Tips on building a deck for dragon prerelease

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Dro~, Nov 17, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dro~

Dro~ New Member

I've never participated in a prerelease tournamnet before but this Saturday I've decided to join. All I know is that each person builds a 40-card deck from the 6 booster packs given in the tournament. I have no idea how to build a good deck out of the 54 cards. From the new dragon set, most of them are pokemon, and very few trainer cards. What's the chance of picking the right booster with the right basic and evolved pokemon cards? I'm stuck. I need tips and help. :eek:

2. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

your basically stuck with what you get. You will see alot of basics, a few stage 1's and even fewer stage 2's, and getting all 3 stages is a lucky coincedence(sp?). I pulled 2 Bagons and 2 Salamances, without 1 shellgon, and the same with 2 Geodudes, 1 Golem, and 1 Golem EX. I did manage a 3-1-1 line on Flygon, and a 3-1 line on Gyarados.

Good tips, if you pull Girafarig's, use them. Their first attack is VERY usefull. Try to use any big basics you can, and any stage 1's and 2's you can. Try and limit your deck to 2 colors, maybe 3. If you pull Trainer cards, use them. Most likely they will come in handy, especially Briney's Compassion and TV Reporter. I would say 15-17 Energy is about right, try and make sure you have 10 or more Basics. Basics tend to be the main threat since they are easier to obtain.

3. Dro~

Dro~ New Member

So that means it's ok to run a 3-1-1 line in this format?

4. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

it is, but i never got my Flygon out..... just FYI. Also in Sandstorm prerelease I was able to get a 3-1-1 line of Shiftry out twice, without my Rare Candy...... more FYI

Stage 2's, if able to come out will dominate.... Try to get a couple of Gyrados, Uncommon, it is strong. I had 1, it won me a round, and a practice round.... its first attack is effecient, 1 W for a flip. Heads does 10 damage and removes an energy. WCCCC does 80, without applying resistance. 100 HP, and Karps ability to swarm makes Briney a great card...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  5. NoPoke

NoPoke Active Member

What you do is look out for the realy impressive commons... Kindle is very good!

The uncommons are tricky as they are harder to pull than the rares..

6. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Look for basics that can 1. do alot of damage really fast or 2. screw up your opponent's badly. One big mistake is don't grab too many Basic Energy Cards. Also take advantage of TV Reporter if you are lucky enough to get it. Also try to build off of your strongest supporting type, and avoid colorless dragons with multitype attacks in the dragons prerelease, cause there won't be an energy search or a rainbow energy at all. Also evolution cards should be used lightly and for bonus effects only, do not use them as your primary strategies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.