Setting up

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Dom, Feb 19, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dom

Dom New Member

So I've been going over a few different setup engines and its proving quite difficult to find anything that works reasonably consistently w/o having to devote ridiculous amounts of space. I'm not really up to date with the game as such, so maybe I'm missing something. I have a few questions:

How fast do you need to be setting up in this current environment?
    What are people currently using to set up?
    How do people hope to implement Phione and/or Call Energy when they eventually come out?

I mean, if people are just running 4 Pachirisu and hoping that'll be enough, what do you do when you don't start with it? Hope your opponent's in the same bad position, and if otherwise just lose? I mean I've looking at things like Castaway and Roseannes that work solidly but maybe a bit too slow, then again I'm not sure exactly what is "too slow" in this format seeing as I'm lacking experience with it.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. pichu bros. rox

pichu bros. rox New Member

if i dont start with pachi, i retreat and send out pachi and yes i play 4

3. Dom

Dom New Member

Yeah but how you do you find it? Just wait until you draw into it? Isn't that often too late?

I guess the lack of Swoop is proving a problem for me. Gosh I'm so behind the times.

4. pichu bros. rox

pichu bros. rox New Member

i use roseannes or if i dont get it i'll just play along w/o it

5. ~Blazi-King~

~Blazi-King~ New Member

With cards like Celio's Network, Holon Mentor, Roseanne's Research, and a few others...Its not hard at all to get the ideal starter you want active.

Most decks nowadays run 4x Starter (Pachirisu, Absol, etc), 4x Celios Network, 2-4 Roseanne's Research/Holon Mentor.

6. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

At least Call Energy also gives Energy...

The one engine with the Balls is supposed to work good.

7. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

its just like playing with dunsparce again. Play 4 and hope for the best.

8. Dom

Dom New Member

"Hope for the best" just isn't good enough.

That's basically the whole point of making this topic. I'm a consistency freak, having less than half a chance of getting your basics out when you need them is a joke. And if more often than not you're gonna need Celios or Roseannes or w/e to find a starter, why even play 4? This whole thing is wacked out, wacked out I tell ya.

If its a "hope for the best" thing I'd rather play 8 than 4. Transceiver worked so well, Swoop worked so well. Its not really feasible to be so regressive here. Are there any real alternatives in the format?

9. ~Blazi-King~

~Blazi-King~ New Member

The other option is to play a Deck, that has 2 Ideal pokemon + evos that you dont mind aggro'ing with.

Example: Magmar/Magmortar + Chansey/Blissey...

10. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

If you run 8 basics, 4 of which are good starters then you have a better than 60% chance of starting with the one that you want.

>>> http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38570 <<< Good stuff in there !

I'm not claiming 60% as a good figure for consistancy. It is just higher than the 50% figure that most players think they have with a 4+4 basic deck.

Retreating is a workable strategy too though it is going to cost you one turn most of the time. With the cards in the current format "consistancy" has to be viewed as a turn two or turn three target rather than the turn one or turn two of yore.