that may need explanation):

Leafeon MD2 – I chose to run this Leafeon in this deck because it removes 10 damage when it attacks. This is helpful if you are trying to score a KO on the defending pokemon, but you also want to heal yourself after being hit by Forretress’ Poke-Body. In addition to the healing, I feel as if you should be attaching most of your energy to Forretress, so this Leafeon is more cost efficient than its counterpart.

Leafeon LV.X – Leafeon LV.X allows you to attach two or three energy (if you get two in play) a turn to a Forretress, which makes it possible to do as much as 60 damage to your opponent’s field per turn. Its Verdant Dance attack also has great synergy with the attachment of several energy throughout your field.

Vaporeon MD – Vaporeon is amazing for its Cleanse Away attack and is clearly worth the two cards to do it (itself and the lone Water Energy).

Fairies – I decided to go with a 1/1 line on all of these. First, I believe Uxie to be a required component of every deck in this format, so that’s in here. Its LV.X form is also very good to add consistency to the deck and has an efficient attack. Azelf’s Poke-Power is very good for getting any of your many singles or even a second Leafeon LV.X out of your prizes. Azelf LV.X is nice to do more bench damage for just one Psychic. Finally, Mespirit LV.X is the key of the fairies here. It allows you to remove 30 damage from all of your benched pokemon. Since, we are running the other fairies, Mespirit LV.X can also OHKO threats that are trying to mess up your strategy.

Energy:

Four Call Energy is basically a requirement in every deck and it is no exception here. I feel like Leafeon LV.X is your best and most consistent attacker in here, so there is the primary reason for 4 Grass Energy. Forretress is not a bad attacker if you need it, so 4 Metal for him is optimum. Three Psychic is enough, even with Mespirit LV.X costing two. By the time all your fairies are set up in a game, you will easily have the Psychics ready to go. The one Water is to use Vaporeon’s Cleanse Away attack.

Trainers:

Standard 4 Warp Points, Roseanne’s and Bebe’s like most things. In addition, I have Poke Radars and Premier Balls for easy search. The deck runs a lot of pokemon, so Radar should typically get 1-2+ guys. 2 Cynthia’s Feelings because I think it is the best recovery trainer in the format. It’s nice when your Leafeon LV.X or Mespirit LV.X dies to just get it back out if you’re able to draw eight cards the next turn. Finally, 2 Night Maintenance is to get back all your singles, two-ofs, etc. Since your energy is a bit scattered, it is better than Time-Space Distortion in this deck.

My thoughts:

List - The best list of the tournament so far. A mildly risky play by choosing the "other" Leafeon, and a low supporter count. However, it is more or less uber. The Poke-Radars work awesomely in a deck that runs 24 Pokemon.

Creativity - I didn't feel that the creativity was too beaming here, but Scizor did some interesting plays to keep himself afloat, including the entire sprite line, as well as theintriguing Leafeon.

Card Use - Absurdly good card use. Nearly every choice in the list either contributes to Forretress, or consistency. Well done!

List: 9/10
Creativity: 3/5
Card Use: 5/5
Overall: 17/20

Pod Five: Pidgeotto Trainer

Pokemon 24
4 Unown ? la
3 Gible mt
1 Gabite mt
2 Garchomp mt
2 Garchomp x
1 Mareep sw
2 Ampharos sw
1 Beldum la 84
2 Metagross la
1 Exeggutor mt
1 Magmortar sw
2 Mamoswine la
2 Gallade sw
Trainers 20
4 Bebe’s Search
4 Roseanne’s Research
3 Buck’s Training
3 Felicity’s Drawing
4 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
Energy 16
1 Grass
2 Fire
1 Water
3 Lightning
3 Fighting
3 Psychic
2 Metal basic
1 Darkness basic

Unown ? fits two different kinds of decks: decks with many different type pokemon, and decks that want to discard. Decks I thought of with many different type pokemon: Eeveelutions, Garchomp. Decks that discard: Mag/Typhlosion, Electivire, Garchomp, Kingdra. Eevees don’t really want discard. Those other decks are very monotype. Garchomp was the obvious choice, the only deck that fits both of Unown ?’s uses.

I tried to fit as many different typed pokemon as I could. One card I knew combo’d well with Garchomp was Ampharos. Garchomp x’s power along with Amphy puts many things into ohko range for Garchomp. Also, Garchomp can do 110 and then Amphy follows up by koing it with 20 to the bench. As I looked for big attackers that only take one of a certain type (ie FCCC, LCC, PCC), one guy I saw was Mamoswine. For just FCCC it does 100 and 40 to the bench at a cost of only damage to itself when it has a huge 140 hp. Another active/bench hitter was Magmortar, really the best Fire option. As I looked for metal guys, Metagross immediately caught my eye. Gusting is great with bench/active hitting attacks like Mamoswine, Magmortar, Ampharos and even with Garchomp x’s power. The gust allows you to not waste any damage, so when you leave something with 20 hp, put it on the bench and get a double ko. Many different attackers in here can do this. It doesn’t really matter which one you draw and ends up getting rebirthed. Also joining these are Garchomp, Exeggutor (much better with dre/scramble gone) and Gallade which are just great attackers. The bench damage of Garchomp x, Amphy and others will setup more ohkos for them as well.
The trainers are pretty standard. Warps good for those damage splitting strategies if Metagross isn’t out yet, or against other warps. Buck’s Training is utilized better in this deck than Claydol decks where it’s often 2 less for Cosmic Power later. Not the case here.
Every pokemon in this deck is a great attacker, but because they’re all different you get to use Unown ? to its fullest. With 8 different types (throwing in a dark for the heck of it wasn’t worth it), Unown ? has a VERY high success rate. Especially when you can use the power multiple times per turn. What Unown ? allows you to do is have a Claydol essentially. I imagine 3 Unown ? on the field, Garchomp x and two spots to Rebirth to. With 3 Unown ?, you’ll draw at least 2 every turn and sometimes 3. Maybe not quite as good as Claydol but Unown ? saves you space as it’s also your starter. It even replaces the Lunatone that most Garchomp decks would have to play. Every feature of Unown ?, its ability to be an opener and a midgame draw engine is utilized well in this deck, where as most decks could not utilize it well in either role.

Thanks

My Thoughts:

List - Very believably consistent list. However, "only" having Unown as your engine is very risky. Lots of draw negates this concern though. I am also very questioning of the flimsy Garchomp line.

Creativity: You took a mildly obvious combo, and then just went nuts with it. I was happy with the wide variety of options you have in this list.

Card Use: very substantial abuse of Unown ?. You ran more types than any non-eeveelution deck builder, and played some good discards. Great job.

List: 7/10
Creativity: 4/5
Card Use: 5/5
Overall: 16/20

Pod Six: Zangoosed

4 Voltorb
4 Electrode
3 Regigigas
2 Chatot
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
2 Eevee
2 Leafeon
2 Leafeon Lv. X

4 Multi Energy
2 Metal
2 Water
2 Fighting
3 Lightning
3 Grass

4 Roseannes Research
4 Bebe's Search
3 Prof. Oaks Visit
2 Cynthia's Feelings
2 Team Galactic's Wager
2 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance
2 Snowpoint Temple

Ok so Regigigas is a tough card to get to work due to difficult requirements to attack. My first thoughts were how can I get my opponents to draw 3 prizes quickly, and how can I get this massive energy requirement for Regigigas to go smoothly. My 2 answers were SW Electrode and Leafeon Lv. X for obvious reasons. Ideal start to the deck would be Electrode who can blow itself up, which gives your opponent a prize, and it gives you an energy to attach to Regi and most likely gives you a prize as well. So you have early game attacker with Electrode and late game Regigigas cleans house. Leafeon Lv. X's attack and Electrode have some synergy as well.
List - You did very, very well, considering that no Call are being used (and to good effect, perhaps). 15 supporters, well-rounded choices, and just an overall consistent build. You play solid quantities of everything you need to.

Creativity - My standard rule of thumb has been that for every non-creative idea, I set it at 2/5, and either go up or down from there. Your Leafeon adds a fresh new element, but I don't see creativity being challenged beyond this little bit.

Card Use - Decent Card Use...You are getting by the body, getting by the energy cost, and countering fighting weakness. Good. Now try to challenge the abuse of the card. Unown K, more Warp Points, etc would have helped you around Regigigas' attack limitation.

Card Use: 3/5
Overall: 15/20

Pod Seven: Bigchuck01

Pokemon: 26

3 Yanma
3 Yanmega
2 Bronzor
2 Bronzong MD
4 Root Fossil
2 Lilleep
4 Cradilly
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Uxie
1 Spiritomb

Energy: 11

5 Grass
2 Psy
4 Call

Trainers: 23

4 Bebe's
4 Rosanne
2 Fossil Excavator
4 Bucks
3 Rare Candy
3 Plus Power
3 Switch

Strategy: Use Yanma and Bronzong to spread damage to the bench, then Pluspower/Buck/Cradilly to bring something to the bench active, KO it, and remove all damage from Cradilly. Also you can do the inverse, bring something active with Cradilly (preferably something with a high retreat cost like Claydol), then use switch and get free shots at the field with Yanmega and Bronzong. Low energy because Bronzong/Yanmega attack for free, and Cradilly attacks for 1.

List - Powerful list. While the slight unreliability on pulling out Creativity wasn't awesome, as well as the low Fossil Excavator count, this is the most metagame-conscious list of any I've seen thus far. The techs are all very relevant, to both consistency and deck abuse. Spiritomb is awesome, and will see play in tons of decks this format.

Creativity - Much like Criminal and Zangoosed, you were spared a 2/5 because of extending the deck's creativity beyond just Yanmega.

Card Use - solid card use. Tons of abuse on the first attack, and running a Spiritomb tech allows you to pull off some clever maneuvers with Acid.

Card Use: 4/5

Pod Eight: Dreamchaser AJ

Pokemon
2 Unown R
4 Unown !
2 Unown B
3 Unown L
2 Unown V
2 Unown Z
2 Unown G
1 Unown Q
2 Barboach
2 Whishcash

22 Pokemon

Trainers
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Pokeradar
3 Snowpoint Temple
4 Prof. Rowan's
4 Duskball
4 Super Scoop Up
2 Team Galactic's Wager

25 Trainers

Energy
8 Psychic
3 Multi
1 Water
1 Fighting

13 Energy

Strategy
Unown L uses any Unown's attack. Use Unown !'s power with Unown V's attack to use Unown Z's attack at it's best! (Move damage counters to their active pokemon.)
Snowpoint to add more hitpoints to you low HP attackers.
Whishcash is the Mewtwo Lv. X counter. Fury w/ 6 or 7 damage counters to 1HKO it. I chose him because he uses the self-damaging of Unown !/V to his benefit, and he needs less damage on him than Gastrodon or Gyarados. Unown R's attack can help set-up Whishcash fast, or just retire him to get a card. Magnitude also works well with the Unown Z combo.
Unown G and him also operate as counters to Mighteyena.
Rowan/Wager draw engine works well with the pokeradar/dusk ball.
Unown B/Super Scoop Up are used to bring Unown ! back as much as needed.
Unown L also can operate as Night Maintenance. So that is included.
(Fun note, if the have a dud active with a dud hand, you can put more dud cards in their hand while you kill the bench with Unown !, and set-up another attacker.
Multi is so Whishcash can attack. Also one water and fighting is so Roseanne's can get it.
Low energy count is okay with low energy cost to attack.
This should be very fast.

List - a good list, but not without its flaws. A low-supporter, low setup build to your deck is troublesome, but functions relatively well nonetheless.

Creativity - Absolutely amazing. Sooooo many Unowns, "and" Whiscash!

Card Use: You abused this card a good deal.

List: 7/10
Creativity: 5/5
Card Use: 4/5

Last edited:
I'm shocked nobody has posted here. I'll break the ice. I was very impressed with Vanderbilt Grad's deck in particular when reading this. Very interesting. I had fun with this!

Thoughts:

List - Agustin's list was excellent. No uxie, chatot, phione, etc for recovery, but plenty of supporters. A couple questionable Pokemon counts, such as two Unown Q, but when looking at it from the "I may start with Regirock so I have to be prepared" angle, it's a good move. Very minor issues. Probably the second or third best list in the contest.

Creativity - Starmie...Who woulda thunk it, lol. Regirock is a pretty "average" creativity move, but Starmie puts him in a solid position, because it _creates_ a very unique, clever hand lock strategy. Again, very minor grapes

Card Use - again, very well-rounded. No surefire ways to assure a 0 card hand, so once again, he was BARELY off of scoring a perfect score. It's nit-picking, so while I may be the judge, you all on your computers can judge if this was a 20 entry.

Regardless of such, I loved it.

9/10 Deck List
4/5 Creativity
4/5 Card Use
17/20 Final Score

2 Unown Q seems to me also overdone along with the 4 Warp Point.
Also Mesprit needs imo Wager to be good with both first attack Eggs and Starmie overall.
So I think 17 is the correct score.

The lack of Wager was not an "error" in just one category, but two. I also factored that in for deck list.

It was nice to see some of the best lists for this contest and how different people explain their choices. I also hope everyone sees how important a concise, but detailed strategy writeup is for this contest. Lia had a great idea in opening up a thread for each pod for everyone to post their lists in. That way discussion about that particualr card will be focused in that thread and allow people looking for ideas about how to use that card easy access to several different strategies.

Call + Multi = lame. I see no reason why I would need/want one.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I'm gonna say a few things too about my entry:

"List - The best list of the tournament so far. A mildly risky play by choosing the "other" Leafeon, and a low supporter count. However, it is more or less uber. The Poke-Radars work awesomely in a deck that runs 24 Pokemon.

Creativity - I didn't feel that the creativity was too beaming here, but Scizor did some interesting plays to keep himself afloat, including the entire sprite line, as well as theintriguing Leafeon."

I feel like the Cyrus' logic here is flawed. He says that the Leafeon choice I made was creative, but then says it was a "risky" play under the list portion of his analysis. It isn't risky. I explained in the write-up that it's relevant to the deck's success and since you're dumping energy on Forretress, I would argue (and I believe, be correct in doing so) that it is actually a superior play to the other Leafeon. The reason being, it costs two to do 40 damage, while the other does nothing for the deck. It doesn't remove damage and Leaf Guard only applies the next turn, plus it costs three energy. I believe this is a nit-picky point and an invalid one at that.

Supporter wise, again is a completely subjective opinion. In an untested format, it is difficult to tell what is a "perfect" engine so early. However, basing me losing a point off running only 10 Supporters is again, flawed. A good Fairies list right now runs only 8 Supporters. The other search trainers I used are more beneficial to the deck than more Cynthia's Feelings or any other sub-par Supporter and I firmly believe that to be true.

While the creativity is only a 3, and I disagree with that, it should be made up for in my list. If my list is truly the best list of this round, then it should be a 10 and not tied with 8 others.

My two cents, thanks.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

List - another solid list, but not "quite" as tight. Although throwing in Evolutors for consistency was a smart move, the three Roseanne and no call seems devastating for setup. No auxiliary consistency basic made me a little uneasy, as well.

Creativity: Maaaad creativity! To be honest, I was somewhat dumbfounded when I saw Weavile, but then the fog began to clear, and I was very pleased with what I saw.

Card Use: Possibly the best part about your entry was that you did "not" take the bait that I had deliberately set for the Armaldo pod; that is, I chose a card whose Poke-Body is uniquely ineffective, yet his attack was underrated. You covered every weakness that Armaldo has, and for that reason, you got a five.

I'm not going to complain about my grades at all ... but I would like to take advantage of your post to add a bit more about my thought process behind my choices.

In most decks you need basics ASAP at the start of the game, hence the normally high Call / Roseanne’s count. On the other hand you need to hoard those Bebe’s to get precious evolutions out. It’s usually not a good idea to use Bebe’s on a basic unless you have to.

The deck I submitted doesn’t follow those assumptions and adding Call or more Roseanne’s actually made the list a bit LESS consistent in my testing.

Neither Call nor Roseanne’s gets your Claw Fossils out ... yet roughly half the time when you start that’s exactly what you need to search out as soon as you can. That’s why both Claw Fossil and Excavator are maxed. It was the ONLY way I could make getting the early Armaldo consistent without adding a starter.

The other half of the time, when you start with Claw Fossil you usually do want basics ... but you don’t have to worry about using Bebe’s to search them out. Fossil Excavator is actually better than Bebe’s at getting out Armaldo evolutions and the TS-1s give you the freedom to even more ability to get evolutions out. You also only have two basics you want most of the time with those cards, Baltoy and Snesal. Once you get those two out you never need basic search again unless you need a replacement or to get the Houndoom tech out.

Counting the TS1s, Excavators, and Bebe’s the deck has 11 cards that can search for evolutions.

Counting the Excavators, Bebe’s, and Roseanne’s the deck has 11 cards that can search for basics or fossil basics.

In actually playtesting setup was usually insanely fast with those kinds of numbers. Roseanne’s got used for energy a lot more than it did to get basics.

I considered a starter like Jirachi ... but with no way to clear bench space it just seemed like baiting the Dusknoir techs since I would also need Claydol and Weavile benched. Add a retreated starter to that and you have no room to build backup Armaldos. So I’ll concede your point about no additional starter types possibly having an impact on consistency, but it just seemed like the safer play long term.

BTW, I'd like to point out that I'm annoyed that I can't edit my posts when I see spelling/grammatical errors in this thread =\.

Card Use: Possibly the best part about your entry was that you did "not" take the bait that I had deliberately set for the Armaldo pod; that is, I chose a card whose Poke-Body is uniquely ineffective, yet his attack was underrated.
what does he mean

What he meant was that the thing that stands out the most obvious on Armaldo is his pokebody. While the pokebody looks good, it's actually rather easy to work around or just overpower. Armaldo's attack that boosts damage to the defending pokemon actually holds more promise than hoping Armaldo can just tank turn after turn. Personally I had a difficult time trying to shore up all of Armaldo's weaknesses and still make it the main attacker in the deck, especially since it's a rather straightforward card.

Unown's main purpose is to keep energy in play.
Everytime you retreat, you can keep your energies on the field to abuse Eggs attack later on the game. ;)
one more coinflip could be crutial

awesome lists, specially chad's (thats creativity)

Agustin

Pod Four: Scizor

//NAME: Iron Chef 1
2 Night Maintenance
4 Warp Point
2 Premier Ball
2 Poké Radar
2 Cynthia's Feelings
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Bebe's Search
1 Water Energy
3 Psychic Energy
4 Metal Energy
4 Grass Energy
4 Call Energy
1 Uxie LV.X
1 Uxie L.55 LA
1 Azelf LV.X
1 Azelf L.55 LA
1 Mesprit LV.X
1 Mesprit L50 MT
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Forretress L.43 LA
2 Pineco L.11 LA
1 Espeon MD
1 Vaporeon MD
2 Leafeon LV.X
2 Leafeon MD2
4 Eevee MD1

I'm not trying to sound mean here and I know my opinion is rather pointless in this subject and you are vastly better than me, I realize this. Things I noticed about your list were, How can you pull all of that clunc off?

I am not one to talk considering my horrid list I sent in, but it just seems theres just NO room. The lack of "draw" is one thing, you told me yourself about my deck that I had a lack of draw, but I realize I didn't have the Azelf or the 2/2 line of clay just the 1/1, but still.

I would be assuming, this would be your ideal poke setup, active pokemon would most likely be Leafeon X?
the bench would be...1 Claydol, 1 Forretress, 2 Eevee, 1 pixie!

It would seem that there's just no room, I mean you could always let your stuff get KO'ed then play down the other pixies.

Mainly, im just at :eek: that you run ZERO drawing supporters. Cynthia is not drawing IMO.

I am NO master deck builder to say the least so I am prolly not making any difference here.
Just don't bash me too hard on your reply:tongue:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

After really thinking about it, I shouldn't of said ANYTHING....*wishes for edit button*

Last edited:
Love the contest Cyrus, just wanted to voice my thoughts on a few things.

Acutin - How does Unown Q help Regirock? Regirock has a 3 retreat. Unown Q only makes it a 2 retreat, which is still quite a pain, and makes it very hard to get off the active if you start with it. I guess Regirock works with both of Exeguttor's attacks, but I don't particularly like how he works with both. If Claydol is keeping your hand full, so you can keep discarding the cards, how do you use Exeguttor's first attack effectively? I think there could be better choices than Regirock.

CRIMINAL - So Rayquaza relies on Energy Switch to get the energy off of Electivire? It just seems too unreliable, since you can't search for the card, and you only get 4 chances max. Not a bad idea though.

Vanderbilt_Grad - Weavile helps Armaldo do +20 damage. 80 for 3 is nice and all, but I feel a Buck's Training/Plus Power could produce the same effect. You only really need 70, since many things have <140HP, not 160. Heck, I don't know if you even need those that much. It's attack does 100 damage next turn. Most things won't survive 2 shots of 60 + 100. I guess weavile helps power up Armaldo a little, but Armaldo has to have 2 fighting to attack, so it doesn't help much at all. I guess Houndoom isn't a bad idea, but you can only effectively use it's first attack and unless your bench is very small, your not going to be doing that much damage to the Grass pokemon/s. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about weakness much since it will only show up in a percentage of decks. Moonlight Stadium is a nice touch to get the 2-retreat Armaldo to the bench for free. Creative idea, but I have my doubts that it is the best way of playing Armaldo.

Scizor - Crazy list. Not Crazy bad, but maybe not crazy good either. If it works for you, how can I suggest otherwise? My biggest thought is that this list isn't focused on Forretress when you only run a 2-2 of it. Do you ever plan on attacking with it? With only 4 metal in the deck, I'd say once in a blue moon. The deck almost seems more focused on Leafeon with support from Forretress and the Pixies. That is my only complaint, that the deck just doesn't feel Forretress to me. It feels eeveelution to me, with a tech of Forretress.

Pidgeotto_Trainer - That is a heck of a lot of Pokemon to discard. But I guess it works with Unown ? in that way too. I can understand the 2 Gallade, as Gallade is a powerhouse, but 2 Mamoswine seems kind of weird. I guess that isn't a complaint more of a pickyness. Maybe your idea focuses heavily on Mamoswine and Gallade working together. It almost feels like your stretching yourself too thin, though, with all the types and having to have the right energies for all of them. Both Gallade/Mamoswine/Garchomp/Exeguttor can run off of fighting energy, but when you throw in Metagross/Ampharos/Magmortar you now need Metal energy, Lightning energy, and Fire energy. I don't see Magmortar being as effective as Mamoswine can be in this deck. 100 to the active and 40 to anything is better than 40 to the active and 20 to 2 things (imho). 20 to 2 things is better than 40 to 1 thing, but the 100 is just devastating, even with Mamoswine hurting itself. I understand Metagross. Metagross is a cool tech for it's Poke-Power. I can understand Ampharos, but the deck already has ways of spreading damage. I feel the bench would be crammed packed really quickly with all these cards. Overall, great use of Unown ?. All the types will secure you the draw 1 a turn. More than the draw 1 a turn? Most likely not. You can't afford the bench space and you can only use the Poke-Power once per turn (per Unown ?). Does the deck need Claydol? IMHO, yes. Drawing 1 a turn doesn't equal a Claydol. But, for the idea, you need to have some focus on Unown ?, and it can't be attacking, so might as well try it as a drawing engine. It's just, your comparing Claydol, a Jeep engine to Unown ?, a moped engine. That's all it is, just a smaller engine.

Zangoosed - Creative name...but err...on to the deck list. Yeah, I guess Electrode was the 'easy answer' to RegiGigas's Poke-Body, but I don't know if it's the best. It would almost seem better to spread damage, and lose prizes that way, then just use RegiGigas as a finisher, maybe even abusing TM TS-02 to devolve for KOs. Ooops...wow. I just read RegiGigas's attack. If they have any damage on them, the attack does 40 instead of 120. Nevermind my comment on spreading damage. (see any wise guy can delete their mistakes, I am cool, I keep them in to show humility) 120 for 4 with no discarding is not bad, but it is only 120 damage. I feel Buck's Training or Plus Power would have helped a ton, since so many Pokemon have 130HP now. That, or try Vanderbilt's idea with Weavile for that last energy spot for the 140 damage with possible free retreat. I think the idea is cute. Electrode gives the opponent prizes while also powering RegiGigas. Leafeon Lv.X can take over it's job later on to keep powering Regis quicker. It's not bad. It's not super creative either. More believeable, though.

BigChuck01 - I don't feel like this idea is focused on Cradily as much as it is focused on spreading damage with yanmega/bronzong. You bring up that Cradily can pull, then Yanmega/bronzong can spread damage, but you fail to mention that Yanmega will forced the pulled Pokemon to the bench the second it attacks, which ruins the entire idea of that strategy. I think Cradily is very interesting. If it ever gets really hurt, it can just Gust up a basic that has been spreaded on, and KO it and clear all the damage off of it. That is a fantastic combo. I feel Super Scoop Up could have been a great play in this deck, with so many Pokemon attacking for low energy costs. I use it in my Yanmega deck and it works great with Uxie LA, Spiritomb, and any hurt Yanmegas that can't be OHKO'd. I know you had to focus on Cradily, but I feel the deck would be much better without it. That makes me feel the same as before, that the deck isn't focused on Cradily effectively. If it were, the deck would be butchered and hollow with the loss of Cradily. It's not a bad idea, instead, it's a fantastic idea. I guess my only complaint is the focus of it.

Dreamchaser AJ - I don't have the time to look up what ever Unown does. This is a cute idea. I see the main combo of using Unown V's attack to put a lot of damage on all of your Unowns, using Unown ! to possible spread on the opponent's Pokemon but also possible spread on your own, and then using Unown Z to move damage counters onto the defending Pokemon. Quite an idea, if the defending Pokemon isn't OHKOing all of the Unowns the second they hit the field. Two complaints here. Why all the other Unowns if the entire strategy focuses on 3? Also, with the Unowns being so fragile and so easy to OHKO, the idea just seems...rough or hard to perform correctly. I know that you can't control what Pokemon was picked for you, and any complaints should be directed towards Cyrus. I think you did well with the poor choice in Pokemon. I feel Unown ! was a poor choice because, unlike Unown ?, it's Poke-Power can only be used when you put it onto the bench. So, you end up with your main focus being very random and it almost being impossible to abuse as much as another card that can just sit on the bench and do it's thing every turn.

Good job everyone, and I look forever to reading more strategies! I absolutely love Iron Chef!

After seeing all this feedback on these top entries, I feel like I want some too. I wouldn't post this if it wasn't one of the top entries, though, so please don't all of you post your entries too :p I tied with Chad in our pod (17/20).

Back on the Iron Chef scene again..

Pokemon (24)
2 Eevee MD
2 Leafeon MD (Holo)
2 Leafeon Lv. X
3 Wailmer GE
3 Wailord GE
2 Pineco LA
2 Forretress LA
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
1 Azelf LA
1 Azelf Lv. X
1 Unknown V LA
1 Unknown Q MD

Energy (17)
4 Call Energy
3 Metal Energy (Basic)
4 Grass Energy
5 Water Energy
1 Psychic Energy

Trainers (19)
4 Bebe's Search
4 Roseanne's Research
4 Prof Oak's Visit
3 Warp Point
2 Leftovers
2 Night Maintenance

Leafeon is in the deck for a few reasons. Number 1, attach more energy to Forretress. Putting 2 energy on a Forretress in one turn gives you a 75% chance of at least 2 damage counters everywhere on the field, and speeds up the spreading process. Number 2, energy acceleration. Wailord takes a lot to attack and that extra attach is so big, especially when you want to attach to Forretress as well. And last, but not least, big damage. Verdant Dance can hit for a lot late game with all the energy on the field. Leafeon has other various uses, mainly pertaining to Bind Down and Leaf Guard, which have their useful tricks.

Wailord is in the deck as the deck's main attacker. With 200 HP, Leftovers, Sleeping Pulse, and Unknown V, Wailord isn't going down for a long time. You can even send him out and only attach to bench guys, he'll still survive for a few turns no problem. 60 is plenty to 2HKO most stuff with Forretress's Body adding plenty of damage every/other turn.

Forretress, besides its amazing Poke-Body, has a solid attack as well. Explosion for 100 and only 40 to itself is nothing to scoff at. With Leftovers, it basically only takes 30, and if it can survive your opponent's next turn, you're almost back to full health and can Explosion a few more times. You'll almost always be able to attack with Explosion because that's where the energy is going anyway. Good finisher to end the game as well.

Claydol is there for consistency, pure and simple.

Azelf LA is here to get anything key out of the prizes, especially the Unknowns. I would have played a 2nd Unknown V if I didn't have Azelf in here. Azelf X is where that 2nd spot went. Azelf X is great for the sniping ability and goes well with the theme of Forretress to pick things off on the bench that your opponent may be powering up.

The Unknowns are amazing. Q is simply for consistency and so you can Warp Wailord out of the active and free retreat with something like Azelf back to it. Unknown V is something that makes this deck. A Cleanse Away without actually attacking? Amazing! It basically counteracts Forretress on your own side of the field! Stick Wailord up there and go nuts on Forretress and cleanse with Unknown V.

The Energy is pretty straightforward. Call for consistency, Grass for Leafeon, Metal for Forretress, Water for Wailord. 1 Psychic for Azelf X.

Trainers are all consistency until Warp Point. Warp is for random situations as well as the one I mentioned earlier. Leftovers is for Wailord or whatever to last longer with extra damage coming from Forretress. Night Maintenance is to get those precious energies back, mainly, and whatever else you may need, such as the 1 of cards.

Think I got most of my points across. Thanks Kettler!

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back