Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The Lost Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeches

Well, I have been thinking a lot about a Fallen Adversary that many hated before the birth of DP and decided to try a rebuild The Lost Dragon.

POKEMON 18

4 Trapinch
2 Vibrava
2 Flygon d
3 Flygon Ex d

2 Spearow
2 Fearow d

1 Shellder
1 Cloyster

1 Castform

TRAINERS 27

4 Prof. Oak’s Visit
2 TV Reporter
1 Steven’s Advice
1 Copycat

2 Holon Mentor
3 Bebe’s
2 Roseanne’s
1 Scott

4 Rare Candy
3 Windstorm
2 Lake Boundary
1 TSD
1 Night Maintenance

ENERGY 15

4 Delta Rainbow
2 Metal Special
9Psychic

Flygon Ex d struck fear into many opponent’s last season and it has been all but forgotten by many and the once MIGHTY PURPLE MENACE has become nothing more than Binder fodder for many. A card that gets a glance every once in awhile and a reminisce of days long ago of the Majesty of this card. I feel, for some reason, with GaG running things and making people try to tech against it or play it, this deck could once again PROVE it place in our DECK BOXES.

This is a straight forward, meat and potatoes list. Try to get the Trapinch start (Still deciding the best one to use. I am considering multiple, PGF, since the weaknesses vary in the Meta) and the Fast FLEX to start spreading early damage on those Basics. The first FLEX, at least when I played it, was always a Sacrifice. It allowed the Bench to setup and swarm when needed! 4 Candy is a must for the consistent T1-2 FLEX!

Fearow is well, Fearow. A decent attacker against Water decks that can bring things to within KO range of FLEX and a decent Sac if needed. Once it serves its purpose, it can go away!

Cloyster was always a tech in FLEX for me and a few other FTW players. Provides complete protection for Delta Pokes on the Bench. Nothing gets through!! Cloyster can also be a great hitter if needed. Its ability to have increasing damage is fantastic and takes care of some of the Fighting Weak Pokes out there.

The Draw Engine is what got tweaked out here. With no Holon engine, which I agree created the SPEED of FLEX, I feel this style engine can bring some of that speed back. BEBE is the right choice here as it is Easy enough to trade 1 Delta for a FLEX then Delta Call it back out with Fearow. Mentor is just Mentor and Roseanne allows for grabbing that energy. Now I went back and forth on the 1 Castform idea as it can prove useful, esp with Roseanne and I can start with it and benefit so I might remove a Special Metal to add the solo Castform!

3 Windstorm is a must, CC and BF are still played in force in my meta, os they stay and also my Equalizer… Lake Boundary. If I get double, you get double. This allows FLEX the OHKO on GaG. I realize FLEX already OHKO Garde, but Garde is supplemental to Gallade, which is the strength. To OHKO this allows me the ability to gain control more readily. Cloyster does not allow the switch so FLEX will get its shots on Gallade.

There you go.. The Lost Dragon!

Happy Holidays and Many Blessings to OUR TROOPS and their FAMILIES!!

~Prof. Fish~

Last edited:
What do you think of this instead:

TRAINERS 27

4 Prof. Birch
1 TV Reporter
1 Copycat

3 Great Ball
3 Master Ball
4 PokeNav
3 Poke Dex

4 Rare Candy
3 Windstorm
2 Lake Boundary
1 TSD
1 Night Maintenance

and 1-1 Fearow d

Gives me the search ability still and with the Fearow down to a 1-1. I can still set it up after I have gone through the Balls and have the search ability for mid-late game. I toyed with this idea, but didn't really put it to paper yet!

~Prof. Fish~

My son has done very well in the Jr. division with a similar deck this season (26-3 with 3 BR wins and 2 Cities wins). His is still more R-gon though with 3 Flygon δ and 2 Flygon δ EX, Fearow, Castforms, a Mew δ * and a Ray δ ex. The Mew δ * has won many a game. I would suggest putting a Mew * or Ray ex in for emergencies.

He also plays Mentor, Roseanne's, and Bebe's. And as you mentioned the Roseanne has been great for grabbing energy and/or a Castform to be an energy. Grab an energy and Castform, attach the energy with Delta Supply, then attach the Castform as your normal attachment for the turn.

Grab an energy and Castform, attach the energy with Delta Supply, then attach the Castform as your normal attachment for the turn.

Yeah Castform was real bad when Mario was everywhere but there has been a lack of Mario and Castform is once again making a comeback. Castform - Delta Draw is awesome vs. Absol decks. Just Delta draw with 5 Delta Pokemon on your bench for a couple of turns and you are good to go setupwise. The only bad thing about Flygon-ex d is the EX part. Gallade is taking 2 prizes when it ohko's you and you are only taking 1.

Just so everyone understands, If you read the entire articel, I ma not running all delta Trapinch. 1-2 at most. So the only basics that are delta are 2 trapinch and 1 Shellder which will only get played if I see sniping possibilities.

1 Castform wsa also in the article to put to grab with Rosie!

Thanks everyone.. off to fix the list a bit!!

You could try dropping the Mentors, maxing out Roseanne's and running a mix of fighting, multi and psychic energy in here. Then you can take advantage of the T2 spread with Vibrava SW, and T3 80+spread with Flex. You could also run a tech Flygon SW for Vire, Ampharos, and Blissey matchups.

The Flygon evo line is really about options though. You can run an unusually thick line since Flygon and Flex are different cards. Maybe try 3 Trapinch SW, 1 Trapinch d (the sniping psychic one) 2 Vibrava SW, 1 Vibrava d (sonic noise) 2 Flygon SW, 2 Flygon d, and 2 Flex? Then run 2-3 night maintenance and just recycle the pre-evos as they die. You get two of the strongest types in the game right now, without their conventional weaknesses, plus an energy accelerator for any techs that might be useful in your metagame (Mew*, Ray EX, etc.) Fearow probably won't work as a searcher if you concentrate on the SW evo line though. Try Meganium d.

By making all those changes, you just changed the entirity of the stripped down deck. Going SW eliminates the speedier setup for Fearow, and whereas Vibrava SW does spread that inital damage, the idea is hte Speed FLEX.

Meganium d is another S2 and running 2 S2 are just a bad idea in the current format (see Monarchy)

I appreciate it....

Keep the ideas coming!

My first thought when reading the startegy was why not use SSU. It might save your first Flygon Ex from costing you 2 prizes, and it can heal all those counters that Gallade will toss on you with Sonic Blade before you take it down.

I still have a really crazy (3 stage 2 lines!) Flygon Ex deck built and recently I've found the Castform start to not be quite so bad in testing. Sure, Lucario and Bannett eat it up quick, and Sableye disrupts it just like it does everything else, but Absol has a hard time against it filling your hand up faster than it can reduce it. Castform is also a great way to add energy drops and make any tech choices so much easier to power up.

Evenin', cap'n.

-as good as Bebe's is for fetching Flygon pokes, I would feel nervous running it in a format (and a local metagame) laden with Absol SW.

-I think that Cloyster is better than ever, what with the two most popular archetypes nationally (Galladevoir/Magmortar) being hindered by it. If it were a better attacker, I would go 2-2 on it!

Overall:

I think for flex, a mix between the fish engine of list #2,and the supporter-heavy engine of #1, would be best; not just one or the other. I'd prefer a few master balls or something to go with list #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back