Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The New Set And Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakespeare

Now that the new EX Magna Aqua set is nearing release I thought I'd get a jump on things.
What is Nintendo doing to prevent what has happened with the last 2 sets of cards? The local card shop by me really had a disadvantage when Target was selling booster packs days before the "offical" release date.

I, for one, hope that the release date is the same for all. I understand that shipping has a lot to do with some of the errors that have happened in the past. It just is not possible to get the product to ALL the stores on the same day. What can be done? I don't have the answers so we'll do "group therapy"!

I know Target did it with Sandstorm, but with Dragon all the Targets in the area got it on the day of release when I was checking. Was this different for your area? Did you see Dragon in Target before the release date?

This time at the pre-releases, TOs are forbidden from selling boosters, which is different from the past. It seems to me that Nintendo is doing its best to prevent early sales. But, for those who go to the pre-releases and get the cards early, I'd say they could use them in tournament-play BEFORE the official release date, if there even IS an official release date.

SteveP said:
But, for those who go to the pre-releases and get the cards early, I'd say they could use them in tournament-play BEFORE the official release date, if there even IS an official release date.

I'm not too sure about that. I asked the following question in an e-mail to Steve McLaughlin -

"My question would be are Team M/A cards legal on sanctioned constructed tournaments as soon as the prerelease happens?"

Here is Steve's answer -

"The floor rules say that the new cards will be legal when the set is released for retail sale. So, not at the prerelease, but on the 15th."

BDS

Thanks BDS.

I think the Floor Rules need to be clarified to say "Official Release Date" instead of "after their release in the US." The later phrase is blurry, especially when considering the way WOTC ruled on this (cards can be played once you have them in your hands).

SteveP said:
This time at the pre-releases, TOs are forbidden from selling boosters, which is different from the past.
WitW? So what's a TO supposed to do? Sit on any extra boosters until the 15th?

Looking forward to picking some up at the prerelease......

Hope the don't have another RH TV Reporter incident.

My local Target sold EX Dragon early.

I plan on checking there again around the last week of Feburary for the new set...

BJJ763 said:
WitW? So what's a TO supposed to do? Sit on any extra boosters until the 15th?

Looking forward to picking some up at the prerelease.......

It was stated that the TOs are not allowed to sell product anymore at the Prerelease, but they can sell it after the release date of the set. For this Prerelease also PUI is limiting the number of boxes that can be ordered according to their highest past attendence, that way the TOs will not over order boxes for the event like some have in the past. Still some TOs will have to sit on there boxes, or do what I do and open their extras up. :thumb:

For this Prerelease also PUI is limiting the number of boxes that can be ordered according to their highest past attendence, that way the TOs will not over order boxes for the event like some have in the past.

So there could be a problem with not enough boosters if the area has been steadily growing (or a large number of people just decide to show up).

Still some TOs will have to sit on there boxes,

That really doesn't sound like it'll go over too good with TO's - people attend these events who don't normally go to the store. Sitting on the boxes now means less sales for the store owner.

or do what I do and open their extras up.

Wow that's nice! TOs can get cards that the general public cannot.....

BJJ763 said:

Since we can't play in tournaments anyway, why does it matter? You have any idea how much time we put into these events? We have to have some reward. Plus with the new system we have to order under I will be suprised if anyone has more then 1 or 2 extra boxes left anyway.

BJJ763 said:
That really doesn't sound like it'll go over too good with TO's - people attend these events who don't normally go to the store. Sitting on the boxes now means less sales for the store owner.

PTO's Pay for the boxes, not the stores, heck mine are not even held in stores. So it won't effect them anyway. If nothing else they will spend more money in the store since they can't buy boosters from us.

Last edited:
BJJ763 said:

I guess in this instance it's more like, "PREMIER tournament organizers can get enough cards to finish their sets before the general public." Guess it makes sense that they would have their perks. Sure wish I was a premier organizer instead of a normal one.

BJJ763 said:
So there could be a problem with not enough boosters if the area has been steadily growing (or a large number of people just decide to show up).

If the TO thinks more is needed, Im sure he could work out something with PUI. But after two or three tournaments PUI has a idea of what the area has been doing.

BJJ763 said:

The general public can get them at the tournament if they play, and can win more. The TO can sit on them or open them up. Since I get boxes anyways when a new set comes out, it is just another way for me to do so, since I have to pay for them anyways. The 8 booster packs that players get at the tournament to make a deck, all of that stuff is paid for by the TO, not PUI or any store. Since the TO paid for it they can do what they want after the release date. For me I am going to open some of the extra boxes so I can use them for my decks, since I play too.

I would like to add my two cents to this discussion...

I emailed PUI a while back about the rule that "PTOs cannot sell product at the Prerelease"...

I also recalled that PUI said that Players can get prerelease cards by entering an event or winning a prize.

So as a PTO and knowing that my local players will want to get some prerelease cards in addition to the 6 packs they get for registering, I will hold "events" in which players can get the extra product they want...

I would suggest PTOs and TOs "be imaginative" in their side events, but get PUI approval on any side events to assue they comply with the rules....

The events can be booster drafts, constructed, limited, sealed, other??, etc. Mix in some of the pre release cards into some of these types of events and award prizes for players that compete in them...

Well that's my two cents......

Pokeplayer

Pokeplayer,

That's a good idea to have side events at your tournament so players can get more of the newer cards.

You have any idea how much time we put into these events? We have to have some reward.

PTO's are compensated (though some more than others), right?

PTO's Pay for the boxes, not the stores

But most PTO's own stores. And they look at these events as a way of making a little more money than they normally would. I know people will be disappointed when they cannot buy any unused boxes.

Since the TO paid for it they can do what they want after the release date.

Yes they can but we're talking about after the Prerelease and before the release date. Two options: sit on it or sell it. From the looks of things, holding will prevail since there "should" not be much left over. Might not be enough left over to hold another event (which we've always done).

For me I am going to open some of the extra boxes so I can use them for my decks, since I play too.

Just wait to use them in any sanctioned event until after the release date ;)

Don't really mind, but i was hoping to pick up some just to help support the store. And possibly donate one to the Scout Spaghetti Supper being held that night (sorry not going to donate my judge's compensation).

I guess it's time to add my store support rant.

If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby where you play Pokemon then you owe it to that store to buy your Pokemon cards there. You may can save a few bucks and you may can get your cards early by buying them from Target, online, etc. But you are doing your local store a great disservice by doing so. If you don't support your local store by buying your cards where you play then one day soon you will find that you no longer have a place to play the game.

BJJ763 said:
PTO's are compensated (though some more than others), right?

The compensation is set up that all PTOs have the same ability to get the same stuff. We are also sent the same prize and judge support amount

BJJ763 said:
But most PTO's own stores. And they look at these events as a way of making a little more money than they normally would. I know people will be disappointed when they cannot buy any unused boxes.

Some do, yes, but I would not say most of them. I do not own a store, and a know a lot of others PTOs dont also.

BJJ763 said:
Just wait to use them in any sanctioned event until after the release date ;)

Dont worry I plan on not using any of them in a sanctioned tournament till after all the CCs are over, just to be fair to everyone else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back