Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 8 FL Masters Report

Chiapet

The week before at AL States I did so bad..on the long drive home I remembered advice Jim Roll had given me in the past.... I was convinced of the changes I was going to make in my kids decks and mine! The night before FL States..I don't test much the night before, I think I played 2 games with my daughter Destiny...I watch my son Lorenzo,Gavin,and Destiny play Just Dance 4 and watch Duck Dynasty I get only 4 hours of sleep. I figure I'll just play my daughter's deck since I spent the most time on it and Darkrai/Lasers was a deck I felt comfortable with. I didn't want to embarass myself after winning FL States last year so I sleeved it up accepting the fact that KK and Lando would give me fits but I figured I would at least have some fun. I see there is only 170 Masters this year kind of down from the year before!

W Game 1 vs Lugia EX and friends (scramble switch deck with big basics, I never knew what was going to attack me in this deck!)
W Game 2 vs Quad Sigi/(w/Tornadus EX Tech) (probably the most annoying game ever...he only benched 1 Tornadus the whole game to wipe out my sableyes...but I got just enuff KO's to win)
W Game 3 vs Accelgor/Gothitelle/Darkrai/Dusknoir (Broke thu the lock and KO'd Dusky and benched Gothita sealed the deal)
W Game 4 vs Klinklang (turn 2 Night spear with lasers online from turn 1)
W Game 5 vs Tornadus EX/Coballion EX (I win a close one....her deck was legit and actually could hang with a KK....very imprssive build)
W Game 6 vs Landorus/Tornadus/Mewtwo/Terrakion/Bouffalant (He had to juniper away 3 max potions early,and he had no choice because he was going to get benched if he had got to play ANY one of those cards he would have likely won.
W Game 7 vs Darkrai/lasers (Like any mirror it's boring and just who draws better and i do just that and he doesn't take a prize
W Game 8 vs Landorus/Garbador w/lasers/giant cape AND max potion (I'm very fortunate at the end of the game he only needs 1 prize and I need 3. I thin out my hand play N to 3 and Dark Claw laser his Giant Caped Landours with 3 energy for a KO he has another Landorus with a cape (most annoying card ever) but I night spear it twice for the win barely gettin the win)

Top Cut

Top 16 vs Jim Roll

W Landorus EX/Bouffalant/Lugia EX (This deck is FRIGHTENING , math is almost TO perfect,very creative deck
Game 1 I have so much damage on his board 170 on 1 Pokeon 150 on 2 others but I can't accelrate (2 patch 2 e-switch prized) He Plasma gales for game off the Scramble switch
Game 2 He draws dead and I don't
Game 3 I get REALLY setup ...towards the end I had 3 Darkrai out all with 3 energy

Top 8 vs Jorge Ramirez

L vs Landorus EX/Tornadus EX/Tornadus (justin Sanchez.deck)

Game 1 Hard fought game.....I'm always just slightly ahead of him .....and win a close game
Game 2 Goes down to the wire...I played N to drop him to one card. I figure the odds of him drawing one of his 4 energy left in 25 to 30 card deck left is really low. I hit him and He has 150 Damage and is asleep and poisoned going to his turn,he wakes up and on his turn draws an energy off his card fo the turn to Land judgement me for game.
Game 3 Goes to time nearly as soon as it starts which is bad when I start Sableye. I do start night spearing but he casts aside my damage like it's nothing with 3 Max potions. He plays Juniper draws Bridge,DCE,Catcher to win game.

Props:

Vincent ,,Branden ,Abdollah ,Gavin Jake ,Frank and Summer for playing with us this week and reminding me why we play/love this game DESPITE the horrible format. Thank you for inviting/making us to test with you guys lol
Curry's and their judging staff (Anthony,Aaron Warob etc) for putting on an amazing event
Jorge Ramirez for 3 of the most thrilling games I think I have ever played
Caffeine
Jim Roll (especially for the advice he gave me 2 years ago...I actually wrote it down and it helped me recover from the prev. State)
Sam Bennett for making TC in her first States! Wish I could have learned that fast)
All the people who showed me support that day

- Alex D (FL Masters)

Last edited:
It was really fun! Despite going 4-4, the time spent with you guys, Vinny, and Branden made it an amazing experience! Great job even though your bikes were ANNOYING! Just Dance and Duck Dynasty OP! Hopefully we can test soon!

~ Gavin <3

Great playing Alex and thanks for the props. Would have been great to see you make it two in a row.....but this is one of the toughest tournaments in the country to win and that is why no one has even ever one two of them in Masters. Bianchi made a good run at it this year though as well. Enjoyed our games...your deck is so solid. Now to get ready for Atlanta and find an answer to KK!!

Hey there Alex, congrats again on top 8 (I'm Conner, we played 7th round with the mirror match). i got taken down in top 8 as well to Big Basics, not fun. It was great having the chance to meet you, I enjoyed talking with a such skilled player like yourself during our game. If your going Georgia Regionals, hopefully I can have a rematch then, haha. :wink:

It was really fun! Despite going 4-4, the time spent with you guys, Vinny, and Branden made it an amazing experience! Great job even though your bikes were ANNOYING! Just Dance and Duck Dynasty OP! Hopefully we can test soon!

~ Gavin <3

It was a good time !! Man your stomach must have been a wreck the next day 9 coffee's :eek:

---------- Post added 03/25/2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Great playing Alex and thanks for the props. Would have been great to see you make it two in a row.....but this is one of the toughest tournaments in the country to win and that is why no one has even ever one two of them in Masters. Bianchi made a good run at it this year though as well. Enjoyed our games...your deck is so solid. Now to get ready for Atlanta and find an answer to KK!!

Yw man...always have had an enormous amount of respect for you. You were my first mach ever in Masters and advice you gave me that day still holds weight. I would have loved to have made it two in a ow but realistically looking at the decks left more Big basics and KK I think I had the wrong deck to get thru all that. Thanks for the compliment. I would love to go to GA myself for no real reason but just to have a good time. Hopefully I will find a way

---------- Post added 03/25/2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

Hey there Alex, congrats again on top 8 (I'm Conner, we played 7th round with the mirror match). i got taken down in top 8 as well to Big Basics, not fun. It was great having the chance to meet you, I enjoyed talking with a such skilled player like yourself during our game. If your going Georgia Regionals, hopefully I can have a rematch then, haha. :wink:

It was nice to meet you Conner! Yea those Big basics decks are quite annoying aren't they? lol...I'm afraid if we go to GA and we play it won't be mirror :/..changes are brewing :(

Hey, 8/0 is a good record. and its awesome you remembered everyone you faced. My memory was kinda foggy from that night/day. I remember a lot of darkrai Laser decks. some Big Basics decks and a Tornadus Cobalion deck.and One Rayeels deck in my matches.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks for the props man. I'm glad you had a good run after AL states.

I'm also glad you're enjoying playing again and the fire's back in you. I agree that this format is awful though.

I wish I could've given you a better game, but alas, you can only do so much with dead hands. I hope to give you a real match next time. :)

#AlexDDarkrai2gud

Nice Job going undefeated with Darkrai-EX and Top 8. Nice to perform well with Destiny's list because she also made Top 4.

-Brandon Salazar

8-0 unreal job dude way to be

Thanks man...:))))

---------- Post added 03/30/2013 at 11:42 AM ----------

Well, staying up for 5 days straight was an interesting thing. Hallucinations were a'brewin'!

LOL...I bet they were!

---------- Post added 03/30/2013 at 11:43 AM ----------

Hey, 8/0 is a good record. and its awesome you remembered everyone you faced. My memory was kinda foggy from that night/day. I remember a lot of darkrai Laser decks. some Big Basics decks and a Tornadus Cobalion deck.and One Rayeels deck in my matches.

I tried to remember what I could ....what deck were you playing? Are you from FL as well?

---------- Post added 03/30/2013 at 11:46 AM ----------

Haha, thanks for the props man. I'm glad you had a good run after AL states.

I'm also glad you're enjoying playing again and the fire's back in you. I agree that this format is awful though.

I wish I could've given you a better game, but alas, you can only do so much with dead hands. I hope to give you a real match next time. :)

#AlexDDarkrai2gud

Well at least for 1 weekend it was lol...I just don't like the Lasers I think they are bad for the game will be nice to see kids come back out to league one day around here :/

---------- Post added 03/30/2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

Nice Job going undefeated with Darkrai-EX and Top 8. Nice to perform well with Destiny's list because she also made Top 4.

-Brandon Salazar

Thanks Brandon!!

By the way nice job on your season thus far! pretty impressive! My kids and I were talking about you today...We are all positive you will get your invite soon ..you still have Regionals,Nationals and Battle Roads left!

Hey Alex! (its Sam B. btw) Thanks for a great game fifth round. It's always a treat getting to play against you. You're one of the best players I know! We'll miss you in GA!

Back