Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Thank You Pat!!!

Lugias_Realm

Not to make lite on any other soldier or Volunteer that has given the GREATEST sacrifice that can ever be asked of them, that which is there life. I would like to pass on my deepest sympathy and heart felt thanks to Pat Tillman & Family.
As an Arizonan, the news of his death during a fire fight yesterday in Afghanistan really hits home. He is someone who gave up everything in the minds of others but nothing in his. His calling to protect our Country and by pass millions in the NFL was never given a second thought. This is indeed a very sad outcome for a man who's only goal it seemed in life was to only be the best that he could be. Thank You Pat. May God look over you and yours as you were trying to do for all of us...

Last edited:
this is truly a sad day ......A tragic loss of one of the finest human beings on this planet.
I saw this quote today and want to post it to reflect what we are all feeling:

Rep. J.D. Hayworth, R-Arizona, said, "Where do we get such men as these? Where to we find these people willing to stand up for America?"

"He chose action rather than words. He just wanted to serve his country. He was a remarkable person," Hayworth said. "He lived the American dream, and he fought to preserve the American dream and our way of life."

God speed Pat...........

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, I'd like to say that this young man's sacrifice for his country is no different than that made by any of the other young men and women who are serving this country in the armed forces and have given their lives in its service.

Yes, he gave up much more, money/job-wise than most people do to serve...but every single person who serves in the armed forces gives up everything that means the most to them when they make that decision. EVERYONE leaves their loved ones behind, not knowing if they will ever see them again; EVERYONE leaves their home, job, treasured material goods, etc.

It's admirable that this young man did so...but I can't help but think that all the attention given to him does a disservice to all the other nameless, faceless 'average servicemen/women' who have given up all THEY held dear to defend this country, just as he did. Maybe they didn't give up an NFL career, but they certainly made the very same sacrifice that he did; my deepest sympathies to the families of all those who have laid down their lives for this country. Namuamidabutsu...

JMHO,
'mom

It is a very sad day to me a man as great as him lose his life in war. :(

Mom is right in saying he gave the sacrificer all men who go to war to and he lost in his fight but i just hope in heaven he can be at peace knowing he fought to keep this country free.

SD PokéMom said:
At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, I'd like to say that this young man's sacrifice for his country is no different than that made by any of the other young men and women who are serving this country in the armed forces and have given their lives in its service.

Yes, he gave up much more, money/job-wise than most people do to serve...but every single person who serves in the armed forces gives up everything that means the most to them when they make that decision. EVERYONE leaves their loved ones behind, not knowing if they will ever see them again; EVERYONE leaves their home, job, treasured material goods, etc.

It's admirable that this young man did so...but I can't help but think that all the attention given to him does a disservice to all the other nameless, faceless 'average servicemen/women' who have given up all THEY held dear to defend this country, just as he did. Maybe they didn't give up an NFL career, but they certainly made the very same sacrifice that he did; my deepest sympathies to the families of all those who have laid down their lives for this country. Namuamidabutsu...
QUOTE]
If you would have read the 1st few lines of my post(or maybe you did but it just didn't matter) It states that I am not trying to single out 1 individual over any of the others who have so galantly given of there lives for our protection. However with Pat Tillman being a Arizona boy and all of the stories that have surrounded him since leaving football and doing what he did in order to follow a belief and become a Army Ranger, I myself find this to be a man committed to doing whatever he could for the betterment of this Country with no recourse in mind, no fan fare needed.
In my own opinion I find your comments very unsympathetic, and totally missing the point. Post was started as away of saying Thank You, not for you to come on and belittle the situation which is what I feel you have done...

Last edited:
Lugias_Realm said:
SD PokéMom said:

QUOTE]
If you would have read the 1st few lines of my post(or maybe you did but it just didn't matter) It states that I am not trying to single out 1 individual over any of the others who have so galantly given of there lives for our protection. However with Pat Tillman being a Arizona boy and all of the stories that have surrounded him since leaving football and doing what he did in order to follow a belief and become a Army Ranger, I myself find this to be a man committed to doing whatever he could for the betterment of this Country with no recourse in mind, no fan fare needed.
In my own opinion I find your comments very unsympathetic, and totally missing the point. Post was started as away of saying Thank You, not for you to come on and belittle the situation which is what I feel you have done...

You need to take it down a notch, no one is belittling anyone, 'mom was just saying his sacrifice is NO greater than the thousands before who died defending our country over the years no matter where he is from or who he was. If anyone is being unsympathetic it is you, you have made your post and stated your point, do not infringe on everybody else's right to free speech and thier own opinion. Isn't this one of the reasons Pat died defending our freedoms?

Last edited:
Having a public figure like Pat Tillman go through the story of many Americans in signing up for armed forces after 9/11 brought the stories and feeling of all those people closer to home I think. I watch Sportscenter and sports in general all the time and I remember hearing the story of Pat joining the army. Some time since then Sportscenter had an interview with him and did a story with much of his family. I have been watching the re-runs of many of these interviews and hearing more of the life and decisions of Pat Tillman today on Sportscenter. It does bring the thoughts of people choosing this life into view for many Americans. Honestly you hear names of Americans who lose their life in the Middle East wars but to most people they're just names. We don't know them or anything about them and probably because of this don't think about what they've done as much. Atleast thanks to Pat Tillman many people (mostly sports fans) know a little more about people making this decision to fight for their country and have a story to relate to when they hear other 'no-names' in the news on the war. So no we shouldn't think more of Pat Tillman than any other soldier because he may have sacrificed a more luxurious life. But because of a public figure like Pat Tillman, who some of us can feel like we know or know the story of, we can appreciate more all other soldiers putting their life on the line in Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere.

Pidgeotto Trainer said:
Having a public figure like Pat Tillman go through the story of many Americans in signing up for armed forces after 9/11 brought the stories and feeling of all those people closer to home I think. I watch Sportscenter and sports in general all the time and I remember hearing the story of Pat joining the army. Some time since then Sportscenter had an interview with him and did a story with much of his family. I have been watching the re-runs of many of these interviews and hearing more of the life and decisions of Pat Tillman today on Sportscenter. It does bring the thoughts of people choosing this life into view for many Americans. Honestly you hear names of Americans who lose their life in the Middle East wars but to most people they're just names. We don't know them or anything about them and probably because of this don't think about what they've done as much. Atleast thanks to Pat Tillman many people (mostly sports fans) know a little more about people making this decision to fight for their country and have a story to relate to when they hear other 'no-names' in the news on the war. So no we shouldn't think more of Pat Tillman than any other soldier because he may have sacrificed a more luxurious life. But because of a public figure like Pat Tillman, who some of us can feel like we know or know the story of, we can appreciate more all other soldiers putting their life on the line in Iraq, Afghanistan or elsewhere.
Thank You for understanding what this Post was about. As I stated in my opening sentence this was not not ment to lesson the thoughts or sacrifices of those before him who's lives were taken. Was not stating he gave up anymore or less then others called to service to protect the rights and safety for others. My point was that he gave up a life of luxury and fame all on his own. It was a choice he made without thinking twice. This is the reason I for one feel this hits so close to home, it is someone who I know, someone I can personally place a face to, and last but not least someone I have had the chance to meet and see him for who he really was...

It's an amazing story, and he was truly a patriotic American. It's a shame... but I can tell you this guy probably wouldn't even want us mourning his life, and all that "he gave up"... because none of his riches, or his fame matter... because he gave up the ultimate sacrifice... his life. So are hundreds of other men and women serving our country.

They're brave people, and I have the utmost respect for them.

Back