Toonami

Discussion in 'Anime Realm' started by Psycho_Lugia_X, Apr 13, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Psycho_Lugia_X

Psycho_Lugia_X New Member

As most of you know, Toonami is getting completely shifted over to Saturdays, after years as a weekday event. They are replacing the generally quality driven line up with "Miguzi," which will showcase Totally Spies, Teenage Mutant..., some new show i haven't seen before: Code Lyoko, and Teen Titans.

The following can be considered a kind of Eulogy.

First off, I cannot believe they would get rid of the one block that delivers new episodes of stuff on weekdays and not once a week, as most cartoon blocks do.

They gave out quality shows. And now they will replace Toonami with some ridiculous subpar shows. Teen Titans! What is this show?! It's fine on the weekends, but now they plan on shoving it down your throat daily! Why does Cartoon Network assume we want to see all this garbage? Some pseudo-anime? If you want to cash in on anime, fine, but put some more effort into it.

Especially that filth, Totally Spies. It's worse than Titans. The lip sync is blatently off. They don't realize the lip sync on anime is not intentially off, but they are swapping entire languages! Then if that's not bad enough, they use the US method of forming words with their mouths. In anime, when do they ever exaggerate lip movement like that? Once in a while to emphasize something, but on the average, I don't see it.

If you wanted somethign new, something different, you turned to Toonami. You wanted to escape from all the other overplayed junk. You didn't want the Kids Next Door, you didn't want Scooby-Doo, you wanted something you could value. What i loved about Toonami was that for once, you'd get new episodes of shows you wanted to see on weekdays. Not Saturdays--weekdays. And now that one, basic luxury is ripped away.

This isnt to say that this Miguzi will be all terrible; to be fair, we have to give it a shot. But i know it will not have the reverence Toonami had. There was great stuff on Toonami, throughout its weekday reign, but now it is crammed over to Saturdays. I can tell you this: I am not supporting Cartoon Network's decision to air Teen Titans and Totally Spies where Toonami used to be. I know already those shows arent worth watching regularly--at least that's true for Titans; Spies is not worth a spot on TV period!

I want to take a look at the new show, Code Lyoko. It looks like it might bring some value to Miguzi's so far barren table. And i have always been a Turtles fan. There's always something else on other than Turtles when it airs, so, with this Toonami slot, I might be able to see what this new breed of Turtle cartoon can bring. With this in mind, there's one hour worth watching on Toonami's ex-time. And we aren't even sure if this new show will be worth watching, and there's no guarantee that the Turtles will still be good.

The wound was removing Toonami from its signature time slot. The salt was the planned replacement line up: Totally Spies, Code Lyoko, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Teen Titans. It's like the spoiled kid's rich mom busting into the club meeting and forcing the club to accept new members, while kicking out senior members.

A new Toonami and a pseudo-Toonami. It hasn't always been great, under the reign of Tom or Moltar, but for the most part, it has been a daily event. This Miguzi has its eyes locked on Toonami's former glory spot. Will it triumph and usher in a new era of weekday cartoons? I doubt it, but we'll see.

We'll see.

2. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Wait...they are taking off all the anime shows during the week and putting TMNT, she spies, and TT? WHY?! That makes no sense at all! No more DBZ, no more g gundam, no more yu yu hakusho, no more dragonball, no more astroboy? THis makes NO sense at all! I guess I will have to find a new anime channel to watch during the week. Hello techtv I guess. This is so stupid of CN to do. Really, it really is a bad idea. WOW I SO WANT TO WATCH TMNT AND SHE SPIES INSTEAD OF ANIME!!!1111

edit: and I can guarantee that this new mizurgi or whatever will...

BOMB!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  3. Psycho_Lugia_X

just to be fair, i myself, am attempting not to brand the block, since i haven't seen everything they have to offer; i have seen Spies and Titans--those i know aren't worth the slots.

I have seen a few TMNT episodes on Fox, and the show seemed promising; but what will make or break this Miguzi as watchable or detestable will be the fourth show: Code Lyoko.

I have never heard of it at all, so I am anxious to see what it is all about, but so far, they have two clear strikes against them: Titans and Spies. We'll pretend TMNT is a ball. So for me at least, it all comes down to that Code Lyoko.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  4. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

I'm actually more upset they're replacing some of the shows on the old saturday night block. The one with the video game guy. I was really liking Rurouni Kenshin and some other shows I had not seen before. I hate that more than losing the never ending DB/Z/GT repeats. The DB/Z/GT would still be MUCH better than this. I don't see anything to good on Mizo whatever. I like Titans but I can see that more than enough on the weekends. The ONLY good thing out of all this is we get Yu YU Hakusho back. (but only at once a week again :mad: )
    Hopefully it will bomb soon and some order will be restored.

5. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I'm personally extremely ticked off at this. Thexe people think that they can take one of the most legendary slots on TV (Toonami, a weekday thing), put it in place of another not quite so legendary time slot (Saturday), take out some of my favorite shows (Duel Masters, Ruroni Kenshin), show some PATHETIC movies in their place (Lego-inspired? please...) and replace Toonami with 2 hours of trash (Titans is pathetic, Spies is worse, Turtles doesn't measure up to its older cousin from the late 80s...). Bah. It seems that Cartoonn Net is tyrying to push us AWAY from their programming (I LOVE KENSHIN!!!!!!!!!!) and towards the random stuff that Disney threw away...

6. Marril

Marril New Member

Actually I didn't think the new TMNT was worth it... but then they brought Karai into the show. Best Turtles character ever.

7. Prime

Funny thing, Disney now has a anime block showing everyday that shows power rangers, digimon, beyblade v-force and buzz lightyear. Okay, not much of an anime lineup, but still in the future, we might see more anime being played on disney.

8. Psycho_Lugia_X

Yeah, like i said in the other thread about Gundam Seed andToonami, I'll admit that Toonami didn't/hasn't/won't let DBZ die out gracefully. Maybe they are just trying to keep up the support so that the movie will still hold interest when it comes out?

I think "Saturday" is a great block; in fact, for a few weeks, i thought it was better than Toonami! Toonami fell into a smallt slump recently, and the nonstop DB/Z/GT stuff kinda helped, but kinda hurt it. It's nice to have so much DB... at your disposal, but, I fear it may be overkill.

All in all, not a great way to go out of their signature time slot.

But at least Toonami is getting more time. Maybe my memory is getting fuzzy, but wasn't Toonami a three hour block previously? Then they stunted it to two. That is terrible. But, as long as they dont ditch Toonami completely, we should value what they leave us.

I hope Cartoon Network doesnt get hooked on this new block though, it really doesnt deserve to be up.

9. Prime

I watch more CN at night than in the afternoon most of the time so I guess...it's alright.

10. Psycho_Lugia_X

yeah but it's the principle of the matter isnt it? Like having a newest member of a team become the leader of it, or having an inexperienced worker become the boss of a senior worker who knows what he's doing.

Toonami's weekday life didn't go out with much of a bang, but there's always the memories of better times.

And do they really think Miguzi can "trump" Toonami? Especially with that sorry line-up?

And since I'm on it, why is a cable network, Cartoon Network, taking non-cable shows, Ninja Turtles, like mad? Kinda reversed. You'd think regular would want cable shows, not the other way around...

11. bullados

kiddie cartoons tend to go that way. Network TV stations think that it will do well in a Weekend spot. They find out that it doesn't, and they don't want to put it on weekdays. Cartoon Network is sorta the graveyard/retirement home for all these worn out cartoons.

BTW, I watched the new Toonami last night. It wasn't that bad. The only thing that I'd do is get rid of the stupid movies, replace them with more Kenshin, YYH, and Gundam Seed (that show was pretty good)

12. Dek

Dek New Member

Well im back from my nice trip in Atlanta...

anyhoo, While in Atlanta, i was able to watch some of the new Toonami. Although I dont like the idea of putting it in Saturdays, I do like the the shows that they out in there, ESPECIALLY Gundam Seed. Yes, I am a little of a Gundam nut, so i was very excited to see the premiere. On the positive side, I do like the fact that they also included a small Adult Swim section right after Toonami was over (Adult Swim feature this week was the Animatrix).

13. Psycho_Lugia_X

You know, i didn't get to catch Seed because i think SNL was on or something. Wait, actually it was Law&Order. What is the thing about that show? I was surfing during the commercials, and saw a little of it, but it seemed so-so.

I would actually have preferred if they kept Toonami on weekdays, and Saturday on Saturdays. Saturday was a pretty good block, but then again, I guess the new Toonami has its upsides as well.

Anyone care to give the one week review of Miguzi?

14. bullados

The only relatively interesting show is the one after Totaly Spies (TS blows, TNMT can't measure up to the original, and Teen Titans is worse than TS)

15. johnznothere

johnznothere New Member

How is Totally Spies good? I mean they're all wanna-be animes. Wait, they're not even japanese cartoons! why dont they just add Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab to it and get it over with?!?!?

16. bullados

I said the one AFTER TS, not TS itself. TS blows. Virtually everything on Miguzi blows except for Code Loyoko, which is actually kinda interesting, despite the bad cartooning.

17. Prime

I totally hate TS, and Code Lyoko, but I am liking TMNT and TT so far. I liked them to begin with, so it isn't hard for me to like them now. I rather take animes over them though. Code Lyoko has to be the stupidest anime I have ever seen. It's funny how they play the opening music every 10 secs, it gets so annoying. And what is the show about? People digitizing themself into a computer, hitting a button, going back and time, and doing something different? S-t-u-p-i-d IMHO.

18. Psycho_Lugia_X

You know what, I wonder if Code Lyoko might be a French show...anyone know anything about that?

I was reading the credits and I remember seeing a bunch of French sounding names. And i don't remember seeing that many Japanese sounding names.

It's a decent show, i was only able to see two episodes, but it seems ok to me.

Still miss Toonami on weekdays though.

And we need more original shows on Toonami. JCA is a fine show, but not for Toonamil they need to make a clear line between the old Saturday block and the new Toonami block.

Oh, and i saw a little bit of Gundam Seed. I wish they'd put it on a little earlier, by putting the movie on later or something. Seems ok i guess, couldn't really follow what i saw.

Anyone care to explain Gundam Seed for those of us not in the know?

19. bullados

I've only seen the first two episodes. It's very similar to GGundam, only with the war now taking place more in space instead of on land. Also, our hero gundam now has a type of shielding that makes him impervious to energy attacks, and lacks the Shining Finger attack, it being replaced by machine guns and a couple of daggers, and the whole thing looks very similar to old Gundams. The technology isn't as advanced, the pilot sits down and controls a bunch of levers and buttons. There are special people who are attuned to piloting gundams, and, naturally, our hero is one of those people.

I wish they would get rid of the stupid movie (I never watched the Friday ones anyways) and would put Kenshin back on the air, possibly also putting another YYH on, even if its only a repeat of an earlier episode.

20. Psycho_Lugia_X

true, that's why they have Cartoon Theatre: for movies. They eat up what precious time they do have on the one day of the week they're on. Toonami has so much access to great potential shows. They can be an oasis in a cartoon desert if they just get it together.

Here's hoping they do.