T2 Kabutops...By Kabutops

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Kabutops141, Jun 4, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

Yeah. So I'm reallly tired of GG/Mag and I wanted to build something different. Since Kabutops is interesting, and I have nothing better to do, I decided to build Kabutops. I really haven't played any real games, so I don't really know how good it'll do. It has, however, been doing well in testing. I can usually get a T2 Tops and a T3/T4 Aerodactyl. So, on to the list.

Pokemon~13
    3 Kabuto MD
    4 Kabutops MD
    2 Aerodactyl MD
    2 Baltoy GE
    2 Claydol GE

Trainers~31
    4 Dome Fossil
    2 Old Amber
    4 Fossil Excavator
    3 Bebe's Search
    2 Rare Candy
    2 Steven's Advice
    3 Team Galactic's Wager
    3 Professor Oak's Visit
    2 Night Maintenance
    2 Roseanne's Research
    3 Plus Power
    1 Warp Point

Energy~16
    10 Fighting Energy
    4 DRE
    2 Holon FF

Possible Additions~ Dusknoir, -1 Excavator +1 Bebe's

Strategy ~ The strategy is to get a T2 Tops w/ a DRE and put a damper on your opponent's set-up. Aerodactl is there because it's just sooo good. I really don't need any Holon Fossil because Kabuto/Bebe/Excavator can get everything needed out. Again, I was just soo bored and wanted to make something with Tops. Please rate/comment. Any advice is welcome.

~Tops

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

So what happens if they promote a Togekiss, Gyarados or something similar with resistance?

3. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

Good Question. What do you suggest? I could always throw in a few FF's to cover it up.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

i would take out the scrambles and Put in FF. i wouldnt worry about togekiss becuz it almost never attacks and is only for setup, plus kabutops will stop the rarecandy from working. biggest problem for this deck is latilock, if the opponent gets latilock early than its game over. i actually really like kabutops but i dont honestly know how its gonna do in the metagame. it kicks empoleons *** as far as i know. plus tangrowth owns it.

5. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

I agree. Scrambles really don't help that much according to my testing. To stop latilok, which I do believe will be played, I could always tech in dusknoir. If I do, I would probably need 1 more Rare Candy.

6. The Breeder

The Breeder New Member

The deck looks nice, but why 4 DRE...I know it helps the speed but it totally cancels out the effect of Kabutops attack too >_>. The reason why people love Kabutops is the bench damaging effect that make you think about Flygon delta ex.

7. AnimeDDR110

AnimeDDR110 New Member

No Omastar?
    Aerodactyl is not needed, and If i were you I would add in a 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 line of omastar, and a 1-0-1 line of duskinoir. Also replace one of the MD kabutops with 1 PK Kabutops.

8. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

4 DRE almost insures that I get at least 1 in my starting hand/1st few draws. After I set up the first Tops w/ a DRE and a Fighting energy, I can then easily set up my second one up with Fighting Energies and FF. I may take out one DRE if I decide to tech in a Dusknoir.

Also, I tried a 1/1/1 Omastar, but it just didn't seem to work out seeing that DRE took away part of the dmg spread early game and Helix fossil start is just plain BAD. Aerodactyl is here because it helps a lot with damage spread and is easier to set up with Kabuto around. Also, since your opponent is being forced not to use trainers, they are even more likely to want to use powers to set up. I haven't tried PK Kabutops yet, but since I probably won't run Omastar, I may not need it. I will, however, try the Omastar/Tops PK idea, just to see how it works out.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. Iinin_Hero

Iinin_Hero New Member

Scramble any1?
    Kabutops and DRE, isn't very good combo. T2 60 :l
    HOLON FOSSIL?! Where are you..

Holon Fossil is basic stuff in fossil decks.. Holon Fossil get Aero in the bench, without pre-evo. BF don't shut down your Aero's Poke Body.

10. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

The concept of this deck isn't to dish out quick and heavy damage, it's to disrupt your opponent's set-up w/ Tops's body. DRE is there so he ccan attack T2. Also, Holon Fossil really isn't needed IMO bc you can just set up your Aeros with Kabuto.

11. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

I tried almost this exact build barring a few supporter choices, and I had 4 Chatot instead of 2-2 Claydol. I think Chatot is the better pick because if you do start with it you don't have to waste energy drops on it when you can drop Dome if you draw it and attach/evolve. Claydol is much superior draw, however, and your build lacks other supporters for draw--my list ran a couple Copycat in addition to other draw.

My biggest problem with the deck is that it's fairly low damage output and there's no flexibility...all you can do is charge up multiple Tops and do 60 with them. Another thing that worries me is that you have no counter to Crystal Beach. Without DRE this deck just doesn't work.

I would consider adding Holon Fossil so you can play Aerodactyl d to fetch energy and to speed up the deck. Holon Fossil adds a lot of speed to the deck.

12. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

Mrdraz- I don't really like the idea of a starter seeing that I really need to start wih dome fossil and proceed from there. I agree that I probably need a few windstorm, though I have to disagree with you on the point that w/o DRE the deck falls apart. I really only need DRE for the 1st Tops so he can attack early. I just keep the 1st one up there and charge #2 w/ Fighting energy and FF. Thanks for the advice tho! I agree on the point that I may need windstorms.

Drac- Thanx, I would like to fit in an ampharos, but I would need to put in Dusknoir b4 I put in any other tech.

13. Zero Hax

Zero Hax New Member

aerodactyl sucks to be honest. i've playtested this deck with it and i really never use it. :/

14. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

Really?? Well, I guess that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I like Aerodactyl because sooo many decks run Claydol nowadays. If I get it out early, it can damper their setup furtermore. It'll either damage their pokemon, which only helps Tops's attack, or it'll make your opponent think twice about using powers, which is also good. TGW also, in a wierd way, combos with this card. If your opponent loses and draws 3, they will most likely use claydol to get a new 6, therefore, damaging itself.

15. Zero Hax

Zero Hax New Member

eh, it's decent. you really need 2 for claydol to be scared of anything. they still get 3 turns of cosmic if you only have 1. :/

and plus, you never really do bench damage with tops, he's almost always just doing 60 cause of DRE.

16. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

I agree. It is much better and much harder on your opponent if you have 2 out.

17. charchar

charchar New Member

some scrambles in teh deck?

18. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

I had some, but took them out for FF, seeing that a single Gyarados/Togekiss could destroy the deck. I usually take the first few prizes anyway, seeing that this deck does a total of 80 dmg by turn two.

19. charchar

charchar New Member

togekiss and gyarados? never saw that. becuase of resistnece and it can do massive damage? but u have no weakness.

20. Kabutops141

Kabutops141 New Member

Reread FF. If you have a Fighting energy attached, resistance is not applied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.