Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

To counter Kingdra and AMU, a DP-LA tech article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic_Umbreon

Researching Tower Scientist, Retired
Translations

Thanks to the awesome people at pokébeach, translations are available for the upcoming Legends Awakening cards. The unreleased cards in my list are as follows:

Mewtwo Lv.X - :psychic: - HP120
Level-up

Poke-Body: Psychic Barrier
Prevent all damage and effects done to Mewtwo by the attacks of your opponent's unevolved Pokémon.

[P][P][C] Giga Burn: 120 damage. Discard all Energy attached to Mewtwo.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Ditto - :colorless - HP60
Basic Pokémon

Poké-Body: Metamorphosizing DNA
As long as this Pokemon is an Active Pokémon, its maximum HP is the same as the opponent's Active Pokémon's maximum HP, and it can use that Pokémon's attacks as its own (it must have the required Energy for the attack).

Weakness: Fighting (+20)
Retreat: 1

Froslass - :water: - HP90
Stage 1 - Evolves from Snorunt

[P] Destiny Bond: Discard 1 Psychic Energy attached to Froslass. During your opponent's next turn, if Froslass' HP is reduced to 0 by an attack, the attacking Pokémon is Knocked Out.
[W][C] Icy Breath: 40 damage. The Defending Pokémon is now Asleep. Place 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: Metal (+20)

Mesprit - :psychic: - HP70
Basic Pokémon

Poké-Power: Psychic Bind
You can use this Power once during your turn, when you play this card from your hand onto your Bench. Your opponent can't use any Poké-Powers during your opponent's next turn.

[P][P] Supernatural Power: 20 damage. If you and your opponent have the same number of cards in your hands, this attack does an additional 50 damage.

Weakness: Psychic (+20)

Spiritomb - :psychic: - HP70
Basic Pokémon

Poké-Power: Cursed Breath
You can use this Power once during your turn, when you play this card from your hand onto your Bench. Place 1 damage counter on every Pokémon in play that already has damage counters on it. This Power can't be used if you already used another Cursed Breath Poké-Power during your turn.

[P] Pain Move: Choose 1 damage counter on one of your Pokémon and move it onto one of your opponent's Pokémon.

Weakness: none
Resistance: Colorless (-20)
Retreat: 2

Cynthia's Strategy - Supporter

Return your hand to your deck and shuffle your deck. Then, draw 4 cards from your deck.
If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out on your opponent's previous turn, draw an additional 4 cards.

You can use a Supporter once during your turn. To use it, play it next to your Active Pokémon and discard it at the end of your turn.

Energy Patch - Trainer

Flip a coin, if heads attach 1 Basic Energy card from your discard pile to one of your Pokémon.

Technical Machine TM-2

[.] De-Evolutionator: De-Evolve 1 of your opponent’s Pokémon (excluding Pokemon LV.X) by 1 Evolutionary stage. The Pokémon card removed by De-Evolution is returned to your opponent’s hand.

To use a Technical Machine, attach it to one of your Pokemon. The Pokemon this card is attached to can use the attack on this card.

Snowpoint Temple - Stadium

Each player's Unevolved Pokémon has its maximum HP increased by 20.

A Stadium can only be put into play next to your Active Pokémon once during your turn. If a Stadium with a different name is put into play, discard this card.

Decklist

Pokémon: 21
2 Mewtwo
2 Mewtwo LvX
2 Ditto
4 Snorunt
4 Froslass
1 Rotom
2 Spiritomb
1 Palkia
1 Palkia LvX
1 Mesprit
1 Lunatone

Trainers: 25
4 Roseanne's Research
1 Moonlight Stadium
2 Snowpoint Temple
4 Energy Patch
4 Dusk Ball
2 Cynthia's Strategy
4 Felicity's Drawing
3 Amulet Coin
1 TM 2

Energy: 14
9 Psychic Energy
5 Water Energy

Strategy

Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie amongst other basic pokémon cannot damage Mewtwo even if they level up. If your opponent is running an all basic deck or close, with Mewtwo out you have as good as won the game. Kingdra has a very low energy cost of a lone water energy. Ditto can very easily copy this with a lone water energy. Snowpoint Stadium benefits both Mewtwo and Ditto. With Snowpoint Stadium in play, while Ditto is against a Kingdra it will have 150HP, making it very difficult to take down. You can easily copy its attacks and threaten a very efficent damage and spread output.

Froslass has great synergy with the strategy detailed so far. It uses the water and psychic energy costs needed by Mewtwo and Ditto. Froslass can discard psychic energy for Mewtwo's energy absorbtion, Rotom's dual trans or energy patch while using destiny bond. If amulet coin is attached to Froslass, you can be drawing cards while it is threatening KOs with destiny bond. Amulet coin is also useful for Mewtwo against basics or a durable Ditto and provides an efficent draw engine with Pachirisu seeing less play. Pachirisu can't discard it from Mewtwo LvX either.

Froslass can also use water energy for its second attack. Putting them asleep gives another opportunity to draw with amulet coin, as well as spreading a lot of damage quickly. Spiritomb will escalate this damage further and function as a crucial searchable pluspower. For example, in Ditto versus Kingdra, Ditto can do 60 damage however is 10 short of KOing Kingdra with another copied attack. by dropping Spiritomb you can bridge that gap. There are many similar situations where the extra damage helps, such as Mewtwo LvX's Giga Blast reaching 130 or 140 damage. Pokémon that have been hit by Froslass' bench spread are also in range. Everything just adds up right this way.

Energy patch is a high-risk high-return card, capable of charging your pokémon quickly and recover from discarded energy. There are lots of ways to discard energies, such as Felicity's drawing, Lunatone, Froslass and Mewtwo LvX's attacks, Ditto copying Kingdra's attack. Roseanne's research is massively versatile for this purpose, searching out the required basic energy and/or the basics to setup and tech. This discard method is very useful for the Mewtwo and Rotom combos mentioned earlier.

It is worth mentioning that Snorunt possesses a useful Collect attack, and Palkia's transback can search for the useful stadiums early on, though is a less desired starter. Palkia LvX's poké-power is to bring opposing Claydols active, as well as to KO heavily damaged benched pokémon. If a pokémon can be locked into the active, there are many options available such as charging with Rotom or Mewtwo, spreading with Froslass and extra draw with amulet coin.

Thanks for reading, criticism and improvements highly appreciated! I'm thinking of trying to fit some premier balls in, or perhaps night maintenance.

If you read the strategy, I mention it is a way for energies to be discarded. Spiritomb is too useful to drop, and Dusknoir would not work in a 1-0-1 line as I have no way to skip the stage 1, no rare candy. Roseanne's research is a pivotal card to the deck throughout setup, mid and late game.

Thanks very much for your comment, however I don't think it would improve the deck and I have explained why. But please I don't want to put anyone off replying. One useful suggestion among many unhelpful ones is infinetly better than no suggestions at all, and it is very possible your idea could be just what helps me so please and thank you awesome people. :)

I don't know how well the deck could possibly do without claydol. Also, it is pretty clunky.

Drop the palkia lv.x line, lunatone and an amulet coin for a 2-2 claydol

Here is my problem with ditto.

All they have to do is retreat to a Horsea and you are ko'd if you haev any damage on you. Then they still get to attack you.

If I am your opponent, and you are playing ditto, I am planning on using it to my advantage.

Since you're running Psychic and Water, why not Starmie? Starmie can snipe off Pixies in two turns for only one measly Psychic energy and makes Claydol want to bury itself in a hole. While not as efficient against Kingdra, you still have other guys to deal with Kingdra in this deck, do you not?

Ok. Well, here is my problem. You say for a "counter" against AMU, that Mewtwo solves the problem? Honestly, I respect the theory, but people are not going to run simply the elves with no evolutions, when most players are very aware of Mewtwo Lvl X's presence. As shown in my deck Tri-force, I am running Gardevoir with my little elves. It is an answer to Mewtwo in itself, seeing as with Azelf Lvl X in play, Garde no longer has a weakness, I am able to use Garde Lvl X for tech, and Mewtwo cannot one shot a non-weakness Garde Lvl X, but I still can KO him in one hit. Plus, Garde locks up all the powers, top that off with Azelf MT making Mewtwo and Ditto pay an extra energy just to KO something, and even Uxie MT whom gets hit by an attack and then disables it's use for one turn. I just can't agree, with how much credit people are putting into Mewtwo, when so clearly no one is going to be gusty enough to use just the elves in a solo deck. Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk, although I think I may sound kinda harsh...

Can't a devolution TM or Omastar take care of anything trying to counteract Mewtwo though, aside from Gardevoir? It shouldn't be that hard to take care of anything trying to deal with it.

I personally think you might be on to something with this, but can you deal with the other tier decks and rogues out there on the market?

And not to be harsh, but Giga Burn can one shot a Gardevoir, and a Level X with Bucks/Pluspower and I doubt anyone will be soloing Mewtwo, thats not practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back