Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Scizor.

Kayle

Anyone who thinks Scizor isn't a dominant force in the game probably has never seen one.

My two favorite sets are Band and bulky SD (see below). I understand boosting is hard in VGC but I assume the Banded set is still pretty viable - what other sets work well in VGC? Is it more of a beatdown Poke or can it fit on weather or even TR teams? What about a Roost + 3 attacks set?

Technician STAB Priority - i.e. a Bullet Punch that's as powerful as a Meteor Mash - is just so ridiculous in Singles already, I can't imagine it being overlooked in VGC.

Banded Scizor
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP, 252 Attack, 8 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-Turn

Bulky SD
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP 40 Atk 216 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost
- Swords Dance

In VGC, most things have Protect. This makes Choiced Pokemon very difficult to work with if they dont have moves that target both the opponents Pokemon. While you are trying to hit a Pokemon for priority, it Protects and the opponent either switches in something to deal with Scizor or kills it.

That isnt to say its unusable. I like Scizor, and its ok in VGC. But its no where as good as it was in singles (pre Genesect, now its kind of suffering with competition..) Scizor has always relied on that Tech Bullet Punch, but it also realizes on hazards, residual damage and prior damage, all of which are harder to pull off in VGC with only 4 Pokes and half ont he field at once. I would reccomend SD Scizor over Band, so you can set up on Protecting Pokes and then hammer away. Id make sure you are familair with Cresselia sets for VGC and make sur eyou are tailored to outspeed that, because that will be Scizors greatest stregnth.

Those are some pretty SICK set you have there. As Shino said, they work wonders in Singles but not so much in Doubles. In a tournament like VGC, Protect is everywhere so its harder for a Choiced Pokemon to pick good targets. Don't get me wrong, some Pokemon with Choice items are great in VGC but they are Pokemon like Latios and other Dragon types and hard hitters that are fast. While he hits hard, he is pretty slow and will most likely go down. His 4x weakness to fire is also something most would not play around with.

I would hate to meat those sets in a single battle though. They are just nasty.

So you might even say Scizor is gimmicky in VGC? The gimmick of its huge bullet punch - overshadowed by its poor Speed and vulnerability to Protect?

Looks like Scizor needs 164 Speed EVs to outspeed Cresselia (min speed) so we'd be looking at a spread like 252 Atk, 164 Spd, 92 HP (or SDef). Or, for a bulkier SD set, swap Attack and HP. So maybe:

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP 164 Speed 92 Attack
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite (U-Turn good in doubles, too? I know Bug Bite can be sick with its ability to remove all sorts of berries)
- Roost/Superpower/Protect (Recovery really relevant on Scizor?

You may want to run Scizor with a rain team to cover its 4 time weakness to fire. U-Turn is also good but in Doubles, you'll want to keep that +2 attack up. If you can get a SD up, you don't want to lose it. Keep bug Bite. I don't think you need the Speed EVs. I would just run enough attack EVs, 252 special defense or HP EVs and put the rest in ether HP or special defense.

I'm not sure what what cressy can do to to scizor but if its hidden power fire, you'll take the hit because of rain reducing its effectiveness and the bulk of the Pokemon. Scizor makes a great wall for any battle type because his only exploitable weakness is fire, which you'll have covered. Pair him with a screener and you'll be set. I just see Tornadus and the likes being a problem for him though so pair him with something that can thunderbolt. Maybe a Latias.

Try this

Latias @ Electric Gem/Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, mix of defence stat and HP
- Light Screen/Reflect
- Protect/Dragon Pulse
- Heal Pulse (Keeps Partner alive)
- Thunderbolt/Thunder

Scizor is amazing in singles and doubles, and just for fun might as well put this set i though of real quick for fun.

scizor
technician
nature-adamant
item- sash
agility
reversal/super power
bullet punch
bug bite

i don't know what i was thinking. you set up agility and (hopefully) live with the sash then sweep with your moves. I don't know why for reversal but i dislike the stat drops from super power. i now have to ev and breed for this just for fun at my league!

Let's Discuss-Scizor

Hello, I'm trying to bring more discussion to the video game community of pokegym, so I am trying to start a series where we can discuss different pokemon, how we use them, what we use them for, and our experiences using, and facing the topic pokemon. Today, we have scizor. Scizor, is in-famous of being able to punch holes in teams with choice band and priority in the form of bullet punch. this, plus bullet punch getting STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus), and the amazing ability, technician. from those 2 qualities, bullet punch gets a stupid amount of power. then there is choice band, making this able to sweep unprepared teams. Other than bullet punch, it has other useful tools for attacking. it gets bug bite, witch gets massive power, i believe around 120 base power after STAB and technician. it also obtains pursuit to threaten latios, and anything else dark weak to not retreat, even though it requires a fair amount of prediction ability to use it effectively. The downside of scizor, is that it is x4 weak to fire. and with a meta infested with heat wave zapdos, fire blast t-tar, and other fire types that scizor has a hard time countering. if you wish to use different moves and still get power boosts? it get swords dance and agility for stat boosters, with iron defense, light screen, rest/sleep talk, counter, and reversal, for defensive options. it also gets access to tail wind for team support. this is the set it run is this-

Scizor
item-focus sash
ev's-252 hp, 252 at, 4 sp
-swords dance
-bullet punch
-u-turn
-pursuit

this set, aims to set up a swords dance, and either sweep the opponents team, or at least severely cripple some pokemon of it. this is the standard set, (replacing u-turn with bug bite and pursuit with super power) and that's the set most people use. Waht are your sets that you use? what are your experiences with scizor, facing it or using it? let's start a discussion now, and even if you want to talk about partners for scizor, that's good! So Let's Discuss!

So? I don't really mind. Though I'd like to ask master Jake to use some more line breaks in his paragraphs so things are easier to read! ;P

That thread Pikamaster linked to is a valuable place to start, but I came at it with a very singles mindset. Things work differently in doubles.

I like Focus Sash/SD, but I think I'd use Bug Bite over U-Turn when you expect to stay in and try to boost. What about Metal Gem Bullet Punch? Just hit something once for stupid power. I mean absolutely stupid power.

You could also pair Scizor with a Tailwind user. It seems silly to boost its speed when it already has such powerful priority, but when it comes to Bug Bite and Superpower (its other primary coverage moves), its speed leaves a lot to be desired.

I was thinking about the whole Tailwind thing. I don't think it would work too well against other Tailwind teams that are designed to be fast.

I'm not a Scizor user but from what I've seen this seems to be a standard set.

Scizor

Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Nature: Adament (+ Attack, -Special Attack)
EV’s: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 6 Speed
-Swords Dance/Superpower
-Bullet Punch
-U-Turn
-Pursuit

This is the set I normally see with them. The thing is, Scizor is also really great at being a wall. Has Roost, great HP and defensive stats as well as being able to use screens.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Back