Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Future of the Pokémon Animé

Water Pokemon Master

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
This was posted at SPP. It was between a member who sent an email to 4Kids on a few questions.

If you have the time, I'm just wondering if you could answer a few queestions for me about the Pokemon animation.

1. Will the special about Raikou, known as "Raikou and the Legend of Thunder!" or something along those lines, be put on DVD or VHS?

THERE ARE NO PLANS AT THIS TIME FOR THIS TO BE RELEASED.

2. Will Pikachu's Winter Vacation 2001, the 3rd Winter special, be released?

NO, AS OF NOW THERE ARE NO PLANS TO RELEASE THIS ON HOME VIDEO.

3. Will the ice cave episode with the Nurse Joy who owns a Jynx be aired? Was it dubbed? If not, to either of these questions, why won't it be aired or dubbed?

NO, THIS EPISODE WILL NEVER AIR. THE CHARACTER OF JYNX HAPPENS TO BE A CONTROVERSIAL POKEMON HERE IN AMERICA THAT SOME FIND OFFENSIVE.

4. This is probably the MOST important question of all. In Japan, for the last year, there have been "Hoso specials" which air along the main series of Pokemon. These specials show what is going on at the time, outside of Ash and his group. These specials have included how Misty ran a gym for a whole season, Butch and Cassidy attacking Prof. Oak's ranch, and a character named Sakura whom had appeared two times previously on the animation, and her quest in gaining all of the Kanto gym badges.

Will these be aired? Released on DVD? Were they dubbed at all?

I AM AWARE OF THESE SPECIALS. SO FAR, THEY HAVE NOT BEEN DUBBED BUT THERE IS A POSSIBILITY DOWN THE ROAD THAT WE MAY DUB THEM AND EITHER AIR THEM AS SPECIALS OR PUT THEM OUT ON HOME VIDEO.

5. Will the Dratini episode in season 1, the episode where Ash catches his Tauros- ever be aired? I was told that it was dubbed. Will it be released on DVD?

MOST LIKELY, THIS WILL NOT AIR. THIS EPISODE HAD SOME OBJECTIONABLE SCENES IN IT THAT THE NETWORK WOULD NOT AIR.

6. The infamous Porygon ep. ANY chance of a direct to dvd release, at all?

NO, THIS WILL NEVER AIR AND WILL NEVER BE RELEASED.

7. Will the 6th movie be dubbed and brought to theaters?

WE ARE CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF ADAPTING THIS MOVIE. IT WILL NOT BE RELEASED IN THEATERS, BUT WILL COME OUT ON VHS, DVD AND ALSO ON THE WHOLE NEW 'GAMECUBE FORMAT.' I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!

8. There are rumors going around on the internet that May's little brother, named Masato in the japanese version, has the name "Max" in the dub. Is this true or false? If false, is it possible for you to reveal just WHAT his name really is?

THAT RUMOR IS TRUE. MASATO'S NAME IS INDEED 'MAX.'

9. Do You believe that Pokemon's popularity in the United States, will stay strong long enough for the entire series to be dubbed, or do you think it'll be over by next year or two? How many episodes have been purchased for next year, anyway? Is it likely to happen, if they have not been purchased already?

AS LONG AS THE JAPANESE CONTINUE TO MAKE MORE EPISODES, WE WILL CONTINUE ADAPTING THEM AND PRODUCING THEM.

10. Last question, I promise ^_-, why did 4kids stop making the ending theme songs? Most fans find the cut to the intro after a 10-50 second scene to be annoying, and find it even more annoying when there is about 10 seconds of the episode left, but a commercial segment is brought in.

WE HAD TO CONFORM THE EPISODES TO THE KIDS' WB NETWORK FORMAT STANDARDS. YOU'LL NOTICE THAT EVERY SHOW ON THEIR NETWORK HAS THE SAME FORMAT. THE ENDING THEME SONG WAS A FULL MINUTE LONG WHICH CUT INTO THE TIME THAT THE NETWORK WANTED TO USE AS PROMOTION.

Thank you for your time sir/mam (sorry, I don't know your gender). I know how busy you must be and I appreciate your time and commitment to the fans of the Pokemon animation.

YOU'RE VERY WELCOME! THANK YOU FOR REMAINING A LOYAL FAN OF POKEMON! I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE NEW "ADVANCED" SEASON
WHAT!? NO 6TH MOVIE IN THEATRES! BLAST THEM! Also, what is this "Gamecube format?" I wonder if it has to do with the GBA eps.

EDIT: In case you guys are wondering, I traced this interview from SPP. It was then put on BulbaGarden forums, and then posted on PokeMasters, which was where I found it.

Last edited:
Interesting. I am not surprised about the 6th movie. I do have the "Porygon Episode". It is actually one of my favourites.

Take Care,

Skywolf1

Water Pokemon Master said:
Also, what is this "Gamecube format?" I wonder if it has to do with the GBA eps.

My guess: They put the movie on a Gamecube disc so you can play the movie on your Gamecube. It makes sense.

It is possible the Gamecube will have a new format for movies. They are probably trying to be like the PS2 with the whole DVD thing.

Skywolf, does anything happen to you when you watch the flashing light thing that gave seizures, such as a headache? Also, did you download it or something?

Actually I have a VHS tape of the episode, in about G7 condition, and following the episode is a
special on the episode and the "adverse" affects it had on viewers.

As for the effects it had on me. None at all.

As for the overall health of the Brand, I think it is for the most part still healthy. Many in
mainstream media feel that Pokemon is dead. Well, truthfully Pokemon has completed the transitional
phase from FAD to BRAND.

Still after 6 years, (going on 8 in Japan) consider these facts:

Pokemon is still ranked in the top 3 programs in key demographics for Kids Television.
Pokemon games consistantly zoom right to the top spots on Nintendo's charts with each new
release.
The Pokemon Center in NYC consistantly SELLS OUT of Pokemon merchandise within weeks,
(sometimes DAYS) of its introduction.
The recent Pokemon Rocks America event, hosted to much better than expected crowds in both
St. Louis, Houston and this weekend, San Diego.
The inital set of the Pokemon TCG as released by Nintendo, went into 3 PRINTINGS!

These are just SOME facts. Not a sign that Pokemon is dying no. A sign that the Brand is
"Maturing". Pokemon is a staple in American and Japanese culture now. It is as popular as it was?
NO. Truthfully, I hope those days never return either. The fad days, did MUCH more harm to the
Brand, than anything else.

As far as the films being released only on VIDEO. GREAT! No more critics trying to "VILLIFY"
the films as mere cannon "fodder". Maybe now, these films will start getting the respect and attention
they so rightly deserve!

Pokemon has shown its "staying power" much like "Dragonball" "Star-Trek" and "Star-Wars".
These franchises, all had periods were many thought that they were going to slowly sink into the
"shadows of exiction" however, they are still around, and now, stronger than ever. Pokemon has
ingrained itself into a generation. For a FAD to survive, past this intial stage, it still has to maintain
two very important principles, 1. Remain "fresh and new", and 2. Attract a new generation. I feel
that Pokemon has done this. Moreover, the brand now is starting to attract a segment that once
was thought couldn't happen. Academia! These are adults, who have either written papers and/or
done case studies on the Brand, and its cycles.

I highly doubt "Digimon" or any of the other fads that have come and gone!

My ten cents,

Skywolf1

Limited release never really worked anyway. This "Gamecube format" is interesting, though, I can't imagine how exactly they'll fit the whole movie on a disc (maybe 2?) I'd rather have the DVD anyway.

I dont think a GC format will hold over well. I mean how many people would want a movie that only plays on 1 perticular system. I mean it will be available on DVD and VHS, and unlees you jsut dont own a DVD Player, and would prefer whatever extras the GC format might have, I dont see anything selling well in this new format.

As far as the specials go, I hope (especially on the newer ones that follow Misty and friends) we do see them, even if it is straight to VHS/DVD. So long as they include multiple episodes. 20 bucks per episode just doesnt sound worth it.... Does anybody know for sure, are these episodes the normal 30 minutes long or are they 1 hour???

6th movie striaght to DVD/VHS. Well, I will miss going to see it in the theaters, nothing beats the big screen, but considering the last couple of movies and how they did (of course in limited release uggg....) I am not suprised. At least we will get it!!!!

1. Will the special about Raikou, known as "Raikou and the Legend of Thunder!" or something along those lines, be put on DVD or VHS?

Da-a-a-a-a-rn. (Heh, almost said another word). I wanted to see it in english. Blah.

Also, Jynx is apparantly "controversial", yet they've already released an episode with Jynx in it. I wonder what gives.

There was some African-American girl somewhere that wrote an essay on why Jynx was offensive to black people, and send it to 4Kids and the newspapers. This, in turn, caused 4Kids not to release the episode.

Wtf is wrong with 4kids? Jynx, in no frekin way, looks like an African-American. Jynx looks more like someone who has a messed up mask on who used way too much make-up. Why this happened? Can anyone say "15 minutes of fame?"

For the normal English language, that means no.

5. Will the Dratini episode in season 1, the episode where Ash catches his Tauros- ever be aired? I was told that it was dubbed. Will it be released on DVD?

MOST LIKELY, THIS WILL NOT AIR. THIS EPISODE HAD SOME OBJECTIONABLE SCENES IN IT THAT THE NETWORK WOULD NOT AIR.

Is this the one with James in a speedo or the gunshot?

As for the Gamecube format, I think they will jsut use the normal GCN disks. I've unlocked a few videos in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, and they look pretty decent for a GCN disk.

I don't mean to complain, but I have a lot of things against "Americanized" Animes, especially with the dubbing. These companies dubb stuff so much, that they decide to take out scenes from the show. If this is the case, I say we should get special DVDs (17 and older for some maybe?) that have deleted and controversial scenes and shows. IMO, I say "play the shows, or don't play the entire series."

The Dratini episode is the one where the warden is shooting Team Rocket. The place where the Tentacool and Tentacruel thing happens is where James blows up his breasts, which is definately inappropriate for American TV. They showed it in America but edited the scene, and called it a "lost episode."

Water Pokemon Master said:
There was some African-American girl somewhere that wrote an essay on why Jynx was offensive to black people, and send it to 4Kids and the newspapers. This, in turn, caused 4Kids not to release the episode.
What. The. Heck? Anybody with an ounce of common sense would realise that, even looking at Jynx, Jynx in no way resembles African-Americans. Period.

Right now, I think I'll go write an essay on how K from Gravitation is offensive to Americans. (For those who don't know: K is American and gun-crazy). I'd actually have more of a point than that girl who found Jynx offensive (but still no point in reality). You know the crazy part? If someone had stood up to said girl, they'd probably have been branded "in favour of promoting racial stereotypes." Sickening.

Well, many people are sensitive to things and everyone knows at least one person who is always trying to make something out of nothing. It all really is stupid, IMO.

Its time for another "If Memory Serves..." Moment!

In case you are wondering why 4kids does dub the Pokemon series (along with other series), I have learned that 4kids have actually considered to make these series in the "true" anime cartoons. Which means very little alteration to the pure translation is made so that the episode is viewed the same ways the japanese does. However 4kids has decided it was best to make the story fit the "Western Style of Storytelling" which more is like answering the 5 Ws (Why, When, Where, What, Who) instead of the Eastern Style which is most like "it just happens." Hope you got that. (Hope I got that right.)

End of "If Memory Serves..." Episode 54,067 :p

Now for a "If I theroize correctly..." Moment!

The Gamecube disks sound like a better idea from the originally planned video cartridges for the GBA. When I first heard of the idea of Videos for the GBA I just didn't think it would even be possible (based off of a technological basis). Maybe I am right and 4Kids and Nintendo couldn't put it together. I could understand if Cubedisks came out with episodes for Pokemon. I think that would be better and fun.

End of "If I theroize correctly..." Episode 6,983 :p

If that is not enough, then it is now time for a "Dang it why does this have to happen?" Moment!

It is a major bummer that there is most likely to be no more Pokemon movies for the big screen anymore, but that is just the way it happens. However this worries me. That is now one more pillar, that holds the remants of our great era, collapsed.

End of "Dang it why does this have to happen?" Episode 134,857,984 ;)

Last edited:
I understand you mysterioustrainer.

If you guys are having trouble understanding what he is saying, listen to the 3rd movie commentary. They talk a lot about adapting the movies and the western and eastern styles.

Back