Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Talking Pokemon (interpreted)?

SGH Erika

The other night, my son came flying up the stairs, out of breath exclaiming "Dad, the Pokemon are talking, there're talking !"

What??? So I watched the show with him. I think theis was an old episode called "Island of the Giant Pokemon" or something like that. Anyway, printed words were appearing (like watching a foregien film) telling us what the Pokemon were saying. I have to admidt, this was cool and cute. I can never, ever, recall seeing Pokemon language interpreted for us on screen.

Are there any other episodes like this?

Unfortunately, this was the only episode to feature subtitles under what the Pokémon were saying. There was one episode similar to it, though. It occured around the Johto era when Meowth and Pikachu and handcuffed to eachother and have to cooperate with one another and understand eachother. It's a cute episode in the same sense that it's like "Island of the Giant Pokémon" where we get to know the Pokémon's personalities more.

Don't forget about that one Johto episode with that guy who got locked in the basement and some Pokemon like Rattata and Oddish were talking to him human talk.

I dunno, i wonder if you can even count the naturally talking pokés as talking pokés. That's why i think the basement rattata episode is more similar to the Island ep than any other event is to it. Because it's a speech that the pokés naturally give in their name-repeat lingo. Mewtwo and them dont count cuz it's like...i dunno...cheating. The basement ep is like watching a foriegn film dubbed and the Island ep is like seeing a foreign film subbed. The other talkers are just plain speaking english, so i think they are less similar, technically. Am i even making sense? Sigh...

Last edited:
I know this isn't really a pokemon talking, but in the episode last week when Ash caught Corphish, treecko's voice was different.

Generally we dont have to have the Pokemon talk, Meowth is always around to translate....

which reminds me, another great episode like the "Island" one. The one where Meowth and Pikachu get seperated and are stuck to each other by some stupid TR device. It is a very halerious episode....

One thing that really annoyed me about the "Mewtwo's Return" video was how Mewtwo always repeated what his minions were saying so that viewers could understand:

"Pika-Pikachu! Pika! Pikapikachuu!"
"You're saying that you're getting tired of how I've become so slow lately that I have to repeat everything before I reply?"
"Pi."
"Hmm."

I think it's the cloning process.

I know. However, people think at a much faster rate than they speak, so it's naturally assumed that time has slowed down when we hear them thinking. When Mewtwo's repeating everything, time is flowing normally, making him look dumb.

What's odd is, it doesn't sound slow-minded when Meowth does it. He always repeats things in a context, either in surprise/incrediculity, or as a direct translation for any humans nearby. Sometimes, he doesn't repeat things, but you know what was said from his reaction. When he was tied to Pikachu, their conversation sounded normal.

Not so for Mewtwo. Mewtwo always repeated things as they were before replying. That just got on my nerves :(

i dunno, i think Meowth is equally guilty of the same crime here...like one of my favorite episodes to mention, the Pudgey Pidgey Isle episode. Look at that one alone, when he was chatting with Orville, he was saying stuff in the model of "What's that? You say [blah blah blah blah blah]?" That sounds like a little girl talking to her dollies. I really wish they would just have normal conversations because there's a high chance we'll be able to figure out what they just said...

Back