Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Swampert GE combos?

With its interesting power, high hp, and strong attack, this swampert looks pretty fun to me but I haven't seen any talk about it on the forums. Anybody know what it combos well with?

this might be a bit crazy, but u can play it with the CG swampert and blastoise d. i have 0 stradegy for it, so play it the way i play decks. knowck out pokemon due to sheer power!

the problem i had with swampert was getting the 4 energy. i found two possible solutions.
one was a 2-2-2 line of electivire lvl x with the motor drive electivire. the theory being run all lightning energy in the deck to be discarded and motor driven. attach holon castform to electivire then have swampert pull the castform to himself. it worked really well so long as you could avoid the castform starts
the second solution was to play a 2-1-2 flygon hp line. have flygon attach extra fighting or water energy to himself with delta supply and then again swampert could pull that energy to himself. but that means another stage 2 to set up...

What about Sandy CLoak Burmy/Womadam

SC Burmy can pull Fighting Energies out of the discard pile and attach them to himeself, then use Swampert to pull them up...Running DRE's and a couple waters wouldnt be a problem...

SC Wormadam also is great against GG, pevent the switching effect of Gallade (If on the bench), or prevents the outright placing of damage counters AND the switch when active. :wink:

Thanks for the tips guys. What about specifically with stuff that'll be legal in the next format (MT-on I'm guessing)?

It will be DP-on at the most. There is even a small chance of PK-on but most likely DP on because taking out 5 sets twice in a row is way too much.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Palkia/Mantine/Swampert with Holon's Castform. I played against it at regionals. It's very efficient.

Do you mind telling how this deck works because it seems confusing too me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. What about specifically with stuff that'll be legal in the next format (MT-on I'm guessing)?

well we know it won't be MT on, there are too many signs of that... mime/mime jr... for example. I don't know what you would use with it. I think alone is pretty good.

Do you mind telling how this deck works because it seems confusing too me.

Really? It's simple. Mantine gives everyone -2 retreat cost. Palkia switches both players' Pokes. Swampert allows switching of energies, which is what makes Holon's Castform so amazing. You attack, then switch your energies to another Swampert, attack, and repeat. it's a nasty cycle when it manages to set up quickly.

You could run Swampert ex and Altaria d ex to load up a Pokemon. Altaria d ex puts energy on Stage 2 exs. Not an amazing combo, though.

Last edited:
Ok, so I made a DP-on (I'm trying to plan ahead here) list using TSDMage's and Blazi-King's posted strategies:

Pokemon (23):
4 Mudkip (GE)
1 Marshtomp (GE)
4 Swampert (GE)
3 Mantyke (DP)
3 Mantine (MT)
2 Burmy Sandy Cloak (SW)
2 Wormdam Sandy Cloak (SW)
2 Palkia (DP/GE)
2 Pachirisu (GE)

Trainers (23):
1 Switch (for before I get Mantine up)
2 Amulet Coin
2 Night Maintenance
2 PlusPower
2 Team Galactic’s Wager
3 Bebe’s Search
3 Felicity’s Drawing
4 Rare Candy
4 Roseanne’s Research

Energies (14):
8 Water
6 Fighting

So what do you think?

Ok, so I made a DP-on (I'm trying to plan ahead here) list using TSDMage's and Blazi-King's posted strategies:

Pokemon (23):
4 Mudkip (GE)
1 Marshtomp (GE)
4 Swampert (GE)
3 Mantyke (DP)
3 Mantine (MT)
2 Burmy Sandy Cloak (SW)
2 Palkia (DP/GE)
2 Pachirisu (GE)

Trainers (23):
2 Amulet Coin
2 Night Maintenance
2 PlusPower
2 Team Galactic’s Wager
3 Bebe’s Search
3 Felicity’s Drawing
4 Rare Candy
4 Roseanne’s Research

Energies (14):
8 Water
6 Fighting

So what do you think?

I suggest going one verion or the other...Otherwise you may have some consistancy issues.

For my version...Something like this:
4-3-3-1 Swampert (1 being the CG one).
4-4 Wormadan Sandy
2-2 Claydol (Or a starter like Absol, Stantler (Something to help facilitate setup)

Trainers are like this: TVR, Mentor, maybe Felicity's(To help Burmy's power). Then Celios, Candy, etc.

4 DRE
6 Water
6 Fighting

the major flaw with the burmy strategy is that the burmies only pull energy from the discard pile if they are the ACTIVE pokemon, which doesnt benefit swampert very much.

Plus, Burmy has... Frankly fail HP. You don't want those things on the field active for even a turn.

Let's slow down a sec; what are Swampert's problems?
1) Stage 2.
2) 4 Energy needed to attack.
3) 80 damage doesn't OHKO Blaziken GE. 80 damage isn't particularly problematic to Gardevoir unless it's fast, which the last flaw disproves. Not enough damage to scare even Eevee-lutions either.

So. What can we do to fix the problems?
1) Hi Claydol. We love draw support.
2) Hi Double Rainbow. We'll need counter stadiums now though, 'cause this'll make Crystal Beach truely devastating. Swampert EX is a cute idea, but the double grass weakness will be a major liability, and ending a turn even with Holon Circle is asking for trouble.
3) Well, Double Rainbow just worsened this problem. Seems like if we can't OHKO, and we don't want Swampert to get donked by something quickly... We'll just need to have something spread the damage first. What makes something spread damage well? If it puts something in KO range with only one attack, and needs a low ammount of energy to do so. We come 20 short without DRE of Blaziken KOs. 2 DREs puts us 20 damage short of KOing popular Fire Pokemon. We come 20 damage short of KOing Glaceon LV.X (without Espeon). Notice a common amount of damage that we come short by? Lucario only costs 2 energy (Fighting, but those are moveable by Swampert) to Aura Sphere, and places 40 damage on active while putting 20 somewhere else. Lucario is NOT OHKOed by Gardevoir. Lucario can bring Gallade to 110 HP (+30 Psychic Weakness), which is a magic number for the observant. It seems like Luc and Swampert make a decent team, especially with Claydol support.

That's essentially my Regionals deck, which hilariously enough did great in the one match I played against Plox, where the opponent did a Furret set up and they had everything out fast (Lucario is amazingly helpful in that matchup, as bizarre as that might seem), but had amazing problems against Togekiss/Garchomp or Ho-Oh due to a lack of Anti-Crystal Beach tricks. Give it a try...

Pokemon (23):
4 Mudkip (GE)
1 Marshtomp (GE)
4 Swampert (GE)
3 Mantyke (DP)
3 Mantine (MT)
2 Burmy Sandy Cloak (SW)
2 Palkia (DP/GE)
2 Pachirisu (GE)

Trainers (23):
2 Amulet Coin
2 Night Maintenance
2 PlusPower
2 Team Galactic’s Wager
3 Bebe’s Search
3 Felicity’s Drawing
4 Rare Candy
4 Roseanne’s Research

Energies (14):
8 Water
6 Fighting

So what do you think?

Um, lol. The ONLY reason the deck I speak of used Palkia was for Lv. X. 2-2 line. What would be the point of simply running just the regular Palkias?

Back