Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Trainer's Choice - Pidgeot

ultimatedra

[GAL=53258]Pidgeot[/GAL]

By: Vaporeon​

"This Pokémon flies at Mach 2 speed, seeking prey. Its large talons are feared as wicked weapons."
-Pokemon Yellow Pokedex Entry

"Capable of flying incredibly quickly. In full flight, by the time its flapping is heard, it is long gone."
-Pokemon Stadium 1 Pokedex Entry

"Its well-developed chest muscles make it strong enough to whip up a gusty windstorm with just a few flaps. "
-Pokemon Gold Pokedex Entry

"Its outstanding vision allows it to spot splashing Magikarp, even while flying at 3,300 feet."
-Pokemon Crystal Pokedex Entry

"It spreads its gorgeous wings widely to intimidate enemies. It races through the skies at Mach-2 speed."
-Pokemon Fire Red Pokedex Entry

"By flapping its wings with all its might, Pidgeot can make a gust of wind capable of bending tall trees."
-Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum Pokedex Entry

"Its well-developed chest muscles make it strong enough to whip up a gusty windstorm with just a few flaps."
-Pokemon Heart Gold Pokedex Entry

"It spreads its beautiful wings wide to frighten its enemies. It can fly at Mach 2 speed."
-Pokemon Soul Silver Pokedex Entry

"By flapping its wings with all its might, Pidgeot can make a gust of wind capable of bending tall trees."
-Pokemon Black/2 and White/2 Pokedex Entry​

I know what you're saying and that's "why so many entries". Well, they are needed for a complete review of Pidgeot this time around. I picked these Pokedex entries because they are very consistent, going all the way back to Pokemon Red. if you look at these, Pidgeot is made out to be a Military Weapon of War.

The most noticeable one is the fact that Pidgeot can fly at Mach 2 speeds. That means Pidgeot can fly twice the Speed of Sound. Pidgeot can fly just as fast as a fighter jet. Flying at Super Sonic speeds is something they can do. The body has to go under extreme pressures to not implode on itself. That would also mean they the body of a Pidgeot was also built to withstand these high speeds and pressures. keep in mind that the Pidgey species is a very common Pokemon seen throughout the world of Pokemon and the Professor and Scientist have personally observed Pidgeot displaying these thing.

Mach 2 speeds is at 1522.4141 mph for those who don't know. Pidgeot is probably the fastest, if not one of the fastest around in the air and can reach these speeds quite fast. They even go further by saying, by the time you hear its wings flap, its already gone, stating that it already broke the Sound Barrier so on a good day, you'll never know if it were a Pidgeot or a Jet. That's pretty cool right?

On the next thing, Pidgeot are strong enough to bend tall trees just by flapping their wings. I'm still not sure why they would need to do this. Maybe they do it during mating season to show their strength. This behavior was noted but not much linked to it. We'll say a tree of 379.46 ft which is the tallest tree we know of so far. Pidgeot would be able to bend that tree. now I'm not sure how fast the wind would have to be blowing to bend it but a Pidgeot could bend that. That is a fact consistent with all it's entries.

Now, for the last thing I want to note is it's Pokemon Crystal entry. It says it can see a splashing Magikarp while flying at 3,300 feet. That would mean a Pidgeot would have no issues in seeing under any conditions which is evident of its in-game ability Keen Eyes that makes it where its accuracy can't be reduced. The ability should also be able to allow it to see through and evasion mod the opponent has set up but it does not.

According to this, once a Pidgeot has a target on you, that's it. you're done. With everything else I said before. Pidgeot is the perfect weapon. It would see you and come in to take you out before you even realized what happened. Life would just end.

Well, Pidgeot's in-game comparison fails completely to what people have observed them doing.

Base Stats:

HP: 83
Attack: 80
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 70
Speed: 91

Wow, Pidgeot seems to be really underpowered in the game. Even the game makes it out to be this force to be reckon with. While Pidgeot in game may not be as strong as the game made it out to be, they can still be pretty fearsome in battle. With all my time using them, if you train them right, they will be good at what they do. Pidgeot's stats are really sub-par. Pidgeot is one of the better Normal-Flying types in term of balance. They make great tanks and walls as well a decent physical and special sweepers.

First we'll talk about their abilities.

Ability One- Keen Eye

Keen Eyes is a ability that prevents the user's accuracy from being reduced. This is not a recommended for Pidgeot because the ability is pretty bad during battles. It makes Sand Attack useless which no one really uses because Double Team is a much better attack and it prevents the secondary effects of attacks like Muddy Water and Mud Slap. If you want to use a bird, just avoid this ability if you can. Take it from an expert.

Now, Keen Eyes would be a really good ability if the ability made attacks land even if the target is under a +6 Double Team and hit Pokemon like Garchomp in a Sandstorm or Glaceon or Articuno in the Hail. Sadly, because the ability does not do that, its pretty useless. Now, I will note that the ability does reduce the Encounter Rate by 50% if the Pokemon with the ability is first in the party. This only works on Pokemon a lower level the the Pokemon with the ability.

Ability Two- Tangled Feet

This is my personal favorite ability for my Pidgeots. What this ability does is if Pidgeot is confused, it gets a 20 percent Evasion boost. While the ability is not that great, it does help save you sometimes. It has won me a few games. Reason for this ability is some players do use Confuse Ray and Swagger so that makes Pidgeot a good switch in. The real kicker is the risk versus reward factor. 50% of the time you attack yourself. On average, your opponents hits you 80% of the time so the trade off may not be that great. Sadly, this is the best ability Pidgeot has I'd say. It's the most useful for when it goes off though.

Hidden/Dream World Ability (Ability Three)- Big Pecks

This ability prevents the defense from being lowered of the Pokemon with this ability. That's it. While that may be good, they thing is attacks the lower defense are normally not used. On top of that, bird Pokemon are extremely fragile and can't take many hits anyway. Maybe use this ability of a Pokemon like Mandibuzz or other Pokemon with high defense stats but generally they have a better ability.

I'd say this is also a ability to avoid as well.

Over all, Pidgeot has pretty bad abilities with Tangled Feet being the most useful. Sure they all can be useful but those other abilities are on the wrong Pokemon. Maybe if it got Overcoat or Intimidate as most birds in real life can endure the elements and all Raptors are normally feared. Pidgeot got the raw end of the deal here.

Here, I'll list a few ways of using Pidgeot.

[GAL=53257]Pidgeot[/GAL]

Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
Nature: Jolly (- Special Attack, + Speed)
Ability: Tangled Feet
EV’s: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Brave Bird (EGG MOVE)
-Faint Attack/Pursuit (BOTH EGG MOVE)
-U-Turn
-Giga Impact/Return

This is a set I use on one my Pidgeots. She is banded so my set focuses on just raw power using the Jolly nature to make sure I can out speed a few things. One this to keep in mind. This set is REALLY hard to pull of. It takes a HUGE breeding tree to get both Brave Bird AND Faint Attack on a Pidgey. You'll be putting a lot of time into it.

Most players tend to not use Faint Attack because Brave Bird hits harder most of the time so its really up to you. If you choose to replace it, then Return is your best bet or you can have some fun and replace it with Pursuit so steal a kill on your opponent's weaken Pokemon trying to switch out, catering to Pidgeot's Raptor side. Pursuit is kind of recommended here because if you know they are going to switch then Pursuit's based power is doubled. Really, that move slot can be used in a number of fun way. As for U-Turn. It's a pretty standard move on Physical attacking birds. You can attack a slower target and switch out. It's really useful. Also, because your banded, you can hit Tyranitar for almost 50 percent or more and hit Umbreons hard as well.

Giga Impact is my end all attack. If you're going down, you may as well take something with you or leave a dent in it. This is the only reason I have this attack. Pidgeot makes up for its low attack by using powerful attacks. You also get stab so you'll be doing more damage. The base damage goes from 150 to 225. If you choose to not use it, then go with another attack if you like but I prefer to have that powerful attack.

This Pidgeot’s Advantages

This Pidgeot can hit a few types pretty hard and leave a dent in others. Like most other flyers, Pidgeot gets to abuse a STAB Brave Bird. With, this set, you're just not limited to what flyers normally are limited to, which is just flying and normal type attacks. Pidgeot will be faster then most Pokemon you switch them into so you'll be able to use hit them hard or get some damage in with U-Turn to setup another Pokemon or wall an attack. If you opt to use Pursuit over Faint Attack, then you'll be able to take out those weaken Pokemon and leaving your opponent surprised because they'll have to watch their switches against your Pidgeot, allowing you to set traps for your opponent. You'll be able to also scout your opponents team when played right. U-turn and Pursuit can be a pretty deadly combo if used right or rather the ultimate troll set.

With the Choice band, your opponent will wish they had faster Pokemon because this Pidgeot will give your opponent trouble.

This Pidgeot’s Disadvantages

Like most of the other flyers, Pidgeot is very fragile so any Pokemon faster then it will take it down. On top of that, they are very hard to switch in properly because of their poor defense stat. You'll mainly be using it to avoid Earthquakes and that's about it. This is not only true for Pidgeot but other birds as well, though some fair better like Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres.

If you choose to go with the Choice Banded set, then the switch game becomes harder. You'll only use it to attack think you know it can take down. Though you can take a hit from somethings, those Pokemon faster then you will also be more powerful. Because of this, I find myself using Giga Impact most of the time trying to get a kill but doing them allows your opponent setup time during Pidgeot's Recharging turn. This can give your opponent the game if you're careless with the attack. Though the risk may be worth it so keep that in mind. To really use this Pidgeot to its fullest, you'll need to fight it around Pokemon in its skill level or use a speed control team. Because Pidgeot us a flying type, Stealth Rocks hurt it a lot when you switch in, so you lose that freedom and have to plan your switches carefully. Those are really the only downfalls that can hurt this Pidgeot.

For the next set, I'll be reviewing a special attacking one.

[GAL=53257]Pidgeot[/GAL]

Item: Choice Specs/Life Orb
Nature: Timid (- Attack, + Speed)
EV’s: 6 HP, 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
-Air Slash/Hurricane
-Heatwave (MOVE TUTOR)
-Hidden Power Ground (RECOMMENDED)
-Hyper Beam

The goal of this set is type hitting. This Pidgeot is used to surprise your opponent by hitting them with things they won't see coming. On my Pidgeot I use Hurricane over Air Slash because I want to hit harder. This is purely up to preference. You can hit harder and confuse your opponent or flinch them out. Heatwave is needed so you won't get walled by things like Scizor and other steel types. You can also hit a few common ones with 4 time weakness damage.

Hidden Power Ground is almost needed on bird Pokemon that's not Zapdos. This allows you to take down Magnezones in a hit. Hidden Power Ground is just good for birds because it can give them a edge against, Rock, Steel and Fire Types. What makes it better is most of those types have poor Special Defense stats. You'll also suprise Steel and Rock dual type. Plus, you get to see the look on your opponents face when you take down their Aggron down in one hit with a Pidgeot.

Hyper Beam, much like Giga Impact is just a beat stick attack. It's there when the Pidgeot has enough damage for when Life Orb would take it down. Just blast them in the face with a Hyper Beam.

You really can go wrong with this set. Air Slash and Hurricane gives you the attacking freedom you want for the most part. You can't go wrong with ether attack. Pidgeot has a very wide Special Attack movepool so you can change this one up to your liking. Having access to HP Ground and Heatwave mean you won't be getting walled by your attacking threats because you'll be able to handle and most of the time you'll out speed them. This Pidgeot also pairs well with any Pokemon that can use the attack 'Knock Off' which discards your opponents Pokemon being attacked item. The reason this is useful because you'll get rid of damage reducing berries and annoying items like Eviolite. I like this Pidgeot the best because of it unpredictability.

You also have your choice of ether Choice Specs and Life Orb. I tend to favor Life Orb more because I like the flexibility of using my attacks, which makes this set excel. You can even go try Expert Belt if you like. Expert Belt increases the damage of Super Effective damage. Reason why is this Pidgeot will be hitting for Weakness damage most of the time. I have not tested this but its a valid option. I favor the special attacking one over the physical attacking one.

Like I said before, Pidgeot is not the faster Pokemon around pushing a speed stat of 309 which can be bested by other attackers. Pidgeot is a bird and all the birds that are not legendary tend to be good at one thing. Pidgeot is the most underpowered one next to Noctowl. Even Unfezant is not a raptor but it still pushed a based attack stat of 105, something Pidgeot should have. Because you're using a bird, you lack the freedom of switching in and out of battle. This becomes a death wish once your opponent has Stealth Rocks set up on your field. Every time you switch in your Pidgeot, you'll lose 25 percent of your HP. That pretty much a death sentence if you can't get rid of Stealth Rocks. If you choose to go with Choice Specs, this Pidgeot becomes really hard to use. In many of my games with the specs set, I wish I did not have them set. There were many KOs I could not take because I was locked into Air Slash while attacking into a steel type when I could have used Heatwave. Choice specs is a good item to have but not for this Pidgeot in my opinion. It makes attacks powerful but this set needs to hit for weakness.

Another thing is your STAB attacks have a chance to miss. You'll almost never use Hyper Beam unless you want a big finish so you'll be using Air Slash and Hurricane most of the time. Those attacks can miss. Even Heatwave can miss so this is a pretty high risk Pidgeot. You get type coverage here with a cost. Still don't count this Pidgeot out. This set shows the specialized side of Pidgeot and can throw your opponent for a loop. You place yourself at a disadvantage by using Choice Specs because you limit yourself to just one move and that can cost you.

If they attacking type is not for you, then we can explore Pidgeot defensive side and nature.

[GAL=53257]Pidgeot[/GAL]

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish (- Special Attack, + Defense)
EV’s: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 Special Defense
-Roost
-Protect/Toxic
-Feather Dance
-Return

This Pidgeot is for walling physical attackers. This Pidgeot set is to be used on a well balanced team. I consider this Pidgeot a little more on the advance side because this is a hard set to use right. You can make a few switch in with this Pokemon. Roost helps Pidgeot longevity in battle and this is a great thing with Pidgeot's defensive nature. If you can predict a switch, you can hit what ever Pokemon switching into the battle field with Toxic or a Feather Dance, which lowers they Attack stat,not Special Attack, of the target by 2 levels, which technically gives Pidgeot a 200 percent Defense boost. This with great prediction skills means you'll be able to cripple a Pokemon. You can choose to run toxic if you want as well but I feel this Pidgeot does great on a poison based team. This way you can cripple physical attacks.

For the last attack spot, I opted to use Return here in this spot because Brave Bird is never needed on a defensive set. Reason for that is you'll want to keep your HP and attacks that hit with recoil makes Pidgeot's longevity a little shorter. Return is this Pidgeot's strongest attack. It reaches 153 based power due to STAB so you'll be doing a lot of damage during your attacking turn, keeping the pressure on while they lose HP to poison.

On a better note, I'd say run Protect over Toxic because you'll want to have a turn to stall your opponent to get more Toxic damage. Toxic is a great move to have, but like I said before, this Pidgeot works better on a poison based team so your team would need to carry a few Pokemon with Toxic and Toxic Spikes as well as a Rapid Spin blocker to keep the spikes up.

Well, this Pidgeot excels at supporting its team. Though it won't outspeed much, but on the right team, this Pokemon can be a pretty effective wall. This Pidgeot works really well on poison and speed control team. You'll be able to effectively wall any physical attacker.\

This Pidgeot's biggest asset is Protect and Feather Dance. You're opponent would have a hard time getting around those two moves and with Roost and Leftovers, you'll be in the fight for a long time. If Pidgeot could have a fifth move, Whirlwind would break this set because if your opponent has any Pokemon that can boost stats, slamming them with a Whirlwind will make them cringe. The Key to this Pidgeot is using it with other walls like Blissey and support attackers like Jolteon so you can take the Thunder type attack and finish your opponent with fast sweepers.

This Pidgeot makes a great addition to the team. It's very effective in 3 on 3 battles and 6 on 6 as well. This set may even work well on a Rotation battle but it is untested. If you wish to test, fell free to let us know.

Taunt. That move right there. This move cripples this Pidgeot and maybe the whole team. Taunt makes it to where you can only use attacking move. You can'y use Status moves which is a third of this Pidgeot's moveset. This will force you to switch, which would allow your opponent a free setup move. If.

You'll need to beware of Pokemon with this move or who can learn it like Tournadus, Thundurus, Weavile etc. Another huge thing to keep in mind is that this Pidgeot is most effective when used with a that can tank and respond. You'll also need to be on your wits as well. Once you follow the same patterns, you're opponent will pick up with it and more then likely counter it.

For the last thing, any Rock, Ice or Thunder physical attacker will get through Pidgeot's defensive bulk and tear its wall down. While Thunder and Ice physical attacks are not commonly used, Rock is very common so you'll have to play smart against them. Even a -4 Attack Rock type Pokemon Using a STAB Stone Edge or Head Smash will still hit Pidgeot for about 70 to 95 percent damage. its a fight Pidgeot should not endure if its possible. This Pidgeot set depends on a very solid team because it will not work on a random team.

For my last set, we can talk about a special wall or tank Pidgeot.

[GAL=53257]Pidgeot[/GAL]

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful (- Special Attack, + Special Defense)
EV’s: 252 HP, 252 Special Defense, 6 Defense
-Roost
-Protect/Toxic
-Captivate(GEN 4 MOVE)
-Return

Well, this set is almost like the physical wall Pidgeot. The physical Pidgeot set is much better. The big thing is this Pidgeot MUST be female. Reason why is the move Captivate lowers the Special Attack of both opposing Pokemon of the opposite gender. I tend to use only female Pokemon because most Pokemon players use ARE male. Some Pokemon have a gender ratio of 87.5 or being male. These Pokemon are the starters of each game, the Eeveelutions, fossil Pokemon and Zoura and Zororak.

Some Pokemon Pokemon are only male so this helps a bit as well. This Pidgeot can not be male.

Well, this Pidgeot plays like the physical defense set. This Pidgeot is good at hitting male Pokemon where it hurts but that's about it.

I'd hate to say it but there are other Pokemon that play the role of special defense tank better. Pokemon like Articuno, Latias, Cresselia, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Blissey or even Zapdos can take special attacks far better.

Also to note, Thunder and Ice type attacks are commonly used a special attack, which would easily do at least 60 percent on the low end by weaker attackers and will fall to Pokemon like Zapdos and others. The other thing is this Pidgeot depends on the Pokemon being male or of the opposite gender. This is a factor that can not be risked in a battle because you'll never know the gender of your opponents Pokemon.

I'd say don't use Pidgeot as a special wall because it not very effective.

Well, thanks for reading my complete review of Pidgeot and how to use them. While Pidgeot may not be the strongest Pokemon in the game, they do have their uses. If you prefer to use them over any other bird, then I hope this helped you out. Each bird Pokemon are unique in their own way. Don't count them out.

============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Here is some Trivia

Prior to Generation IV, Pidgeot and its evolutionary line were the only Pokémon capable of learning FeatherDance through leveling up.

Pidgeot originally had an extra "t" in its name, but it was dropped.

Pidgeot’s tail feathers were colored red and yellow prior to Generation III. This can be observed in its Generation I artwork and Generation II sprites. From Generation III onwards they are only colored red.

Pidgeot is the only Pokémon with a base stat total of 469.

Pidgeot and its evolutionary line are the only Normal-type Pokémon to learn Twister by leveling up. They were the only ones to even be capable of knowing it before Platinum.

Pidgeot's Origin

Despite its name, its appearance and behavior do not resemble a pigeon so much as that of a bird of prey, particularly an eagle, osprey or a falcon. In particular, its Shiny form may be referencing a Golden Eagle. Its eye markings strongly resemble the Sun/Sky gods of Egyptian mythology; Ra and Horus.

Pidgeot and Pigeot are combinations of a pigeon and jet (referring to its great speeds).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost type Pokemon really enjoy trying to take out Normal/Flying Pokemon. It does depend on the move set the Ghost type has, but STAB ghost attacks don't bother this bird.
I used Staraptor to take on Giratina in Platnium version. I used Pidgeot as a staple in a good portion of the games for Red/Blue, Fire red/leafgreen, and sometimes it was my transfer over "fly" Pokemon to be that HM slave.

I think that Pidgoet get's a bonus for triple battles, as it can attack any opposing Pokemon which is good.
Might want to consider using this guy for things like this as triple battles are implemented a bit more in BW2.

I never considered using Pidgeot for competitive play, but it does look as if it can hold it's own if played and rasied right.

This bird does hold a small soft spot for what it could provide back in the day, I hope that it gets more support later on down the road for me personally.

Good review, and I look forward to the next review you have lined up.

Back