Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

there is a difference beetween damage counters and damage right

f00lish

i was playing against a bannete deck. she used ghost head with lake boundary in play. she said she could ko my gallade in 1 hit by usin ghost head. she did 70 to herself and 140 to me. i said that it was only 70 beccause the card says damage counters. since i was playing the gym leader my authority was kinda less than hers. in the end i barely won. but my point is

aren't damage counters considered effects not damage.
arent damage counter not effected by weakness and resistance

You are correct. Popular attacks that deal damage counters are Banette's Ghost Head, Dusknoir's Hard Feelings and Gallade's Sonic Blade. These counters are put on the Pokemon as an EFFECT OF AN ATTACK, not as Damage.

Here is the ruling from the Compendium LvX to share with your League Leader:

Q. I've noticed that some cards say "Does 10 damage to the Defending Pokémon", whereas others say "Put 1 damage counter on the defending Pokémon". Is there any reason for the different wording? I've spoken to someone who says that you do not apply weakness or resistance for attacks where it specifies Damage Counters; is this the case?
A. There is a difference. As you mention, weakness and resistance are not applied when placing counters. Also, things like Defender and Metal Energy will not block Placing Damage Counters. It will not trigger things like Base Set Machamp's Strike Back. In the steps of resolving an Attack, "placing Damage Counters" counts as an Effect of the attack, it is not part of "doing damage". (Sep 18, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

It is the last ruling in the "Attacks in General" section found here:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-lvx.html#16

Back