Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Supporters and Play Area

FunnyBear

Player searches deck for an N, tosses it on the field. Inattentive opponent shuffles hand back into deck.
Ruling: DGL. Player left an N on the field, opponent did not maintain game state. Player should not have left N in the "play area".

Now, for the last 2 years, the proper play of a supporter is to put it directly into the discard pile. What does this mean "supporter was in the play area". No supporter should even be in the play area, that is not the way to play such a card. How is the player misleading the opponent if the N should not even be played that way? Why are we ruling these sorts of gamestate situations as if this mechanic had not been changed 2 years ago? I understand that many players and judges did not like this ruling change and many of us still play supporters to the field, but when it comes down to a penalty ruling, should we not be towing the line on correct playing of cards?

technically speaking, the card must go into play, and then hit the discard. I would play it just like the TCGO, the card you play goes onto the field to resolve, and is then discarded after it is resolved. The change of the rule was that the supporter no longer remains in play and is discarded immediately.

Now, for the last 2 years, the proper play of a supporter is to put it directly into the discard pile.

*Buzzer*

you mean: for the last 2 years, the popular shortcut to play a Trainer has been to put it directly into the discard pile.

The PROPER play of a Trainer such as a Supporter is to put it onto the Play field (to "play" it), perform it's effect, and THEN discard it.

*Buzzer*

you mean: for the last 2 years, the popular shortcut to play a Trainer has been to put it directly into the discard pile.

The PROPER play of a Trainer such as a Supporter is to put it onto the Play field (to "play" it), perform it's effect, and THEN discard it.

I learned something new today then. I'll make sure to do it right from now on.

Back