SC Chomp

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by vanderbilt_grad, Aug 30, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

I live in NC, but my league is based in Fort Mill SC. While playing around with name ideas I considered Chomptile and other unoriginal things ... but the one I liked best was SC Chomp. Both as a homage to my league state and for Sceptile, Chingling/Chimecho, & Garchomp.

Pokemon (17)

2 Chingling
    1 Chimecho

4 Gible
    2 Gabite
    4 Garchomp

2 Treeko
    1 Grovile
    2 Sceptile (pop 4)

Trainers (27)

3 Windstorm
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Night Maintenance / TSD
    2 Warp Point

3 Castaway
    2 Holon Mentor
    3 Celio's
    2 Mr. Stone's
    3 TVR

2 Memory Berry
    1 Crystal Beach

Energy (16)

5 Grass
    2 Fighting
    2 Psychic
    2 Fire
    2 Lighting
    2 Water
    1 Dark

Strat

Ching / Chime is the preferred start to get set up by grabbing supporters & then drawing. However Gible is the most likely start which isn’t all bad and can be somewhat disruptive to your opponent’s setup. Treeko is the lest preferable starter but has a 50/50 shot of paralyzing your opponent for some early annoyance.

Garchomp is the main attacker and the goal is to abuse his body to do big damage.

Sceptile is there for energy conservation. He can move the deck’s grass energy around where it’s needed the most. When one garchomp is hurt you can retreat it for free and then move it’s grass energy to a fresh chomp. While energy conservation isn’t quite as good as direct acceleration it serves the same function … to get attackers ready faster than otherwise possible. The advantage of Sceptile over Swampert, Raichu, and Eggs is that you don’t have to use attacks to get your energy attached and you can leave him on the bench while your Chomps get to do damage potentially every turn. The downside is that if your grass energy gets taken out of play Sceptile isn’t going to be doing much.

Potential techs

Boost Energy – for a quick 70.

Sceptile ex d – to mess with opposing ex Pokemon.

Celebi – as a possible replacement starter who could help get your grass energy in play.

Eggs (mt) – A single tech line would let you have both acceleration and conservation in the same deck.

2. B_B_C

B_B_C New Member

Pokemon (17)

3 Chingling

4 Gible
    2 Gabite
    4 Garchomp

2 Treeko
    1 Grovile
    2 Sceptile (pop 4)

Trainers (25)

3 Windstorm
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Night Maintenance
    2 Warp Point

3 Castaway
    2 Holon Mentor
    3 Celio's
    2 Mr. Stone's
    3 TVR

1 Crystal Beach

Energy (18)

5 Grass
    2 Fighting
    2 Psychic
    2 Fire
    2 Lighting
    2 Water
    1 Dark
    2 boost

Hope it works.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  3. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Sceptile can only move the grass energy. It's a decent idea, but not a very effective one imho. If Garchomp could work with special energy on it, then multi and DREs would work perfectly with this idea. But this idea is a little limited.

Good luck!

4. TODDakaESTEBAN

TODDakaESTEBAN New Member

i can't get garchomp to work without copycat, plenty of draw is needed

5. vanderbilt_grad

Prime in playtesting Chomp without much tech wise I lost several games by 1 energy.

If I had been able to attach a single extra energy and attack or move an existing energy I would have won those games. My point is that, for chomp, being able to move just 1 or 2 energy can chagne the whole game. Yes Sceptile works only on the grass energy ... but that's enough to change quite a bit.

I'm in agreement that draw is needed. That's why I had Chimecho listed. In my Sceptile free lists I also ran Quickball, Pokedex, and the like for deck speed. I just didn't have room to fit them in here.

6. merman

merman New Member

Most Garchomps run a 1-1 Aerodactyle so that you can pull out a specific energy each turn.
    Oh and i would take out the chimecho and just go with 3 chimling

7. Ra2xse

Ra2xse New Member

Pokemon (18)

3x Chingling MT
    1x Chimencho MT

4 Gible MT
    2 Gabite MT
    4 Garchomp MT

2 Magnemite PK
    2 Magneton PK

Trainers (26)
    2 Crystal Beach
    2 Windstorm
    4 Rare Candy
    1 Warp Point
    4 Energy Search

1 Scott
    2 Holon Mentor
    4 Celio's
    4 TVR
    2 Copycat

Energy (16)

2 :fire:
    2 :grass:
    2 :water:
    2 :fighting:
    2 :lightning
    2 :psychic:
    2 :dark:
    2 :metal:

8. vanderbilt_grad

Just me but I would rather run Mr. Stones & Night Maintenance to deal with getting energy out of the discard if needed in Chomp rather than Magenton. I also don't see much metal weakness out there. I just don't think that there are going to be a lot of Walrein or Glalie decks played ... and if my opponent lays out 4 Regice ... well I just don't think that I'm going to need the metal.

Aerodactyle is interesting but hard to get out IMHO. Running either 1 Fossil or 1 Holon Fossil in a deck that already has draw and search issues isn't easy. It's a good tech, but would see more use in a deck with Delcatty & Chomp IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.