Sour Grapes - Missing the cut by means not in your control...

Discussion in 'World Championships' started by Pablo, Aug 16, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Well, I got to Hawaii on the 4th, spent all the time with my friends doing silly stuff and laughing and just chilling cause there was nothing else to do in Hawaii. On Tuesday I cracked my head open, and got 2 staples on the back of my head. Luckily nothing else happened, simply a very big cut =P.

Anyways I was psyched for Saturday, but nervous too. I knew what I was running since the day after Mexico Nationals. Mexico Nationals made me come to realize no deck was ready and built for to withstand hand disruption, because there wasn't any other than Vaporeon ex. And my Regional experience had showed me how unstable Trainer engines were and how so much relied on set up that fast OHKO's on the low HP set up basics gave you such a huge advantage that by the time the opponent managed to set up, you were ahead 4-5 prizes already. I put Banette and vaporeon together because both fit this criteria, and they also both managed to get T2 KO's very commonly.

That was the theory behind my deck, it exploited decks weaknesses in terms of deck building, or rather decks assumptions on no hand disruption thus allowing for less strictness in terms of draw. The Holon engine is so weak in terms of draw, but if you never factor in hand shuffling, it becomes stronger with topdecking included and Poke-Powers of Pokemon like Fearow d or Metagross d, and set up cards like Holon's Castform and Budew.

Now my list looked like this:

Pokemon: 18

1 Jolteon* PK
    1 Umbreon ex UF
    3 Vaporeon ex DS
    4 Eevee S3
    1 Banette CG
    4 Banette ex
    4 Shuppet CG

Trainers: 26

1 Buffer Piece
    1 Crystal Shard
    1 Holon Scientist
    1 Scott
    2 Castaway
    1 Holon Adventurer
    2 Battle Frontier
    2 Crystal Beach
    3 Holon Mentor
    4 TV Reporter
    4 Prof. Elm's Training Method
    4 Holon Transceiver

Energy: 16

3 Water Energy
    4 Rainbow Energy
    3 Multi Energy
    6 Psychic Energy

Consistency in all its glory. Perfect Supporter balance, perfect energy quantities, perfect Pokemon quantities (too bad you can't play more than 1 Jolteon* or I'd have played more).

The deck had 8/9 good starters. Why POP 3 Eevee you ask? C for 10 was huge, being able to next turn evolve to Vaporeon ex, do the magical unstoppable 40 + 10 = 50and KO on most if not all common set up Pokemon. Shuppet has Ascenscion and everyone knows how that works, and between Rainbows and Jolt*, OHKOing stuff is very easy.

The single Umbreon ex was always HUGE mid game, where the opponent is struggling to build up a threat and you just get rid of it before it becomes one.

Buffer Piece was amazing, and running Crystal Shard helped out my friend Diego in Top 8 with all hte unexpected Flygon ex LM popping up. It also helped vs Umbreon but I never managed to use it effectively.

So with all that in mind, I knew I had a consistant deck, hand disrupting deck that no deck was prepapred for or could easily recover from other than JPN Empoleon's decks, I was sure I was in pretty good shape to perform well.

Round 1 vs Kunihiro Asai (JP) w/ Typhlosion/Weezing

This guy made it through the grinder and I didn't know what he was using but I thought it was a safe bet on the grinder deck. Indeed he was. My starting hand sucked, I had to bench Jolt* Turn 1 so that I would not lose. I top decked lame stuff and he got way ahead. Then one turn I managed to pull off a Umbreon on his last Weezing, Vaporeon and KO that turn, leaving him only with 2 Typhlosions each with Energy Root and one has 30 damage on it. One had Fire attached, the other was naked. And then the following happened:

The prize count is 2-1 his favor. He has a 2 card hand after the Vaporeon ex and using up something. He attaches a DRE and does 20 + Sleep. I wake up, and play a Crystal Beach, I Shadow Chant for 90. He topdecks Copycat so all he needs is his last Cursed Stone or an energy to win. He draws his 3 cards, and holds one separately in his hand, I assume it is the winning energy BUT he takes a while to play it, so I then assume it isn't and I face another Sleep flip that could decide the game. Then my jaw drops: the card he was holding was a DRE, so if he had attached to the active, and used Typhlosion's second attack, he'd have done 50 + 90 for the counters + 20 for DRE = 120 KO. Instead he attached the DRE he got to the benched Typhlosion, retreated the active one discarding the Fire energy and pointing to an attack. I promptly point to Crystal Beach and thus he ends his turn. I draw, KO the Typhlosion with Shady Move + Shadow Chant. Next turn he topdecks Mentor and can't attack due to Crystal Beach. GG!

1-0

I honestly shouldn't have won that game but the japanese guy was bad. How could anyone misplay that badly? I now wonder what if he had beat me, could I have maybe pulled the magical 5-0? Who knows.

Round 2 vs Yuki Akimura (JPN) w/ Scizor ex

This guy got 4th. Not only was this very unfavourable for me, but I also gave him the best starting hand. He beat me quite easily, nothing I could do.

1-1

Round 3 vs Luis Manuel Carvalho (PT) w/ Dragonite d/ex/Flygon ex LM

The second I saw a Castform I was relieved, I did my usual Turn 2 KO and followed closely by a Vaporeon sealed the game. Crystal Shard gave me the last 2 prizes on his Flygon ex but I would have won regardless 4-0 instead of 6-0.

2-1

Lunch! I'm feeling OK, I can do 3-0 or 2-1 and still make it, little did I know resistance would come bite me.

Round 4 vs Daniel Cohen (AT) w/ Rhyperior/Meganium d

Dam, a good friend of mine. He saw my Rhyperior list whilst testing Wednesdays and Thursdays and he liked it and built his own. The game went forth and back, but a mid game Vaporeon ex messed him up bad. In the end I was 6 cards away from decking but I had KOed all Rhyperiors and he had not attachable energy to try and stall with Chikorita's.

3-1

Round 5 vs Sami Sekkoum (UK) w/ Absolutions

I had an ok start but he got a Turn 2 Umbreon ex on me, and if I go first I can deal with it, but not going 2nd, so I just scooped like 5 turns into the game.

3-2

Round 6 vs Jeremy Maron (US) w/ Metanite

Oh the ironies, Worlds '07 was full of Worlds '05 ironies at this point: Sami beating me, Ross beating Jeremy, and some others I can't recall. I knew at this point I had to win or else, and Jeremy resistance was alot lower than mine, so if anyone had the chance to make the cut it was me. We started out and I went first (first time the whole tournament). I also managed to Turn 2 KO his H. Castform after having Vaporeon ex'd his hand. I basically got amazing draws all game, while Jeremy got bad ones (<3 Vaporeon ex) and I also somehow managed to prize 3 of his Dragonite d's. He flipped his prizes and that showed he was conceding.

4-2

Standings are posted and I see 5/5 of my opponents LOST the last round, and so did Jeremy obvoiusly so my resistance was crap and I got 19th place.

This is where my sour grapes begin. The tournament went fine, I beat who I had to beat with my favourable matchups. I lost to who I had unfavourable matchups, so I had a top cut record, but it wasnt fully up to me or my skill to decide if I was in the cut or not. It was the stupid TOM pairing me with those certain opponent's and those opponent's not doing so hot in swiss. Why was Worlds done to 6 rounds? I would have liked the chance to PROVE I was deserving of the cut by playing and winning a 7th round, than having to accept a decision that wasnt decided based on my skill/luck/record.

So there's my sour grapes. So lame. This Worlds was definately inferior to all the previous ones. In the case of Worlds, the previous years and their quality's showed quantity > quality, not of the event itself but of location and invitees. It was obviously a superb event, it just wasn't as 'lively' as all the others.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Your sig is soo right :(

Hopefully this is better next year, going 4-2 at an event with the supposed best players in the worlds deserves a top cut. <3

3. DukeFireBird

DukeFireBird Gallery Administrator<br>Forum Moderator

dang Pablo, that sucks, great to see you again though, good luck next year!

4. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

Don't worry about it man, your deck was awesome and there's nothing more you could have done. Just making it to Worlds was a huge accomplishment this year, so don't be too upset! :)

5. Hawk Nelson

Hawk Nelson New Member

I feel for ya pablo but in all honesty, I dont think you should really be too down on the system as those are just the breaks you gotta take sometimes. If it wasnt you it would have been someone else. Nobody can make the perfect system. Short of just using DCI Reporter.

Oh well, Great to see you did well and played such a good deck. The only change I would have made was cutting the Bannette CG personally. But I didnt test this so I dont know your reasoning for it.

6. Mloclam

Mloclam New Member

I may be new to the game but it seems like this is the same for every game. No system can work out perfectly all the time but it is most likely the best available. Sucks that 5/5 of your opponents lost but that is the way it goes unfortunately sometimes.

Gj though?

7. DragonairMaster8

DragonairMaster8 Active Member

congrats man, sorry u misssed cut :(

8. Pooka

Pooka Master Trainer

I think your list is a little off. You said you played Crystal Beach, but I don't see any in your list.

Regardless, you did all you could. I definitely know how you feel lol. Oh well, hope to see you next year in Orlando!

9. sdrawkcab

sdrawkcab Forum Moderator

Congrats, you get my first report post!
    I know it sucks to lose on resistence, there is absolutly nothing you can do about it. But some one has to lose....its just unfortunate it had to be you.

Congrats on making it to worlds tho, and it was good meeting you again this year. Hope you enjoyed my Rhyperior Misdrevous, a shame its gone tho.....

~Mike

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Great going Pablo. This was my second choice for the day, and it was definitely a smart one.

Again, ANOTHER person that's proof of why we needed a seventh round. Why end swiss at 4 in the afternoon? I feel like six rounds, even with a 64 man field, is NOT enough to truly judge a worthy top cut (with all due respect, that is. I think the vast majority of the lot that made it were great, especially my new buds from Denmark and Argentina :D).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  11. Kempley05

Kempley05 New Member

Sorry about it pal :( Missing cuts that close is terrible - considering last year though, you've had a great season - hopefully see you in Orlando next year ;D

12. afirule

afirule New Member

unlucky mate- i know if ud made top cut, we'd be looking at a different top 4 lineup!
    great deck- well thought out and original!

13. LionheartEX

LionheartEX Active Member

After reading this report, I agree a 7th round is necessary

but should still allow a best 2/3 format with 45 minute rounds. that would make worlds a true competition.

Good job Pablo, and unlucky though :(

I was impressed so much. Maurice explained the deck to me after the event was done (and the cards effectively useless for a lot of us). Takes true brains to think of something like that.

14. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

GJ Pabs, was nice seeing you again. The deck was quite good.

Heroes returns this September ;x

15. charizard#1

charizard#1 New Member

Gj going 4-2.
    BTW I lost cut in seniors getting 19th as well.

16. CleffaGirl

CleffaGirl New Member

ughhh its okay pablo. ur still #1 in my heart<3
    but srsly, you made it to worlds and thats a huge accomplishment right there. plus 19th is notttt bad at all. and u'll obbvvvv win worlds next year ;p
    gj!!!

17. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

At least we got our 05 revenge. :cool: Nice seeing you again Pablo.

18. spoinkmaster

spoinkmaster New Member

Did everyone have to pwn jermy? XD

GJ, bad beat on resistence ;(

19. Ardoptres

Ardoptres New Member

It's too bad etc, but seriously,you could just have played better and gone 5-1... (no offence)
    Resistance is an unfair think though, i've missed cuts several times on it.. :(

20. Hatter™

Hatter™ Active Member

gj on 4-2, but DOH on the resistance
    *pablo flips coin*
    tails : (