Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tips on Running Tournaments

I was recently made the PTO for the Buffalo NY area. I have yet to run an Nintendo tournament but I have ran many DCI tournaments for WOTC. I was wondering if you TO's and PTO's can give me some tips on running a successful event.

Backups, backups, backups. Make sure you SAVE your file in TMS after you do ANYTHING. Also, get intimate with that software. Most of the functionality that is in it is not apparently obvious, such as dropping players, repairing a round, etc. You're also going to have to develop some method for printing pairings as TMS currently doesn't do that (screen prints work well). Side events are a must. Players really want them. Just continue on with what you've been doing for DCI events and you'll be just fine.

keep the players busy so the don't keep comming up to you and interfering with the running of the tournament.

Side events, GBA tournaments, Super Smash Brothers, Traders...anything to keep them away from the people running the event!

When you do your pre-release on the next set, I can bring down a gamecube (if needed) and Super smash brothers Melee. You'll have to supply the tv. I agree, that keeps the unoccupied occupied. Also very useful is a way to print up match result slips. I'm not sure if the program has that function or not, but a drag and drop method, although tedious and time consuming, will be beneficial, helping to end confusion about results of people you don't personally know yet.

• Have fun!
  • Get real familiar with the tournament software before the tournament. (Try running a mock tournament ahead of time.)
  • Be clear on the rules and be consistent.
  • Don’t allow any ruling to be swayed by the players, spectators, parents, etc.
  • If at all possible, have a full-time, and very knowledgeable, judge assigned to the tournament.
  • Have fun!
  • Try to start on time.
  • Make sure everyone knows how many rounds will be played.
  • Have fun!

If you have a lot of 10 years and younger kids, print some drawing(coloring) papers, bring pencils and award a pice for the best drawing.
Keeps them buzy for 15 minutes!

Back