Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Thoughts on porygon deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirtle75

Hello to all, just joined the forum. I have been enjoying the advice you have on different decks. Please give some feedback on the one I have been running.

pokemon:22

4-4-3-1 porygon-z lv x
3-2 wigglytuff GE
3-2 linoone GE

trainers:14

4 energy search
2 rare candy
2 amulet coin
2 poke ball
2 quick ball
2 premier ball

energy:24

8:water:
8:lightning
8:psychic:

srategy:

of course you want to get porygon-z out quick.use his power to change his type.i chose :water:,:lightning,and:psychic:energy for magmortar,empoleon,and GG/PLOX
use zigzagoon's pull out attack to get porygon-z back into your deck after he has been knocked out
wigglytuff is to put the opponent's active pokemon to sleep

Hey, I'm a big fan of Porygon-Z. Couple things with your deck that jump out at me. First and foremost, you need some setup cards that will enable you to get your deck going fast. Cards like these include Roseanne's Research or the Pokemon Pachirisu or the energy, Call Energy. These cards allow you to get your Basic Pokemon out so you can get going. Second, you're running a lot of energy, you truly don't need that much energy.

Next, you're running high amounts of Porygon2, yet you do not run any Supporters to benefit from its Download Pokemon Power. I also understand your supporting Pokemon, but I do not think they benefit the deck very much, I'd recommend you change them. Another possible option is to run Smeargle and use it's ability to grab three energy from the deck for free. I'd recommend maybe 2 of those along with a 2/2 Claydol line. Claydol lets you setup by drawing cards from your deck. Also, don't be afraid to get a little more bold and run additional types of energy for the other various decks.

This is how I'd make your deck for the next Format:

Pokemon: 20
4 Pachirisu
4 Porygon
3 Porygon2
3 PorygonZ
1 PorygonZ LvX
2 Baltoy
2 Claydol
1 Smeargle

Energy: 17
4 Psychic
4 Water
4 Lightning
2 Fighting
1 Fire
1 Grass
1 Darkness (Basic)

Trainers: 23
4 Bebe's Search
3 Rare Candy
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Professor Oak's Visit
3 Dusk Ball
3 Night Maintenance
2 Team Galactic's Wager
2 Felicity's Drawing

A note: I added so many Night Maintenance to be able to get your energy back as you're discard with Porygon-Z's Power. You may also want to consider some Rare Candy. You could easily drop the Felicity's Drawings and 1 Dusk Ball for 3 Rare Candy. Just wanted to give you that option as well.

Good luck,

~Jim

thanks for the advice.i have the cards and i'll give it a try i'm a little short on supporters though.
thanks:biggrin:.i really like the wigglytuff though.they have helped a lot.would energy restore work instead of NM?

i tested the deck with some of the changes. 4 pachi seemed like too many. i didn't have enough NM so i used energy restore. i haven't tested all of the supporters yet or the energy changes but it has been working good so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Im Another of the big porygon fans, i use a modified Skittles approach, with Rotom used to get the energy i discard onto a Ho-oh. One thing you really want here is a couple of Lake Boundrys. These stadiums make all weakness's x2, so a single heads flip is 80 damage, while 3 is a whoping 240, assuming you discard the right energy. As for your energy, i know your trying to target the metagame, but with the changes comming next format, you may want to spread it out abit. Night Maintainces and Energy Restores allow you to use only a few of each type of energy while reliably having them when you need to hit that specific weakness. Heres the energy i use:
3 Psychic, for GG
3 Water, for Magmortar/Infernape
3 Electric, for Empoleon
2 Fighting, for Darkrai/Garchomp/Porygon
2 Grass, for Kabutops/Claydol
2 Darkness, for Bannete
2 Fire, for Leafeon/Sceptile/Torterra/Beedrill/Kricketune (Lots of decks, but you dont see any of them often)
Having such a rainbow is critical for me and my use of Ho-oh, but its also a huge help in a tournament setting when, while certain decks like Empo, GG, and Mags are prominant, you will run into rogues as well. Im not running any Metal, but i found that i run into Bannete more often then i do Glaceon and Weavile.

thanks shuckleLvX. what do you think of the pokemon i'm using.

2-2 claydol
3-2 wigglytuff
4-3-3-1 porygon-z
1 smeargle
2 pachi

Last edited:
unless you change your trained engine to include more supporters, i would drop the Porygon line to 4-2-3-1, as your not going to need the Porygon 2's power. If this deck isnt currently DP-on, i would change the wigglytuff line to 1-2-2, with the CG igglybuff, which makes all your Igg/Jigg/Wigg's free retreat. I would also throw in some Holon energy GL, with a couple extra Grass energy, which will make your Porygon immune to the sleep effect from wigglytuff. As it is your not running anything to heal your porygon after the wigglytuff puts it to sleep (Double Full Heal, Recover/Heal energy, Switch's and Warp Point's would be great) Smeargle is cool, but i dont like the idea of having to sac him late game to get a couple energy, which claydol should be able to do just fine. If you drop the Pachis (Which i dont think you need personaly) and a jigglypuff, and bump the smeargle count to 4 so its a reliable starter, that would be cool. Not to mention the fact that hes a half decent attacker if it comes down to it.

if i did anything with smeargle i would propably take him out. how does this look?

pokemon:18

2-2 claydol
2-2 wigglytuff
4-2-3-1 porygon-z

trainers:21

2 premier ball
2 rare candy
2 energy search
2 NM
2 dusk ball
3 mom's kindness
4 POV
2 roseanne's
2 switch
2 lake boundary

energy:19

2:fighting:
2:grass:
2:fire:
2:dark:(basic)
4:lightning
4:water:
3:psychic:

this deck is dp on:biggrin:

Last edited:
-3 Moms
-2 Energy Search
-2 Dusk Ball
-1 Switch

+1 Rare Candy
+1 Roasannes
+2 Warp Point
+1 Night Maintaince
+3 Bebes Search

Pokemon and Energy looks great though ^_^ Many people will say that 20 is abit too many though, I would try and cut back another 2 for some more trainers.

i'll try to put in warp point,but wouldn't it take the sleep condition off of both active pokemon? i don't have any more NM,rare candy,and i was going to put in bebe's but i can only find 1. this is just about all the trainers i have right now

Last edited:
it's nice to see more porgyon decks. i am also new and running a porgyon-z lv x deck with bastidon
i would add take out the linoone and add furret and maybe some celio's networks until september

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back