Tournament Structure Ruling

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by MCRFamEx, Mar 25, 2019.

8 league13 468 60
  1. MCRFamEx

MCRFamEx New Member

https://assets.pokemon.com//assets/...les/play-pokemon-tcg-rules-and-formats-en.pdf

In reading the Play Pokemon TCG Rules and Formats I am confused on something that happened in a League Cup. I think it was just a bad ruling, but wanted to verify.

In top cut of 8 best of 3, single elimination round, a player had won game 1. During game 2 time was called. The judge ruled that if no one had taken six prizes or other win condition was met within turns, the winner of game 2 after turns would be determined by the individual with fewest prize cards.

If it was the other player (whom lost game 1), they would play a game 3 and first to take a prize would win the match.

I was very surprised to see that as I always understood if game 2 doesn't complete after turns that the winner of game 1 is the winner of the match. The judge said that in top cut scenario the rules are different. Can you please clarify?

Also is there anything in rulebook that specifically provides guidance for the Top Cut bracket advancement (beyond 9.3 section of rules)? Another event had another issue of proper starting pairings for top cut matches as Tom wasn't providing these pairings due to error in entering event details. I couldn't find rules to guide for manually bracketing opponents following completion of Swiss rounds either.

Thanks!

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

These questions are somewhat outside the scope of the forum, but the first question does have a direct and clear answer from the Document you link to and the second also has one correct answer, so...

There are differences between Swiss Rounds and Top Cut Single Elimination.
    The section for Top Cut is 9.2.3

And for Game 2, specifically:

Game 2

• If the last turn ends during game 2, the winner of game 1 wins the match.
    • If time is called after the game 2 winner has been determined but before the starting player for game 3 has been determined, the match results in a tie.
    So, it's pretty clear, that if game 2 was unresolved, Player 1 should have been the winner.
    Top 8 Bracketing is pretty simple. The highest ranking players play the lowest ranking players, selecting until you meet in the middle.
    For the first round:
    1 v 8 = A
    2 v 7 = B
    3 v 6 = C
    4 v 5 = D

For the next round:
    A v D
    B v C
    You don't want the top 2 seeds facing each other in the second round,

And the final round, you only have two left.

Note: Round 2 corrected. Thanks Bullados.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Otaku likes this.