Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Team Aqua & Magma energy cards

pkmnmstr14

I looked at the team aqua & magma energy cards and the team aqua energy card is worded as
" Aqua energy provides :water: and :darkness: energy but provides 2 energy at a time. " and the team Magma energy says " Magma energy provides :fighting: and/or :darkness: energy but provides 2 energy at a time. " I wanted to know if you should play it as it says or play as how???

you get two units of energy.

you get to decide upon the type of each of the two units of energy.

So for AQUA ENERGY you can have WW or WD, or DD
similarly for MAGMA ENERGY you can have :fighting: :fighting: or :fighting: D, or DD

pkmnmstr14 said:
I looked at the team aqua & magma energy cards and the team aqua energy card is worded as
" Aqua energy provides :water: and :darkness: energy but provides 2 energy at a time. " and the team Magma energy says " Magma energy provides :fighting: and/or :darkness: energy but provides 2 energy at a time. " I wanted to know if you should play it as it says or play as how???
I'm curious as to how you see these as giving different results, other than the difference between Fighting and Water, that is.
They are just different ways of saying the same thing.
Odd that the cards were templated differently since they are in the same set.

It looks more like evidence of translation rather than templating :(

any chance of a :water: , :darkness: and :metal: emoticons??

Last edited:
I think pkmnmstr is trying to point out the difference between "and" on the aqua card and "and/or" on the magma card. The "and" could mean it MUST provide both types, that is Water and Dark, and NOT 2 of one kind.

FYI, here's the Japanese version of these two cards. IMO, it's pretty clear that there's a choice:

Fakecard.com said:
* MAGMA ENERGY (ENERGY - Special Energy)
Attach Magma Energy to any of your Pokemon with Magma in its name. At the end of
your turn, discard Magma Energy.
Magma Energy provides any number of Fighting or Darkness Energy but provides
only 2 at a time.
If at any time the Pokemon Magma Energy is attached doesn't have Magma in its
name, discard Magma Energy.
79/80 Uncommon [Takumi Akabane]

* AQUA ENERGY (ENERGY - Special Energy)
Attach Aqua Energy to any of your Pokemon with Aqua in its name. At the end of
your turn, discard Magma Energy.
Aqua Energy provides any number of Water or Darkness Energy but provides only 2
at a time.
If at any time the Pokemon Aqua Energy is attached doesn't have Aqua in its
name, discard Aqua Energy.
80/80 Uncommon [Takumi Akabane]

Sorry i didn't explane i mean the aqua says " water AND darkness " and the Magma says " :fighting: AND/OR darkness " so does that mean that we play aqua as ONLY 1 water and 1 darkess and we play magma as any combination of :fighting: and darkness?

I guess I'm not seeing that limitation.
Compare it to Rainbow. It provides Water AND Darkness (and a bunch of other colors) but only one energy.

The AND refers to colors provided, not quantity of each.

Back