Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TopsLock *Article Included*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prize_Card

Hey everyone, Prize_Card here with another article coming your way.:biggrin: After looking through some of the scans for the upcoming set, I noticed some of the new fossil pokemon, so I decided to make a deck with them. The list is still rough so comments and suggestions are always welcome. Enjoy!

Author: Prize_Card
Date Created: 5/2/08
Name: TopsLock

Pokemon: 20

3 Kabuto MD
3 Kabutops MD
1 Kabutops PK
1 Omanyte MD
2 Omastar MD
3 Relicanth GE
2 Aerodactyle MD
2-2 Claydol
1 Omastar d (good tech, covers gg's weakness and a good lategame hitter.)

Trainers: 26

3 Rare candy
4 Dome Fossil
2 Celios
1 Fossil excavator
3 Holons fossil
3 Team Galactic's Wager
1 Old Amber
2 Helix Fossil
2 Steven's advice
1 Night maintenance
2 Warp point

Energy: 16

3 Double Rainbow energy
2 Scramble energy
7 Fighting energy
4 Water energy

~Spoilers~

Dome Fossil – HP50
Trainer

Poke-body: Rock Reaction
During your turn, when you attach a Fighting Energy from your hand to this Pokemon, search your deck for 1 Evolution card that Evolves from this Pokemon and play it on top of this Pokemon (this counts as Evolving this Pokemon). Shuffle your deck afterward. This Body doesn’t work if Energy is attached as an effect of an attack or a

Poke-power. This card can be put into play as a Colorless-type Basic Pokemon (if this card is Knocked Out, your opponent draws a prize). This card can’t be affected by Special Conditions and can’t retreat. The owner of this card can discard this card at any time during his or her turn (in this case it doesn’t count as a Knocked Out Pokemon).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabuto LV.38 – Fighting – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Dome Fossil

Poke-power: Primal Guidance
This Power can be used once during your turn. Flip a coin, if heads search your deck for 1 Dome Fossil, Helix Fossil, or Old Amber card and put it on your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[F] Shell Attack: 20 damage.

Weakness: Grass (+20)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kabutops LV.56 – Fighting – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kabuto

Poke-body: Ancient Shell
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent can’t play any Trainer cards from his or her hand.

[F][F][C] Chop Apart: 70 damage. This attack also does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon that already has damage counters on it.

Weakness: Grass (+30)
Retreat: 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helix Fossil – HP50
Trainer

Poke-body: Aqua Reaction
During your turn, when you attach a Water Energy from your hand to this Pokemon, search your deck for 1 Evolution card that Evolves from this Pokemon and play it on top of this Pokemon (this counts as Evolving this Pokemon). Shuffle your deck afterward. This Body doesn’t work if Energy is attached as an effect of an attack or a

Poke-power. This card can be put into play as a Colorless-type Basic Pokemon (if this card is Knocked Out, your opponent draws a prize). This card can’t be affected by Special Conditions and can’t retreat. The owner of this card can discard this card at any time during his or her turn (in this case it doesn’t count as a Knocked Out Pokemon).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omanyte LV.37 – Water – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Helix Fossil

Poke-power: Awaken
This Power can be used once during your turn. Flip a coin, if heads search your discard pile for 1 Helix Fossil, Dome Fossil, or Old Amber card and put it on your Bench. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[W][C] Overwave: 20 damage. This attack also does 10 damage to 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Grass (+20)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Omastar LV.53 – Water – HP110
Stage 2 – Evolves from Omanyte

Poke-power: Ancient Spiral
This Power can be used once, when you play this card from your hand to Evolve a Pokemon. De-evolve each of your opponent’s Benched Evolved Pokemon by 1 stage. The Pokemon cards that are removed from De-evolving are returned to your opponent’s hand. This Power can’t be used if you already used an Ancient Spiral Poke-power during your turn.

[W][C] Reject: 40 damage. Switch the Defending Pokemon with 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. Your opponent chooses the Benched Pokemon to switch.

Weakness: Grass (+30)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Amber – HP50
Trainer

Poke-body: Hard Amber
As long as this Pokemon is on your Bench, it takes no damage from attacks.

This card can be put into play as a Colorless-type Basic Pokemon (if this card is Knocked Out, your opponent draws a prize). This card can’t be affected by Special Conditions and can’t retreat. The owner of this card can discard this card at any time during his or her turn (in this case it doesn’t count as a Knocked Out Pokemon).

Aerodactyl LV.44 – Colorless – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Old Amber

Poke-body: Ancient Claw
Whenever one of your opponent’s Pokemon uses a

Poke-powers, after the effect resolves, place 2 damage counters on that Pokemon.

[C][C] Supersonic: 30 damage. Flip a coin, if heads the Defending Pokemon is now Confused.

Weakness: Lightning (+20)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)

~Card Review~

Now lets take a look at the cards!

Pokemon

Kabuto: His power is very useful to get more fossils on the bench to evolve, he also evolves into your main attacker.

Kabutops MD: The main attacker in the deck, its body is extremely helpful and locks your opponent from playing trainers which basicly stops them from doing anything. Its attack is also helpful for spreading dmg, and it hits for a nice amount

Kabutops PK: This kabutops is used merely as a tech because of his attacks. His body is
also some what useful.

Omanyte: His power is useful to get more fossils on the bench, and it evolves into omastar.

Omastar: His power is very useful after spreading damage with kabutops and Aerodactyl, It can get multiple knock outs for you, and can turn the tables in the result of the game, also combos nicely with TGW.

Aerodactyl: His body is very helpful spreading dmg, and it stacks. It also sets up Omastar's power and Kabutops attack.

Relicanth : This is the starter in the deck. Not only does it grab your fossils, but it can grab any trainer with fossil in its name, so that means it can grab holon's fossil and fossil

Claydol: The enabler.. From the suggestions of other people I added in claydol Because I was lacking draw.

Trainers

Rare candy: It helps you get t2 TopsLock which is basicly the point of the deck.

Dome Fossil: Its body is very helpful in getting your evolutions out, and it evolves into the main attacker.

Fossil Excavator: Gets all the pokemon you need in your deck.

Celios Network: I added these in to get claydol, and my evolutions.

Holons fossil : Very helpful, if you flip heads it helps you set up all your pokemon.

Team Galactic's Wager: This is self Explanatory, but it does combo very nicely with omastars power; for example, when you use it send all there evolutions in there hand, then wager them all into there deck.

Old Amber: Evolves into the dmg spreader, also nice because it cant get donked on the bench.

Helix Fossil: It's power helps it get its evolution out faster, and it evolves into omastar.

Steven's advice: Awesome draw cards in a lot of situations, and helps you get set-up.

Night maintenance : This is mainly for energy and when your about to deck out. It's also good when you run out of fossil excavators too.

Warp point: This combos very nicely in the deck, you can send there active to the bench then evolve to omastar, and it gets rid of cess crystal.

~Strategy~

Alright so the strategy with this deck is not to complex.. What you basicly want to do is start out with a relicanth and start setting up all your pokemon on your bench. When you get a kabutops out turn 2-4 you bring him active to lock your opponent from playing trainers.. While donking all of there pokemon, if there still able to get a set up, start setting up an Aerodactyle or 2 to spread dmg. If the game still continues whip out your omastar and give them a surprising deevolution. After that point the deck is self explanatory although there are some different ways to play it.

~Possible Techs~

Some techs I was thinking of

Omastar D (Psychic against GG, its attack is decent)

Zapados MD (Spreads dmg for kabutops)

Super Scoop Up (Pick up omastar, use him again.)

~Thanks~

On an ending note, thanks everyone for checking out my article, comments and suggestions are always welcome.. Remember this is a rough draft so comment on the deck!! Talk to you guys later.

Last edited:
Even though Fossils are still annoying as heck to use, I like this deck idea.

Maybe tech in an Omastar d? His Vengenful Spikes attack lets you hit late-game for some nice damage, since you should have plenty of Kabuto/tops and Omanyte/star in your discard by then. Also maybe consider Kabutops d > Kabutops PK in case Empoleon MD does prove that it's not overhyped.

Regis_Neo, thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I think omastar d could be a possible tech for gg too because its psychic. For kabutops d, I Don't think it will be necessary, considering it wont be able to one hit a empoleon anyway..

I think Mysterious fossil and Power Keepers Omanyte and Kabuto is a better choice. I'd go 4 Holon Fossil with that, and scrap Majestic Dawn Aerodactyl.

I think Mysterious fossil and Power Keepers Omanyte and Kabuto is a better choice. I'd go 4 Holon Fossil with that, and scrap Majestic Dawn Aerodactyl.

Yes, Power Keepers Omanyte is better, so scrap your Helix Fossils and replace them for Mysterious Fossils, which could even allow you to tech in 1 Aerodactyl d HP.

As for Magic_Umbreon's 2nd comment. Don't get rid of the Aerodactyl, he helps spread you damage for Multi KO's (as seen in your article)

My Suggestion's would be...

-2 Helix Fossil
-1 Omanyte MD
+2 Mysterious Fossil
+1 Omanyte PK

and see if finding a way to tech in 1 Aerodactyl d HP helps

Regis_Neo, thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I think omastar d could be a possible tech for gg too because its psychic. For kabutops d, I Don't think it will be necessary, considering it wont be able to one hit a empoleon anyway..

scramble lake boundary would

i am planning on building a deck along similar lines but with some key differences
is rare candy really necessary? to me this seems more like a set up deck and given the abilities of the new fossils as well as holon fossil i might max out the stage 1s and forgo the candy altogether. if you do keep the rare candy i would then add some mysterious fossils since they represent extra basics which could become either kabutops or omastar.
i would definitely run 4 holon fossil, but at the same i would run 3-4 aerodactyl and seriously consider not running old amber at all

You know, I think you can make the trainer lock even deadlier by running Ampharos SW in this. They're locked out of trainers, and get punished for supporters; it helps setting up Kabutops' second attack too. Furthermore, it allows you to run some L energy and a tech Kabutops d while you're at it. If you go with the suggestion of an Omastar d AND Aerodactyl d in there, you'd benefit from a Delta Rainbow Energy or two, too. Then you'd love Lake Boundary as well, since Omastar d can sweep G&G late-game if need be.

I've updated the list a little bit from what everyone has been suggesting. Thanks for all the comments!

PokePockets, the reason I like omastar MD is because it has better attacks, and instead of using an attack to de-evolve all your opponents pokemon, you can use a power which leaves more room for combos.

revdjweb, Rare candy is defiantly necessary in this deck, Giving you the ability to recover and get kabutops out as quick as possible for locking them.

Nevermore, my friend told me about a different version running ampharoas in it.. I like the idea I might make a separate deck of that version.

Last edited:
I've updated the list a little bit from what everyone has been suggesting. Thanks for all the comments!

PokePockets, the reason I like omastar MD is because it has better attacks, and instead of using an attack to de-evolve all your opponents pokemon, you can use a power which leaves more room for combos.

Er...i know, Omastar MD>Omastar PK

I was talking about OMANYTE

Omanyte PK>Omanyte MD because it has Influence.

He has Kabutops PK teched in already.

I definately think finding a way to get some SSU in would be good to have. Omastar's Power is essentially a 1-shot deal, and unless you're either keen on getting him KOed so you can fetch him again to evolve, you are limited to using the power only twice in a game. I'd also limit TG's Wager, since if you lose the Wager, you'll speed the deck down considerably I think. Probably could do with a bit more draw power as well.

-1 Holon Fossil
-1 Kabuto
-2 Old Amber

Holon Fossil is a double-edged sword, because a "basic" Kabutops (for example) won't be eligible for DRE or Scramble energies. However, Holon Fossil is perfect for setting up Aerodactyl, and with the voluntary failure ruling, you don't need to get any cards from your hand/deck if you don't want to.

+2 Baltoy
+2 Claydol

If you fail a Wager, you want to make sure you can recover. And with only 5 draw cards in the deck (and 3 of them Wager) you need more draw power. You may want to make room for a Celio/Roseanne to ensure you can get them out, and they're good for getting Relicanth anyway when you have a fossil start. Maybe:

-4 Fossil Excavator
+2 Celio
+2 Roseanne

Let's face it: Omanyte recycles your fossils from the discard pile and Kabuto gets out your other fossils, so Celio is all you need. Roseanne is there to ensure you get the energies/basics you need.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I love Kabutops and the fossil ability, I am planning on running:

4-3-1 Lucario / lvl.x
4-3-3 Tops
2-2 Claydol

Kabucario

One thing though, i was wondering would this build be worth running DRE's? As it is highly probably you'll get T2 Kabuto but DRE would limit the bench spread to nothing for tops and only 10 for Lucario.

I suppose T2 60dmg with DRE (after the 20 kabuto would have done on the first turn) and stopping them from rare candying, which means Pachi is ko'd T2 so is Furret, so is Kirlia and claydol.

Also would it be better to run 4 Kabutops? 4-4-4? Is rare candy needed?

Take out the dome and helix fossils for 4 mysterious fossils and PK omanyte and kabuto. Maybe throw in 1-1 Claydol.

i would suggest dropping the DRE in number down to 2-3, it makes the Kabutops do 60 and nothing to the bench. add more basic energy. 4 RC is too much for here since Kabuto and Omanyte have very nice powers. also, i would suggest trying to fit in Claydol since you seem to be lacking in draw.

You think that you are gona draw that all with 2 Steven's Advises? No way!!!!! I can't belive you....

Hey guys, thanks to the suggestions you guys suggested I made a few changes...

I added in claydol reduced a relicanth, added in celios.. Let me know what you guys think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back