Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Skarmory or Swellow?

Groudon-Land said:
Which should I pick for my Flying-type Pokemon? Skarmory or Swellow?

Go with Skarmory, use this moveset.

Nature: Adamant

Roar
Toxic
Spikes
Drill Peck

I agree with Rep13 on this one, Skarmory is the way to go. Try for that moveset (if you have a 2nd game, rip the TM's off of that, but breed the moves in as much as possible), and you should be fine. Also, give it the Quick Claw if you can.

Rep13, if you go with that moveset than there is no use in having his steel type. go with this moveset

Skarmory
Steel Wing
Toxic
Spikes
Drill Peck/Fly

If you want a flying type to be able to fly, go with fly, if not, go with drill peck

Canadian Bacon said:
Rep13, if you go with that moveset than there is no use in having his steel type. go with this moveset

Skarmory
Steel Wing
Toxic
Spikes
Drill Peck/Fly

If you want a flying type to be able to fly, go with fly, if not, go with drill peck

Steel Wing really isn't that good of a move, and the entire point of Skarmory is to use Spikes and constantly Roar the opponent so their entire team loses HP from Spikes which allows them to be defeated easily. Steel Wing can't accomplish this. And don't use Fly its not that strong and your opponent can see it coming.

Last edited:
what if youre fighting someone that is weak to steel, then you can beat them faster than with just spikes, also, i asked if he wanted a flyer because of fly for flying from town to town. its a lot easier to fly from sootopolis to Dewford than it is to walk. even though that is an ingenius strategy that i never thought of...
ok, switch toxic with roar.

Canadian Bacon said:
what if youre fighting someone that is weak to steel, then you can beat them faster than with just spikes, also, i asked if he wanted a flyer because of fly for flying from town to town. its a lot easier to fly from sootopolis to Dewford than it is to walk. even though that is an ingenius strategy that i never thought of...
ok, switch toxic with roar.

You're missing the point. Steel Wing is not a good move, and there are hardly any battle worthy Pokemon that are weak to steel.

Once again I'll say it: If you want to fly from town to town, use HM slaves! Don't put Fly on a serious Pokémon.
Rep13 has the best moveset and it makes skarmory one of the best in the game. This is why he's commonly used as a starter, it sets up tons of stuff that will help you in the late game.
Don't waste precious moveslots with crappy moves like Steel Wing and Fly.
Back to the original question: if you want a Pokémon to fly, go with Swellow, or another HM Slave like Tropius. But for battles, Skarmory is the only way to go.

Deffinitely Skarmory. Although I have a Slight variation of the same moveset....

Toxic
Spikes
Roar
Double Team

I also EV trained a +Sp Df

HP 100
DF 158
SD 252

Very effective, and keeps Roaring longer.... Spikes+ Poison shuffle is brutal

It really depends on your teams style.

If you want a high defensive Pokemon, Skarmory is a great choice.

If you want speed, Swellow is awsome.

A good move set for Swellow is

@Focus Band
Aerial Ace
Double Team
Endevor
Return

Endevor is just brutal with low HP, and Focus Band can make it even better.......

Focus band has a low success rate, so the endavor/focus band combo isn't the greatest. I'd replace it with return @leftovers or silk scarf(I think that's what its called, i could be wrong but what it does is increase the damage of normal type moves.)

Last edited:
Back