Team sealed? Where's the new rules?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by BANGINBOX, Feb 15, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BANGINBOX

BANGINBOX New Member

Hey everyone,

I was going thru the origins post and noticed that there is going to be a team sealed event. If I am not mistaken that was an official WoTC format. The way that we concocted the rules for that particular format, if I remeber correctly, was done RIGHT HERE on the boards.

So, I guess that this is the official link to any suggested changes for team play. With the Nintendo rules for single play, it only makes sense to also modify (no pun intended) ;) this format as well.

We have been playing the team format here in chicago since gencon, and have made some changes to the game with the addition of the nintendo rules. There are only a few thing that we needed to do differently. most everything remained the same except the following......

1) 6 prizes! With the addition of EX pokemon the old way of 5 prizes would not even give us an oppritunity to set up. Thus taking away the satisfication of seeing your decks work to there full potential. We are still finishing games in around 35-40 mins.

2) during the first turn..... the first player on each team would not draw a card. Therefore leveling the playing field, and not giving one team a particular advantage.

3) we are still struggling with attacks like magneton (dragon) if my partner and i both have magneton active would I add in his energy as well?

So, as you see, these changes are not huge. It will however make for a much smoother game. I suggest POP add a section in their weekly rules update for team play questions. there a ton of attacks that need to be ruled on before Origins.

my 2 cents,
    jimmy

2. Tahna

Tahna New Member

As you might know, PUI have officially stated that Team Play is not an official format as of now, so they see no use in giving rulings for a format which will never see tournament play. We've been playing some non-sanctioned tournaments over here and had similar problems (we even decided to ban Gardevoir EX because of its inert brokenness in team play), so do not hope for any 'official' on team play, as we are the best you get.

3. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Erm... as he said, there already IS a "Team Sealed" event scheduled at Origins, so the format will obviously see some tournament play, and there'll have to be some official rules for it.

But, I agree, if they do actually plan to have a Team Format, they they do need to clarify how TMP is gonna adapt to the new rules. A specific rule that I'd like to know is, would attacks meant to attack both actives in 2v2 play (I.E. Typhlosion ex's 'Split Blast') affect both opponents?

4. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

From what I understand, PUI's "team play" is vastly different than WotC's "Team play".

I'm not certain, but I think it will be more along the lines of two games going on side by side, not one 4-player game. This needs to be confirmed, though.

5. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

That's not as fun. :( 4-Player battles was a new thing to R/S GBA games so why not make that into a type of gameplay. They already have specific attacks for 2 Vs 2 so strategies are just waiting for Team play. They just need to make rulings on those "you or Your" trainers that Wotc let be played for your teammate.

6. Rainbowgym

Rainbowgym Active Member

I can answer some of those questions, because we still play a lot of team overhere and completed some of the rulings.

Gardevoir- EX is banned from team.
    As soon as a pokemoncard with a Poke Power (and I mean each PP) comes into play, you announce which players is going to use that power. You mark that card with a colored fishe. And the person who can use that Poke Power as long as that card is in play gets a fishe of the same color. This will not change during play.
    That is different from WotC ruling, but it works and makes team very nice to play.
    I will explain more about that if you wish, just PM me.

Play with each teammember 6 prizes. you have a 60 card deck so why less prizes. Just try it, you be suprised.
    In case a player of a team is removed (knocked out) from play, the other teammember has to fill up his prizesstack with the remaining amount of prizes his/her teammate had left over at the time he/she was out of play. But you never fill up more than a total of 6 prizes.

Drop the first turn no card rule, it's not making sence in team, unless you also don't let the first player of the opposite team also not drawing a card.

Magneton is easy, you can choose to count your energy OR the energy of your teammate. (it's called self referring so you don't read including Magneton, but including this cards instead).

I have some more rulings for team, but all of them are not official or whatever, we only worked them out because our players love to play team.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

'Team Sealed' sounds like two players get a pool of cards and have to build two viable decks. One each.

8. BANGINBOX

BANGINBOX New Member

Still wondering

Has anyone found out any new information on this event? With Origins beng just weeks away now It would be nice to try and get prepared.

jimmy

9. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

Considering that the judging staff hasn't seen anything yet either, this is way late and needs to be either:

A. Scrapped
    B. Renamed to a different event

I really don't want to walk into the convention the day of or the day prior and get handed the rules. It's not fair to the players and it's not fair to the staff.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  10. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Agreed. We're not going to see the WotC Team Rules anymore and I think the POP concept on Team (if one even exists) is very different.

That difference will cause a flood of ruling questions that POP does not have time to answer. The format should have been sent to Professors and asked for the inevitable corrections... *cough* Mr. Liesik *cough*
    -Phil

11. Dendrobatida

Dendrobatida New Member

And thus, what about us folks who have already paid for a seat in that tournament? Refunds?

I'm sure they'll work it out somehow, but you folks raise some good points, and my $16.50 and I are interested in seeing how it turns out.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  12. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

Me too! although I was psyched to play a Team event (but did expect some format rules to be out way before now!) :D

13. Prof. Douglas Zuver

Prof. Douglas Zuver New Member

This event was introduced at Gen Con Southern California.

I did discuss with the Judge of the event what it would be like, however I did not see the event run.

I was faced with the choice between visiting with relatives that I had not seen in a long time and playing Pokemon, I choose to visit my family on Sunday instead.

My discusion with him on the matter was something like this:

Three people got together as a Team.
    They paid $15 each for a total of $45 for the Team.
    They each received 6 packs for a total of 18 packs for the Team.
    The team sat down together and opened their packs together.
    The team used cards from all 18 packs to make 3 decks.
    Each player took one of those three decks to play with for the entire event.
    Each team would be pared up against another team using the computer.

I assume that each player's team would get a temporary team name.
    The computer would pair teams against each other.
    I assume that each player on each team would be assigned a letter.
    These letters would not change during the tournament.
    So team "grand" would have a player a, b and c.
    Aslo team "great" would have a player a, b and c.

Now, when the computer pairs team "grand" versus team "great",
    Player a on team "grand" would play a single game versus Player a on team "great"
    Player b on team "grand" would play a single game versus Player b on team "great"
    Player c on team "grand" would play a single game versus Player c on team "great"

Now the judges would keep track of all three separate individual games, and
    write down the scores of each one.
    All three games are counted towards a team's win or loss.
    Whichever team wins at least two of the three games will win the match.
    That team is given a match win and entered into the computer as a win for that team.
    A tie in possible in two ways:
    If both teams agree to a tie
    or
    If both teams only win one game and the third game is a tie.

After the results are entered for the round,
    new pairing are done with new teams playing each other.

This is my impression of what it would have been like.
    The event may have been cancelled due to lack of players,
    so I don't know what actually happened.
    You would need at least 4 teams of three people each to run the event.

This is much different than WotC's team battles.

Hope this helps, If things have changed since then, well, whatever...

14. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

Sounds fun...if I'm able to get to Origins other than just Saturday anyone wanna team up? XD Like heck I'll team up with my little bro...he went like 1-4 in the last prerelease...because he got a bye...he's good at modified...but he ain't to great at limited XD Having 18 packs to choose from is great...you won't really have to worry about not getting the basics/stage 1s you need.

15. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

That format actually sounds pretty fun. :)

16. Master_Prof_Juggie

Master_Prof_Juggie New Member

That format is how they run Sealed Magic teams events.

They get a pool of product to open & build 3 decks for them to use.

Play A plays Player A & so on.

The match is a best of 3 or a tie as mentioned.

It works really well & is HEAPS of fun ... you get to play all day with your mates sitting next to you.

17. DaytonGymLeader

DaytonGymLeader New Member

I don't think it's going to be teams of 3, since the cost is around $20. I think they're going to wrap 2on2 battles into this somehow. I could be wrong though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.