Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T2 Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwill

It's a very consistant deck which has been doing very well in testings at the begening of DP, and I'm wondering how it would handle the format right now.

4x Mawile CG
4x Magnemite DP
3x Magneton (2DP , 1PK)
4x Magnezone
=15

4x Double Rainbow Energy
3x Metal Energy (sp)
9x Metal Energy
=16

4x Energy Switch
4x Rare Candy
4x Celio's Network
4x PokéNav
4x Pokédex
3x Great Ball
2x Master Ball
4x Prof Oak's Visit
1x Steven's advice
=29

No space for Night Maintenance, but I haven't been missing it because most of the times if the opponent is able to take down 4 Magnezones you loose even if you take them back ...
Same for windstorm, the opponent's cesstions and beachs are rarely annoying
It lacks a bit of draw but I can't really cut the other cards (perhaps a energy switch?)
The strategy is to get a t2 Magnezone with DRE. It even works if you start with Mawile, all you need is a energy switch.
It might seem like a unreliable deck but the worse I've done out of loads of games with this is t3.
Any help and comments appreciated.

I see lots of speed there! 4 PokeNav & 4 PokeDex is going to run through your stuff quick. Overall I find your trainer setup to be pretty creative and solid. If you really needed other trainers the PokeNave would be where I looked first, though obviously you like them and they are handy.

Aside from Night Maintenance the one thing I really see missing from your deck is Switch / Warp Point to get rid of special conditions. With free retreat you could really abuse those.

Matchup thoughts

T2 Tune – looks good for you. Mawile is resistant so you can setup ... and once you get a ‘Zone set up you are doing 80 a turn OHKOing their Kricktunes.

Blissey – winnable but not as nice for you. The matchup probably favors Blissey most of the time with their speed. Will depend a lot on the build though.

Banette – looks good for you since you have resistance.

Infernape – looks bad for you.

Empoleon – winnable but really hard. Odds are in their favor.

Mario – I’ll call it even though it might be slightly in your favor.

Meganium & other status inducing decks – winnable with free retreat but I see them wearing you down on average without Switch.

Why only 3 SP Metal and not 4? 4 SP and 8 basic metal would be beter wouldnt it? And I would run some Double rainbow for speed and scramble for when you get behind. You really can not call a deck with Stage 2 Pokemon deck T2 though.

JandPDS > I run only 3 SP to avoid to have only 1 Sp and mawile in hand at the begening oif the game making energy switch useless.
I already have 4 Double rainbows, and scramble isn't really effective in the deck (already tried)
And I've tried many times a stage 2 t2 deck and it nearly never worked, but trust me this one does, just test it.

Vanderbilt > I'm not a fan of a pokedex and pokenav, but everything else I tried for a t2 didn't work.
I sometimes lack switching cards but usually free retreat + energy switch is enough to get ou of trouble.
From what I tested kricketune could be quite hard, it really depends on who starts. I'm not really sure about blissey yet, but empoleon isn't that bad, I won more than lost against thoses.
I also have a slower version of the deck with tauros and delcatty which is a bit slower but has more space, and with metal energys and buffer pieces you can andle infernape.
I haven't tested much this deck against mario, but the special metal energys really annoys them.
Anyway I'll retest all of this when I have time. Thanks for the comments, and any more inputs are appreciated :)

We do run 4 Pokenav + 4 Pokedex in all our Blissey builds and it's so good.
I thought that was mentioned as being the TRUK engine, but later on I realized Pokenav is not played in NA.
Funny thing that Europeans are playing Pokenav in T2 decks (Yes any Stage 2 can be a T2 deck that way). We adore the card in certain decks.

I did play against an almost simular Magnezone deck during BR's and I really had problems with Blissey to win it. Magnezone can hit so unexpected hard.

Last edited:
Pokenav is good to get all thoses special energys in blissey aswell.

I know, I most times have my Boost/FF without problems.
As for what to change in your deck, You might want to try out Sableye SW i.s.o. Mawile.
It's doing very well in my current Blissey version.
Energy Switch can be cut down to 2 (don't drop them all) to add 1 Night Maintenance and 1 more draw perhaps.

I not only use energy switch for setup, it's a very usefull card late game to hit with surprise or to abuse more effectivly of magnezone's body. I'll try but I don't think I'll like doing this, a 6th straight draw card would be appreciated though, maybe instead of a magneton ?

3 out of 4 times Victory medal will be less effective than pokenav or pokedex, so looking at the space I have left I'd rather stick with thoses.

I not only use energy switch for setup, it's a very usefull card late game to hit with surprise or to abuse more effectivly of magnezone's body. I'll try but I don't think I'll like doing this, a 6th straight draw card would be appreciated though, maybe instead of a magneton ?

What about 1 Great ball for 1 draw?
You have several ways to obtain your basics - Masterball, Pokenav, Handy, Celio.

Don't chance to much, I know this "engine" works very well.
It's not about draw, but about search.

But if you want to, there is also
1 Great Ball for 1 Roseanna.
1 Masterball for 1 Castaway.
Both of them can also get you a basic nrg.

Personal I would go for at least 1 Warp Point to be added.

i like this deck, what i would do is play duskball over master ball as my pokémon always are at the bottem of my deck. (but that is only personal). I also think a warppoint or a switch could make a difference. You mentioned that you do not have any problems against CC or Beach (beach is not played here in my region there are more battle frontiers) but what if they have one i think a warppoint could come in handy. I really like the deck. Keep the turn 2 decks comming.

Duskball actually seem better than masterball after a pokenav, I might switch to thoses thanks.
Rainbowgym > I'll try thoses thanks, I hope it won't hurt the consistancy

hey will matey!
id say dusk ball would be the better choice as well. might it also be useful in the odd situation with prof oaks visit as well? just a thought!

i really like this deck will, it looks fun!
p.s. will email you bout a hp-dp2 list ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back