Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Survey of those who played at Nats. (Sleeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyameHikaru

Hey all players, I'm trying to gather more solid data to tell people what to expect when they go to Nats for the first time, particularly in the area of resleeving. So, if anyone could fill out a little survey for me, that'd be awesome. :)

1. How many times did you FULLY resleeve at Nats? (As in alll 60 cards getting new sleeves)
2. Which parts of the tournament did you play in? (Swiss/Top Cuts)
3. Approximately how many times did you resleeve single cards?
4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing?
5. At any time did someone (Player or Judge) ask you to resleeve and you couldn't see why?
6. Are you a hard shuffler, a medium shuffler, or a light shuffler?
7. What are, in your opinion, the best, most durable sleeves?
8. Any other comments on sleeves/resleeving.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
What do you mean by "grinder"? Sounds like you're thinking of something else.

Isn't a survey and a poll the same thing?

If so, this will probably be locked.

As for the questions, I didn't get to go to Nats, so I don't know. xD

1. Just the first time at the beginning of the tournament.
2. Swiss. Missed top cut. =/
3. 0 Times
4. None
5. No
6. mix of hard and medium
7. I played with Japanese Victini sleeves. It all depends really. I've played with some Ultra Pro that last very well, and some that went in one shuffle. Same with Dragon Shield. Sometimes you get lucky with a pack, sometimes you dont.
8. Nope

I used the ultra-pro zekrom/reshiram sleeves, and i played all 16 rounds with them. Warning-THEY'RE REALLY HARD TO SHUFFLE! XD

^that.

1. 0
2. All of it.
3. 0
4. 0
5. No
6. I'd say medium, I also bridge.
7. Dragon shield. I used one set of pink all the time i was in Indy.
8. Notrly.

I haven't been to a tournament in a few years, so this was from like 2009 but hopefully it still helps.

1. I did two times.
2. Swiss and then up to top 16.
3. 0
4. 0
5. No; I was asked to resleeve the first time because the sleeves I bought were too reflective and you could see the reflection of the card above the sleeve in the sleeve. I called a judge over to ask about it because the person across from me pointed it out. The second time was after day 1 when I ripped one of my sleeves all the way down the side while shuffling (unintentionally). I should have called a judge over but I didn't and got a prize penalty in top 32.
6. I shuffle a lot but it's mostly pile shuffling so I'd say medium-hard.
7. I'd just say the cheapest ones you can get; I'm rarely able to use the same sleeves for multiple tournaments without issue.
8. No

1. How many times did you FULLY resleeve at Nats? (As in alll 60 cards getting new sleeves)
Once
Players meeting day one/day two
Once
4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing?
It was on my own accord.
5. At any time did someone (Player or Judge) ask you to resleeve and you couldn't see why?
Was never asked
Light
Dragon shields
Posted with Mobile style...

Last edited:
Once before event
Swiss
never. I started with new sleeves

No
Light
Dragon shields, but I don't like them as much as Ultra Pro Pokemon sleeves. T-Tar and Regi sleeves are our preferred, but you always have to look at the deck from the side to make sure no card can be picked out. Sometimes they have side color or thickness variations which can make that happen
If you treat cards gently and don't shuffle your hand like a hyper-kinetic hummingbird on crack, your sleeves should last more than one tournament. I've had sleeves last an entire season.

None

Rounds 3-9 of Swiss, then Top 128-Finals (14 rounds total)

1-2 times

I always noticed when a card needed to be resleeved.

No

Medium

I've had mixed success with all sorts of sleeves, but now I just go with Ultra Pro. I used light blue Ultra Pro sleeves FWIW.

I wish a company would make durable sleeves that are easy to shuffle!

Isn't a survey and a poll the same thing?

If so, this will probably be locked.

As for the questions, I didn't get to go to Nats, so I don't know. xD

No. A poll looks for a one or two word answer.
And we lock them because they are meaningless (opinions with no back up)
If the discussion is meaningful, like this, then its fine.

1. How many times did you FULLY resleeve at Nats? (As in alll 60 cards getting new sleeves) none
2. Which parts of the tournament did you play in? (Swiss/Top Cuts)swiss
3. Approximately how many times did you resleeve single cards?3
4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing?myself checked sleaves after every round
5. At any time did someone (Player or Judge) ask you to resleeve and you couldn't see why?nope
6. Are you a hard shuffler, a medium shuffler, or a light shuffler?med to light

1. How many times did you FULLY resleeve at Nats? (As in alll 60 cards getting new sleeves) Once
2. Which parts of the tournament did you play in? (Swiss/Top Cuts) First 7 rounds
3. Approximately how many times did you resleeve single cards? Twice
4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing? None
5. At any time did someone (Player or Judge) ask you to resleeve and you couldn't see why? No
6. Are you a hard shuffler, a medium shuffler, or a light shuffler? Hard
7. What are, in your opinion, the best, most durable sleeves? Legion

1. Never
2. Swiss
3. NEver
4. See 3
5. No
6. I'd say light medium.
7. I've used RR sleeves a while; but I don't normally spend money on sleeves.
8. Not really.

Once

Swiss

Once. 1 sleeve broke right before my first match. -__-

4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing? No.

No.

Medium.

My Japanese Gym Challenge sleeves I used for nats. It doesn't even look like they were used.

n/a

Zero

Swiss

Once (caught a bad sleeve before round four)

Zero.

No. I have eyes like a hawk for sleeves, as mfgoodsdale can attest to. ;)

Hard shuffler

Not sure the specific make and year, but I have some truly amazing pink dragonshields. Although I've had to retire these due to how much trouble they give me for top cut (they attract dirt easily, I haven't had more than five break /crease in over half a decade. Now THAT'S durability!

Don't be shy about requesting a resleeve, and keep your eyes PEELED for any printing errors. On the flip side, don't be a jerk and assume the worst.

Last edited:
once
first 6 swiss rounds
8 or 9
light
kmc matte or ultra pro matte
nope

1. How many times did you FULLY resleeve at Nats? (As in alll 60 cards getting new sleeves) Zero.
2. Which parts of the tournament did you play in? (Swiss/Top Cuts) T32 - Masters
3. Approximately how many times did you resleeve single cards? Zero
4. Of the times for #3, how many of them were actually asked by a judge, as opposed to another player or just you yourself seeing it needed replacing? N/A
5. At any time did someone (Player or Judge) ask you to resleeve and you couldn't see why? No.
6. Are you a hard shuffler, a medium shuffler, or a light shuffler? Medium, I guess.
7. What are, in your opinion, the best, most durable sleeves? Ultra Pro No-Glare, hands down.
8. Any other comments on sleeves/resleeving. I haven't resleeved in months... Used the same sleeves through States and Nationals. They're amazing.

Once.
Swiss, a few 8 men, and a side event.
None.
None.
Nope.
Pretty hard.
Hmm, Dragon Shields. And the JPN Green Shaymin. I've been using them since CC's and their still playable.
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back