Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Simple tips for a BIG tourney.

Spirit Of Mew

In preparing for states many people get very nervous. One reason is that for some people it's their only way to Nats. Others just want to do well.

Well I want to help with all the high nerves.

Tip 1: Your deck

Play a deck that you are comfortable playing, and are also familiar with. Don't wait till last second to build your deck. This will cause many mistakes during games.

Also don't "tweak" your deck a lot. This creates a new feel to the deck causing more mistakes.

When asking for deck help be open to all opinions, and remember just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can't try it. Also remember to keep your deck to a style comfortable for you.

Tip 2: Net Decking

This is not a bad thing, and doesn't make you a n00b. Maybe you can't think of a deck, and need something to play.

If you do this remember a deck that's good for someone else may not be good for you. Try to make your own version too. That way it fits your playing style.

Tip 3: Good luck charms

Yes they're fun to have, but you can't rely on them. If you have a good luck charm remember that skill is just as important as luck.

Don't be a person who loses their charm and freaks out because of it.

Tip 4: Before the Tournament

Stay calm and try to keep away from loud crowds before the tournament. This will reduce your anxiety level.

Go into the tournament planning to have fun. Don't be cocky and expect to win every game. You will be too hopeful, and be crushed if you lose.

One of the most important things is to get good sleep. You need energy for your mind to work well, and so you can play your best. Don't stay up till midnight play testing.

Tip 5: During the tournament

Remember to have fun during your game. Never give up because things look bad you never know what will happen next turn.

Be a good sport. Congratulate your opponent. Don't be the depressed dope no one wants to play. It will cloud your mind and raise the number of mistakes you make.

No matter what place you get be happy that you played. A lot of people would love to be able to be in your shoes even if you always loose.

Tip 6: Physical health and Hygiene

No one wants to play with someone who smells or has that nasty morning breath. Shower and brush your teeth in the morning. Not only will it help those around you, but you will feel refreshed and ready to go.

It is also important not to skip breakfast or lunch, those meals are what get you through the day.

I hope these helped if not I'm sorry. The way you play is based on your mental health so you want to keep yourself cheerful, and feeling good. That way you can do well.

So, tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Looked good. The only thing I'll argue with is rule 1 were it says dont tweak your deck alot. After tons of playtesting, tweaking your deck by a few cards a couple times helps alot.

I know that does, but what I am saying is don't panick and try to redo your whole trainer line just to beat two or three cards.

But yeah tweaking can be very good.

^oh yah that reminds me about worlds 07. i was playing r-gon and after nats i tested w/o fearow and thhe whole deck fell apart. i swear i changed the deck by atleast 25 cards.

That's what I mean.

I'm basing this off of the way your mind works.

When you become familiar with something you are less likely to make mistakes, but when you have a major change without much practice you want to keep play the old deck if you will.

Spirit Of Mew said:
Tip 2: Net Decking

This is not a bad thing, and doesn't make you a n00b. Maybe you can't think of a deck, and need something to play.
Just wanted to point out that this statement contradicts your previous statement to play a deck that you are familiar with. Good work though!

That is incase maybe you are not familiar with anything and need something to play with until you find something else or like it enough to stick with it.

I hope you know what I mean

^^If you play it enought before a tourny and find it fits your playing style and keep practicing then eventually you will be familiar with it lol

i liked it.

EDIT: the shower bit is deffenatly great advice. nothing upsets me more than when i find out that i gotta sit by/play one of the stinkers.
and a shower really sets up my mind for thinking, so its great for you AND everyone around you.
everbody wins!

Last edited:
You need to add the following tip -

Take a shower, wear clean clothes, brush teeth and if you can use mouthwash, and put on deodorant.

JMO,
Drew

Last edited:
And the most important thing: eat right. Nothing can prepare your body for the mental beatdown it will take than having good fuel in your system.

a additional thoght- get a good night sleep before a big tourney. Nothing is worse than doing well early on, then making mistakes later on that can cost you a chance at the title. Prevoiusly working third shift, I can speak from lots of experience here. Excellent idea to post your thoghts on this topic.:thumb:

Back