Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This weekend I'm not going to complain about the price of anything...

Adv1sor

The title of this thread was the caption in a USA Today cartoon. It showed a man filling up his car with gas and looking out at a cemetery with grave markers listing past and present US wars...

Remembering the price they paid for my freedom, I think I agree that, this weekend I'm not going to complain about the price of anything...

It sucks that I have to pay 4 dollars a gallon, and that thousands of innocent lives had to be ended for it to happen.

OK,

US wars have very little to do with the price of oil and therefore the increase of gas.

What does is the old fashioned thing called Supply and Demand. Thanks to fast developing countries like China and India, who now have astronomical increase of demand for Oil, You can also blame US, yes US, we drive around with our gas guzzlers haphazardly not thinking of its impact, OUR government needs to get of their fat asses and start tapping into to wealth of oil we have, CHINA and MEXICO are right off our coasts. I am sick of people saying the oil companies are making too much money, the main thing in a business is to maximize profits. Bottom line is to use less and conserve.

I try to tell soccer moms everday to conserve. Ever go by a school 15 minutes before they let out on a beautiful day. Count howmany cars will sit there with the engine running . They will never listen even at $10 a gallon. I'm sick of oil companies making too much money. I,m also sick of paying for war. We have enough problems that we never solve in our own country before we take off and try to rebuild other countries. I know freedom is not free. But next time we go to war , kill em all and let god sort it out.

The title of this thread was the caption in a USA Today cartoon. It showed a man filling up his car with gas and looking out at a cemetery with grave markers listing past and present US wars...

Remembering the price they paid for my freedom, I think I agree that, this weekend I'm not going to complain about the price of anything...
Too bad the US wars had nothing to with freedom.
The last time the US military was used to protect our freedom was the American Revolution. Pretty much every war after that was a war of intervention.
Let's not fool ourselves- the military is here to protect and serve the interests of the state, not to protect freedom.
It is sad that people died, sure, but it would also be sad to falsely believe that people who fought in wars that our government started (non-defensive wars) were dying for freedom. It's sad that people people signed up for the military, thinking they were going to fight for a good cause, rather than fight for the interests of the government officials.

They died so we could be free to pay $4 a gallon?
I suppose the word "free" is relative.

Gas prices are high, not so much because of supply demand/ Iraqui oil being of the market ect, but instead because the oil is priced in $'s. Thus when the dollar losses it's value, the value of oil goes up.

I'm liking the idea of not complaining, but it's so hard when you spend all your money on gas.

Filling up my car while looking at war graves would make me want to punch something, because it will remind me that our troops were sacrificed for nothing and that our entire country now must pay because a few politicians decided they want money.

There are of course many factors influencing the price, but the most important is:

The simple concept of supply and demand, when related to a business, aiming to make a profit.

Simply put, they can for instance, compare how much profit they would make, at different prices that they could charge for petrol/oil, and therefore go for the largest profit available.

It can be elaborated much more than that, but a simple exmaple is this:

(As price increases, quantity demanded decreases....:cool:)

The cost price of xyz is 10 cents per unit.
If they sell at

20 cents per unit, they will make 100 sales per day $10 profit
30 cents per unit, they will make 80 sales per day $16 profit
40 cents per unit, they will make 40 sales per day $12 profit
50 cents per unit, they will make 10 sales per day $4 profit
60 cents per unit, they will make 1 sale per day $0.50 profit
61 cents + per unit, they will make no sales per day $0 profit

Under this logic, assuming they have unlimited supply of the xyz good/service, they will sell at 30 cents per unit, as this is the price which they earn the most profit.

Normally, a lower price in the range would be seleceted, HOWEVER, in the case of oil, quantity demanded BARELY decreases as price increases, so a higher price is more profitable.

It's okay that the few people that hold the lifeblood of our society in their iron grips are fleecing us for exorbitant profit; they're just doing business!

This... this is a frightening culture.

Clearly you don't pay gas. Financially it's overwhelming. (rants)

I am not saying that dying for ones country isn't worth more.

There are of course many factors influencing the price, but the most important is:

The simple concept of supply and demand, when related to a business, aiming to make a profit.

Simply put, they can for instance, compare how much profit they would make, at different prices that they could charge for petrol/oil, and therefore go for the largest profit available.

It can be elaborated much more than that, but a simple exmaple is this:

(As price increases, quantity demanded decreases....:cool:)

The cost price of xyz is 10 cents per unit.
If they sell at

20 cents per unit, they will make 100 sales per day $10 profit
30 cents per unit, they will make 80 sales per day $16 profit
40 cents per unit, they will make 40 sales per day $12 profit
50 cents per unit, they will make 10 sales per day $4 profit
60 cents per unit, they will make 1 sale per day $0.50 profit
61 cents + per unit, they will make no sales per day $0 profit

Under this logic, assuming they have unlimited supply of the xyz good/service, they will sell at 30 cents per unit, as this is the price which they earn the most profit.

Normally, a lower price in the range would be seleceted, HOWEVER, in the case of oil, quantity demanded BARELY decreases as price increases, so a higher price is more profitable.

Love inelastic demand right?

Too bad the US wars had nothing to with freedom.
The last time the US military was used to protect our freedom was the American Revolution. Pretty much every war after that was a war of intervention.
Let's not fool ourselves- the military is here to protect and serve the interests of the state, not to protect freedom.
It is sad that people died, sure, but it would also be sad to falsely believe that people who fought in wars that our government started (non-defensive wars) were dying for freedom. It's sad that people people signed up for the military, thinking they were going to fight for a good cause, rather than fight for the interests of the government officials.

So ww2 wasn't defensive? I mean Japan only bombed Pearl Harbor and killed thousands WHILE they had diplomats in DC negotiating for peace.

OK,

US wars have very little to do with the price of oil and therefore the increase of gas.

What does is the old fashioned thing called Supply and Demand. Thanks to fast developing countries like China and India, who now have astronomical increase of demand for Oil, You can also blame US, yes US, we drive around with our gas guzzlers haphazardly not thinking of its impact, OUR government needs to get of their fat asses and start tapping into to wealth of oil we have, CHINA and MEXICO are right off our coasts. I am sick of people saying the oil companies are making too much money, the main thing in a business is to maximize profits. Bottom line is to use less and conserve.

I feel you have a point to an extent, but that's not all necessarily true. Believe me, being a business major (and in accounting no less), I know your point about businesses maximizing profits and all. However, consider for example how cheap gas is in some of these oil-rich mideastern countries, and then looking at what the rest of the world pays for gas, there is a discrepancy somewhere. Not to mention that the war isn't helping matters, and corporate greed does play a role in this as well.

Yah, but as good americans we're all taught that making rich people richer is better for the economy because they have more capital to spend. Right? I mean that's why we give so many tax breaks to them so they can spend more money and give us more jobs. So we shouldn't mind paying higher prices for jobs because eventually it will come back to us =D.

Yah, but as good americans we're all taught that making rich people richer is better for the economy because they have more capital to spend. Right? I mean that's why we give so many tax breaks to them so they can spend more money and give us more jobs. So we shouldn't mind paying higher prices for jobs because eventually it will come back to us =D.

Are you secretly Robert T. Kiyosaki

XD

Sorry... I'll shut up now..

No, he's the ghost of Ronald Reagan, who gets riled up when people do commie things like complain about something multinational oligopolies do.

I have to disagree. I understand we are "free". But if I have to pay taxes on the money I make when I grow up, pay for the food I NEED to LIVE, etc!!

Most likely not be allowed to own a gun, etc.

The last thing I'll feel is "free"

Maybe controlled "freedom" is more like it.

Last edited:
Back