Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The View From the Top: My Pokémon TCG Story

Squirtle

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
[gal=48676]Pokemon TCG World Champion[/gal]​
After reading Jimmy Ballard’s post and doing a little reflecting of my own I came to this conclusion; every Pokémon player has a story to tell. No matter how big or small the story, whether the player is a top tier player or a lowly scrub, they have a story.

I have made many friends in this game, spent hours on end bonding with my dad, traveled to ends of the country, and even met my current girlfriend of over a year playing this game.

This is my story, the view from the top:

The WoTC Era:
The setting is 1999 and the game has been out for a little while. I meet some kids at school who have these neat cards. We begin to talk, and the kid shows me one of his strongest cards. It’s a base set Onix. I ask him why it is strong, he says because it has 90 hit points. I ask him what the #10 meant on the card and he didn’t know. Well, a few days later I’m at the mall with my aunt and I ask her if we can buy a pack of cards at Barnes & Noble (that’s where we bought cards back in the day!). I remember opening it and getting to the back of the cards. I saw a white card named Chansey. I noticed he had 120 hit points, so I immediately got excited thinking I had one of the strongest cards available. I spent the next few months collecting these cards, not knowing a thing about the game itself. Once my dad noticed how into this I was, he bought 2 theme decks determined to learn the rules of the game.
We started going to leagues at Toys R Us and Books a Million on Saturdays. Now when we first started playing, like everyone else we had 30 Pokémon in our decks, with few trainers. We ran into a kid who was down in Florida on vacation. I played him for a few games and couldn’t beat him. I told my dad to go play him. They played for a few games and my dad couldn’t beat him either. On the ride home, we talked about how good he was. My dad said something that really surprised me at the time. He said, “He’s not that great, we’re just really bad Stevie. But I took a lot from playing him. Those trainer cards are really good.” That is really when things changed. We learned all about speed cards like Hitmonchan and good trainers like Oak and Computer Search.

After spending sixish months at league, we got competitive. We met a very nice man named Bob Paxton. He would become our playing partner and overall good friend. We traveled to Atlanta for a Super Trainer Showdown STS) Qualifying Tournament, which I got 2nd in. It wasn’t good enough to get me a trip, so I was resolved to skipping the 2001 STS. After 9/11 happened , the airfare went down significantly. We ended up finding flights for $64 round trip, so we went. I went 7-1 in swiss(without the 3 round byes). In top 4, I ended up playing someone, who back then I never figured I would still know, Seena G. We had a tight game, with focus band flips, cross attack flips, and baby flips. In the end I won. Top 2, what a good feeling. I played against Eric Brooks. Before the game people were telling me how good he was, so I was a little nervous. I don’t remember the game, but I know that I won.

In 2002 WOTC held the first ever “World Championship” for Pokémon. Unfortunately there were no worlds for the 15+ age group. This was made up for with an event that took place after hours in the convention center. They advertised it was the "Professor Challenge”. I remember Friday at Worlds there was an open trade room. It was there I met the soon-to-be champion, Dylan Austin. He had no idea what he was going to play.He noticed my dad playing a deck he called “The Lock”. It consisted of Dark Feraligatr (To shut off Igglybuff) with Slowking. It was a deck I was going to play, but ditched in favor of Dark Tyranitar. The kid got the list from my dad, and then traded us for the cards to complete it. Worlds this year was interesting as the entire tournament was a best 2/3 format. I went 3-2 day one, and then 5-0 day two to qualify for the top cut. I easily handled the Kingdra deck in top 8. Then came Top 4 and when I sat down, it was none other than Dylan, playing Gatr Lock. He took game 1, but I managed to come back game 2. Game 3 I was in good position to win. I had a Larvitar with 2 Darks on it, I used Professor Elm to get 7 new cards. I knew that if I hit a Pokémon Trader or a Pupitar (4 of each were in deck), the game and the tournament would be mine as Umbreon/Espeon is a relatively easy game. I Elm’d and got the Elm from Hell. Next turn he top decked a Bill’s Teleporter and threw 2 heads. He then hit 2 heads on another Teleporter and that was it. I never drew anything, and proceeded to lose Worlds. I did get an awesome 3rd place trophy, but it was still disappointing looking back.

There weren’t many events in 2003. There were a few Super Battle Zones, I won both of them.

2004 Season:
2004 was a good year. The Pokemon Company (PUI) introduced Organized Play again. I had one of my best years too, it’s just a shame I didn’t get to play the whole year through as a senior. I won 10 Cities (10 boxes of Dragon, but not one reverse foil TV Reporter), States, and 2 Gym Challenges.. I aged up into 15+ the day before US Nationals, what a drag. Went 6-3 and whiffed cut by like 2 spots. At Worlds I don’t remember my record, but I know I was 33rd in Masters with a top 32 cut.

2005 Season:
2005 was also fun. I had a regression, but I was playing with better competition than I was used to as a senior. I won a few Cities, and I won Louisiana States. I made top 8 at Nationals also this year. I really don’t remember much about 2005, other than I went 4-4 at Worlds.

2006 Season:
2006 was another interesting year. Multiple City Championship wins, etc. I won Louisiana States for the second year in a row (Undefeated both years) I also got top 16 at Texas Regionals, and top 8 at Florida Regionals. This was the first year ever I didn’t have a trip going into Nationals. I ended up 7-2 in swiss, and was paired against Ness, two time World Champion. Now, I’ve known Jason since 2002 but I’ve never once played him in a game at this point. All I know is that my friend Moss was telling me how good he was, and how I didn’t stand a chance. I ended up winning vs. Ness, and my top 16 opponent. I secured my trip, and promptly got eliminated in top 8. At Worlds I went 5-2 in Swiss. I beat my T32 opponent 2-0 to Advance to T16. I got beat, but the games were all insanely close.

2007 Season:
2007 was a very rough year for me. I didn’t win many tournaments and to top it off my dad landed in the hospital on thanksgiving. He ended up having surgery to remove a foot of his colon 5 days before States. Against the doctors wishes he went to Orlando and played States. I was very proud of him to hear he made top 8. Neither of us won a State this year, but in our defense we were a little pre-occupied. Come Regionals, I was lost. I could use Speed Spread(also known as Absolutions), but I didn’t really care for the deck. About 12 hours before the tournament I had a revelation. I had a good feeling that Jake Burke’s Polistall would be the right play. I convinced my dad to play it, and we headed for regionals. We both went 7-1 in swiss. I played the sickest game 2 vs Flariados that lasted 1 hour and 24 minutes(Only completed games count, and I T2’d her game 1!) Well, my revelation was right on the money. Top 4 was 2 Silvestro’s with Polistall, Eric C and Omar. This was as close as I’ve ever come to winning a Regional. I took game 1 handily vs Eric in top 2. Game 2, I had the game in my hands. I used Copycat for 13 cards, I need 1 water energy to OHKO his Mew EX and win regionals. I whiff on all 7 Water left in the deck. He scoops his Mew EX and proceeds to make an amazing comeback. I get turn-2'd game 3.

US Nationals, 2007
Then came Nationals. This is getting a separate paragraph from 2007, because it was truly that special for me. Knowing it’s getting rotated, I can’t justify not playing MY DECK, Flariados, at Nationals. I knew Infernape was a jerk against it, but I quickly figured out that a tech Jolteon EX saved that matchup. I started off 5-0, and ended up missing the cut at 6-3. My dad made cut at 7-2. The next day I could tell he was down on his matchup vs Jimmy Ballard as Jimmy beat him in swiss. However, I watched him misplay against him to lose the game. I woke up about 10 minutes after my dad left. I threw on my jeans and sprinted down there hoping to cut him off before he got to play Jimmy. I managed to catch him right before he entered the TCG hall. I told him, “I don’t care how good this guy is, you’re just as good. I looked at the brackets, and if you win this you’re gonna have Bannette in t16, and Bannette in T8.” For anyone that didn’t play back then, Umbreon>Bannette. Sure enough, I watched my dad beat Jimmy, Adam Capriola, and Chuck. Worlds 2007 was fun, Hawaii was a blast.

2008 Season:
I was determined to make Worlds in 2008. I started out strong, winning the first BR I played. Come Cities, I just beasted. I went 45-4, to enter States with an 1851 rating. I got 3rd at States, ant top 8 at another. I gained 5 points. I went into regionals working with Jimmy Ballard on Arithmetic. I knew it was a good play. Going into Regionals, Jimmy promised me he hadn’t told anyone. I found it to be wrong. I pretty much coasted to T4. The other side is pure Gardevoir. I know that if I win this I’m finally going to win a Regional. I sit down to play Erik Nance. He’s playing Arithmetic too. Ugh! I had a pit in my stomach, I knew I wasn’t going to win. Erik Turn-2'd me game 1, and game 2 he won in 3 turns. I was crushed. Over my past 3 Regionals, I have a 2nd, a 3rd and a 4th. Come Nationals I was in a great spot at 1856 to have my invite. A decent showing and I’m golden. I get paired against Chad Harris round 1. His deck works great, and mine not so much. I figured that 0-1 isn’t that big of a deal. Over the next two rounds I start with Unown Q twice and just never recover. At this point looking back, I have never been more disappointed in myself. Not because I was 0-3, but because I did something I promised myself I’d never do. In a spur of the moment tilt, I dropped from US Nationals.

A few weeks before the Grinder (Last Chance Qualifier), Mr. Roll was at my house and he showed me a deck he called "Psychic Song". It consisted of Cresselia LvX, Clefable, Bronzong, and Claydol (Psychic type). I liked the concept, but I knew it wouldn't be able to beat Empoleon. The more I played the deck, the more I loved it. However I knew the inability to beat Empoleon would kill me. About a week before the event I had all but reconciled to the fact I would be playing Empoleon. I just couldn't get past how much fun I had playing Psychic Song. It was Saturday, at the LA Pre-release, I walked up to Mr. Roll and asked him what he thought about losing the Clefable for a Raichu line. He didn't like the idea, I however loved it.

The next day I spent looking over the deck, I eventually took out the clefable for Raichu(MD). After a few hands, it was clunky. The Psychic Song project was officially dead.

It was Monday afternoon. I'm on my way to the airport to pick up BLiZz and I still can't get Psychic Song out of my head. I had a few more ideas. We get back to my house and I rework the list. this time without Cresselia and with more consistency cards. I shuffle up and Ken chooses to give me a hard game right off the bat. Eevee/Magmortar. I knew this would be difficult, but to my suprise I won quite handily. We played for a few hours, and I only lost 1 time. I was shocked. I immediately called Aaron; after all he had been in on the Psychic Song project since day one. He insisted on keeping the Cresselia.

I arrive at Worlds on Thursday night around 10pm. I get Michelle (my girlfriend) and her brother all set up to sleep in my room, and go find Aaron and Wesley (Spurlock) to do some last minute playtesting. I didn't have my deckbox handy so I just used Aarons. I played Empoleon for a game, but I generally don't enjoy playing the deck. I take Aarons Psychic Song deck from his box and change it to look like mine. I played 7 games against GG and Empoleon... I won all 7. I was decided. I have to play the deck. Even if I didn't do well, I loved playing it.

This is the part in the report where I give Aaron and Wesley MAJOR Credit. We hunted down the cards to make a 3rd one, Wesley built it and wrote out the list. He played it like a PRO without playing a single game with it. And to you Aaron, you just had the guts to play a rogue deck. It was both of your believing in the deck is why I ran it, thank you both so much.

Pokemon 19:
4 Baltoy
2 Claydol GE
2 Claydol HP
3 Bronzor
3 Bronzong
2 Raichu
2 Pikachu
1 Chatot

Energy16 :
5 Psychic
4 Call
4 Double Rainbow
3 Scramble

Trainers 25:
3 Roseanne
4 Celio
1 Bebe
2 Night maitenance
4 Stevens
3 Copycat
3 Warp Point
3 Energy Switch
2 Moonlight Stadium

The decks only BAD match is Bannette , Garchomp or anything with Scizor is hard.

So Aaron and I were up till 4:30 building another copy of the deck and testing. We get to sleep, and my alarm goes off at 5:15... ugh. I shower and he heads to his room to do the same. We meet up at the elevator, to get in line at 6am... only to have 50 ppl in front of us. It turns out we could have been late because they let everyone in.

Round 1 vs JPN player with GG:

I get a pretty decent set. Baltoy with a Call and a Celio in my hand, I draw and topdeck GE claydol. I attach and call (I went first). Next turn I evolve to Claydol on my bench, Celio for HP 'Dol. I use Wide Laser, I remember her Muk catching me off guard once but I recovered. I used Wide Laser like 4 times vs her Chatot. She finally came up with a Gardy and Locked me. I used my Scramble on 'zong to KO her Gardy. It was funny because I had so much damage spread, she couldn't believe I was behind.

1-0

Round 2 vs US player with GG:

He doesn't get much of a set and I am able to use wide laser for 5 turns, when he finally does get something I bronzong DRE it for the KO.

2-0

Round 3 vs US player with GG (Ajai on lafonte)

This was a tight game here, he seemed to know what he was doing vs my deck even thought he said he had never played vs anything like it. My set wasn't bad, but he t1 wagered me which hurt. This game took like 25 minutes. One of the key moves was me doing 90 to his gallade with bronzong, and he KOd me flipping his last prizes. I brought up my Psychic 'dol and KO'd him while spreading more. He did something, and KO'd my 'dol. I bring up 'zong and play my 3rd Energy Switch , drop a DRE and KO his gardy, taking complete board control.

3-0

Round 4 vs JPN player with GG/Absol SW

My opening hand is, Baltoy, Baltoy, Call, Celio, Celio, Stevens, Claydol GE. He opens with Ralts and I go first. I know I'm safe as he can't Absol me T1. I drop both baltoys and call for 2 bronzor. to my amazement he plays a Roseanne and gets Absol/Unown Q. He attaches Q to his ralts and drops absol. he ended up ripping celio and stevens. I use my claydol and hit a warp to put some damage on the absol with wide laser. Next turn I drop moonlight and blast it with raichu and proceed to use DRE on bronzong the entire game to KO gardys and damage gallade.

4-0

At this point, I'm so DEAD tired. But at the same time, im having one of the best times ive ever had playing this game. Im loving the deck I'm playing.

Roung 5 vs US player with Begfriend(BanBliss)

I get a trash hand vs my hardest matchup. Grreaat. She goes first and ascends, the key part of this game is that I DON'T get to use my psychic Claydol. she drops Cess t2, and since I dont run storms it's hard. she always had a big hand so my cats were nice. I'm manually building Zongs, which 2 shot blissey with alloy so it's nice. she finally runs out of cess, she has 1 prize left, I have 2. She's got a blissey with 120 on the bench, it gets KOd in between turns. she has bannette active with 50 on it. I have zong active. I fill my bench, evolve my 2nd Cosmic power claydol. She has had me beach locked the entire game. I can't find a counter gym. Ive got 8 cards in my deck, 7 in my hand. I put scramble on my active zong. Claydol for 2, whiff. Claydol for 2 again, whiff. Still 8 in my deck,but only 4 i havent seen. with 2 counter gyms out there I stevens for 4 knowing i'll get one. whiff,whiff,whiff,whiff. My head drops as I extend my hand saying "good game" I flip my last 2 prizes revealing 2 moonlight stadiums.

4-1

Round 6 vs USA player with GG(Ajay Deloyle)

I'm still tilted over the last game, but I turn tilt into beast mode and just run through his mediocre set. Once he flipped all his prizes with Gallade I just used Warps and Energy Switch to nail prizes on the bench with raichu.

5-1

Round 7 vs JPN player with GG/3-3 Scizor line

Anyways, I get a decent hand. His is better. I get t2 wide laser with a Dol on the bench(GE) and 2 bronzors. I celio and realize that I have 2 zongs prized. He plays both Scythers and evolves one to Scizor. I'm fortunate to have a purple energy on my active. He eventually brings up his garde and uses my celio but his LvX is prized. so he attaches(he had a DRE powered gallade on the bench) and passes. I'm thinking it's fortunate because it gives me more damage to build on the bench Scythers and his active. I do my thing, all the while building the bronzor on the bench. The zong has a scramble, im holding night maitenance and celio for when he kills it. He retreats his gardy and KOs me with gallade. He flips 2 revealing a roseanne, and a THIRD scyther. i'm like. OMG. He then flips a 3rd prize, revealing his LvX. I call a judge because he didn't declare the amount he was flipping. the situation was resolved and he wasn't allowed to flip any. after seeing his 3rd scyther, Im sure there is no way he runs dusknoir with a 3/3 scizor line. I roseanne and grab a pikachu, knowing ill need raichu for his attack. well I was wrong, next turn he candies up a dusknoir and puts my 2 energy bronzor back in the deck and KOs my claydol. This game was a war, I remember he tried to stall me out but we had a 3 minute extension. when time was called I ended my turn and the extension began on his turn. Im literally counting seconds in my head(its hard to do when your trying to pay attention to gamestate). He took a 2 minute and 50 second turn. I have 10 seconds for my turn. Which is key because he had no prizes left to flip. I need cursed alloy to take 3 prizes to tie the game at one. I draw, and have no time to celio out my raichu(which could survive a gallade hit, next turn e-switch and dre with warp for game). I draw, attach and attack to tie it. time is called right as he draws his card. he shows me the warp. He wins 6-5, had I had time to play my celio I would have won.

5-2. I'm crushed. I can't believe I played into a dusknoir, but I can't believe he ran a 3-3 scizor and dusknoir in GG. I know my worlds dream is over, but it sure was a fun ride. I contemplated dropping and going to sleep, but I came to play.

Round 8 vs USA player with GG

I just went beast mode and 6-0d him. Nuts!
The LCQ was the most fun I had all season, I loved my deck. I wish I had it for nationals.

2008 wasn’t a complete waste though, my dad got t16, which was pretty cool.

2009 Season:
Obviously the 2008-2009 season will be one to remember for me. I played under 100 games, and finished with a 73-20 record. Not the best, but solid enough.

Battle Roads started out, and I judged most of them. I was messing around with Turbo Kyogre spread, back when spread was good. I ended up playing Luxray for most of them and sadly, I did not win an autumn battle road.

When cities came around it was more of the same. I judged a few of them.

Then the Georgia "Marathon" came around. For those unfamiliar with it, the GA PTOs run all 7 of their cities in a row, starting on December 26th and running through Jan 2nd. I only played 5 of these events. The first day I ran AMU, and 1-1 dropped after not liking the feel of the deck. After than I really turned it on. I had built a Tyranitar/Weavile deck. I went: 5-0 Drop, 6-0 Drop, 4-0 Drop, and 7-1(2nd place finish). I knew on the ride home that I had most likely just punched my ticket to Worlds, but then remembered I was in the same boat last year(1850 after Cities, and COLLAPSED at nationals.)

I ended up playing 1 more CC in Florida, where I went 7-1 with Ttar and won the event.

Platinum came out, and I immediately took a liking to honchkrow. It's ability to wreck any set up deck made it viable. My dad turned me on to the Houndoom Tech I didn't see,and the deck was off to the races. I went undefeated at Louisiana States, and the next week went 7-2 at FL states.

I felt like I was in a good mind frame to win my first Regional tournament, however that was all scrapped when I found out Michelle's Prom fell on the same day as Regionals. So I did not get to play. I still went and made $400+ selling Japanese deck boxes and sleeves, but I really wanted to play.

BRs came around again. And I was just going to have some fun. I judged two of them, and played in 2. The first one I played in was my good ole home town BR. I looked around the room and knew no one would play SP because GeChamp was everywhere. So I went in my friend Aaron's deck box and just grabbed something at random. It turns out I had his Blaziken deck. I went 4-1 in swiss, and easily made 2nd seed. I ended up winning the event, go figure.

BR#2 was a little different. The night before I had realized how much I enjoyed playing Speedrill (Standard list with Radars and Plus powers), I guess I just like Beedrill as a Pokémon. I tweaked my list a little, added in 4 pokeblowers and a 3rd Unown G. The next day I started out horribly. I got T1d by a Haunter(Hoodwink + Crobat vs unown G). Awesome. I ended up 3-2 because I lost to Aaron in round 5(Also playing beedrill).

He ended up getting 2nd, losing to flygon in top 2. About 3 hours after the tournament, I get this text "Blowers aren't reliable enough to gust when you need them". I thought about it for a second, and send him back, "How about Luxray? Beedrill has free retreat, could set him up perfectly."

He thought the idea was decent, so I threw a deck together. For the next month I played almost nothing except Beedrill(The name RayBees had not yet been coined by Jimmy O'Brien yet).

I used this list at Nationals 09' (Straight From Apprentice):

//NAME: Untitled Deck
4 Bebe's Search
4 Roseanne's Research
2 Cyrus's Conspiracy
4 TG's Invention Poké Turn
2 Warp Point
4 Night Maintenance
3 Broken Time-Space
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball
2 Cynthia's Feelings
6 Grass Energy
1 Azelf L.55 LA
4 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
3 Unown G GE
2 Beedrill RI
2 Beedrill GE
4 Kakuna RI
4 Weedle GE
1 Luxray GL
1 Luxray GL LV.X

Nats was a little disappointing. I got drilled by a t2 Glaceon Level X in round 1, then rallied off 7 straight wins. I made a horrible misplay in t128 to lose game 1, yet managed to come back to win game 2 with 6 minutes left(45 minute top cuts ftl lol). I got a horrible set facing elimination game 2 of top 64, but managed to come back yet again.

Top 32 of Nationals was lame. My deck had officially gotten sick of playing. Game 1, I have the game in hand if I hit a maintenance off of an 8 card cynthias, with about 20 left in my deck(after I shuffle my hand in). Theres 3 Maintenance left, I whiff and lose game 1. Game 2 I have a trash hand and just can't get anything.

I didn't feel I went as far as I could have. Chatot would have helped 100%, but I wasn't as equipped as I was at worlds to handle Palkia lock either. As you can see in the next list.

By the time Worlds came around, no one besides me really believed in RayBees. I tried multiple times to give it to my friend Jim Roll's son, who ended up going 1-3 drop with Dark Flygon. My dad was only willing to use ApeRay for the grinder, and until the night before Aaron thought that regular Beedrill was better. Still, from Nationals to Worlds the only deck I picked up was RayBees. I felt that no matter what was played vs me, I had a positive match up and could win the game. For the most part, I was right.

The night before the Grinder came up, and Aaron couldn't get anything to work. I went in my bag and grabbed my deck. I tossed it to Aaron ( I believe Maurice was in the room at the time). I said to him, "The list is already written out, and it's in order".

He went 6-2, he got paired vs my dad in Rd2 who T1d his baltoy, and he had a lone Unown G start that got taken out by a Honchkrow. Kind of a lame way to lose 2 games, but it happens.

The morning of Worlds came, and I heard about this "awesome Flygon deck, that decks everything out." I also heard about the Gyarados deck, but I just kinda lol'd at that. I built the Flygon deck, and realized that Unown G > them.

About 10 minutes before lists were due; I had a pit in my stomach remembering how I lost at Nats, and how the deck sometimes gives me bad hands. I immediately flipped through the deck, and saw the only expendable card as being a Broken Time Space. I cut it for a Chatot. Best move I could have possibly made.

RayBees.dec:

3 Bebe's Search
4 Roseanne's Research
2 Cyrus's Conspiracy
1 TG's Invention Energy Gain
1 TG's Invention SP Radar
4 TG's Invention Poké Turn
2 Warp Point
4 Night Maintenance
2 Broken Time-Space
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball
2 Cynthia's Feelings

1 Lightning Energy
2 Multi Energy
3 Grass Energy

1 Chatot MD
1 Azelf L.55 LA
1 Crobat G PT
3 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Unown G GE
2 Beedrill RI
2 Beedrill GE
4 Kakuna RI
4 Weedle GE
1 Luxray GL
1 Luxray GL LV.X

I won my first game easily, got nailed by bad prizes and fainting spell flips game 2. Prized all 3 grass and azelf game 3. Then in round 5, I have the game. But he plays a lookers. I have 2 flutter wings, and bts in play. I need anything at all and I can kill his Active Raichu GL, I draw 3 energy, 2 night maintenance. Top deck..... BTS... Awesome. I have my chatot active, but he can OHKO anything next turn with his Palkia G X on the bench. I'm tilted, my day is about to be over with 3 losses. I look through his discard pile, 4 turns.... I'm like , "Believe in miracles!" he goes "what do you mean?" I say, "FLutter wings for weedle, bench. retreat chatot. attach a grass. String Shot. *reaches for my squirtle coin, and flips it at least 15 feet in the air*. It comes down, HEADS. He reads weedle, and goes on tilt.

One of my best plays ever(Top 32, Worlds):
I need to flutter wings to basically win the game. I know that he has one power spray left and it's in his hand. I use roseanne for weedle and azelf. I "debate" putting the azelf down. I then ask "Flutter Wings?" he allows it. I get a band attack beedrill (I have 3 in play). Try to use Azelf and he power sprays. I smile so big and tell him "there wasn't a Beedrill in there". I drop Crobat and double Poke'Turn to KO his active.

I guess the rest of Worlds is history .Am I the best player in the world? No, I don't think you can say that about anyone. But it was nice to get a big win, after I've been hosed by luck so many times.

Reflections:
Wow, just wow. I can’t believe I remember all of that. When I think about all the times I’ve just called out to my dad when I was a kid, “Hey dad, wanna play some cards?” It’s incredible. I love this game, and the one thing I can say to anyone reading this. Leave everything you’ve got on the table, don’t have any regrets.
One thing I’ve noticed in my game over the years is that I have absolutely no problem turning the game over to fate at any point.

For instance. If there is a chance early during a game to take board controll and disrupt your opponent enough to sway the game in your favor, most people will take it.
The difference between most people. and elite players(aka Ness) is that even if the move could give you the game, he is looking at the bigger picture. Yes this move could win the game. But if something goes wrong, could this same move cost me the game later on? If so, he would almost certainly not risk it.
I like to think to myself that I wouldn't go for it, but I almost for certain would. I have never had a problem turning the game over to fate and going for it.

I'd just like to end with the lyrics of one of my favorite songs:

Rooftops, a Liberation Broadcast

When our time is up
When our lives are done
Will we say we've had our fun?

Will we make a mark this time?
Will we always say we tried?

Standing on the rooftops
Everybody scream your heart out.
Standing on the rooftops
Standing on the rooftops
This is all we got now

All the love I've met
I have no regrets
If it all ends now, I'm set

Will we make a mark this time?
Will we always say we tried?

Standing on the rooftops
Standing on the rooftops
Standing on the rooftops
This is all we got now

Standing on the rooftops
(Wait until the bombs drop)
This is all we got now
(Scream until your heart stops)
Never gonna regret
(Watching every sunset)
We'll listen to your heartbeat
(All the love that we found)

Scream your heart out
Scream your

Standing on the rooftops
Standing on the rooftops
Standing on the rooftops
This is all we got now
Everybody scream your

In the end, everyone has a story and this is mine. I hope you enjoyed the read.

Wow you're a truly veteran and hardcore TCG player! now the very best at worlds! CONGRATULATIONS YOU REALLY DESERVED TO WIN!
i really enjoyed the read!

Cheers from Mèxico!

-Jigsaw-

Awesome story man. Congratulations on all of your success! You deserve it and love the song!

Ugh not a big fan of that song, nice report though. It sounds like you've had a good career playing pokemon.

Believe in Miracles - and everyone thought Weedle was a weak and useless Pokemon!

Great read, and some really good winning records there.

:wink:Nice read Stephen...

You may not remember that Louisianna State Championship...but I do! Mudslide for the win!! My only top 2 finish in a real tournament :cool:

That was the 1st time I met you and your dad and have been proud to know you 2 ever since.

See you soon i am sure...Georgia Marathon Part 3 maybe!!

Stevie: Nice article! So proud of you and all your accomplishments. Dunno if a repeat is in order, but I'd like to see a father and son in t16 (different brackets hopefully) and see where the chips fall! Maybe an all star Silvestro t2??

Take care and talk to you soon.

Keith

Wow. What a great read.

For newer players, and those approaching elite level, read this article carefully.

There are a lot of nuggets of wisdom and experience thrown in.

Best gym read I have had in quite some time.

Vince

Steve:
I can't wait to get to sit across the table from you in BRs. We may not always see eye-to-eye, but I've never had a bad time playing with you. Every top cut I make, you're there. I wish I could make it to your home town for a rematch of last season, but it's not in the cards. I'm sure we'll get at least one match this season.

This report is a great summation of the events you've played. Keep it up, champ. :thumb:

Pooka won Nationals and is a great player.

Won't say anyone "deserves" to win worlds.

I am from the midwest, and a great admirer of both Pooka's and Steve's skillz.

Vince

pooka should have won worlds.
he was a monster all year.
no joke.
im pretty sure anybody in the midwest would agree

Wow. Steve and I aren't the best of friends, but you've got to be kidding. No one person DESERVES to win worlds, why would we hold a tournament if that were the case? If he deserved it so much.... Why's Steve got the title?

I'm not knocking pooka, I don't even know the guy, but your comments are baseless.

Awesome article Stephen. Really enjoyed reading it.

Congrats on all your awesome playing. I am jealous of you winning Worlds and everything but I'm most jealous of the great relationship you have with your dad. It's good that you appreciate that since it's not always easy to get.

And brilliant song =)

Steve, great story. Its good to see you have so many memories. The new tournament season is starting and I look forward to seeing the new memories you will create.

Last edited:
pooka should have won worlds.
he was a monster all year.
no joke.
im pretty sure anybody in the midwest would agree

Nope, this was Steve's year to win. I had my moment in the spotlight, but it's time for me to step aside for the champ.

Nice read, Steve. It's amazing how many of us have been with the game from the start and where it's taken us. You and your dad's love for the game never ceases to amaze me. You guys are what this game is all about. Can't wait until Nats and Worlds to see you again!

Nicely done. Very inspiring, and if this isn't too cheesy, it moved me. I regret all the times I bashed Beedrill. And wonder if I will ever have the nerve too do what you did for this season: rogue!

If you don't mind, I think I wanna read this artical before every tournament. Yes, even battle roads. :lol:

God Bless

~~~

Last edited:
Back