Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tropical Mega Battle 3!

Psychoflood

Come to the third Tropical Mega Battle hosted this year at Dark Tower Games in Denville, New Jersey! Come play the Pokemon TCG in a sanctioned tournament to make sure your deck is ready for regionals! Play against some of the top players in the world including 4th Masters at Worlds, Jimmy O'Brien and Top8 Masters at Worlds, Frank Diaz! Enjoy a day of tropical themes, intense battles and exotic prizes!

WHERE/WHEN/WHO/WHAT:

Dark Tower Games, Denville, NJ
Saturday April 4th. Registration at 11:00am
Everyone is invited
Modified/Constructed
No age groups
$15 entry fee.

PRIZES:
Prizes are still being decided upon, but plans are in motion to get one of those clear trophys (like pokemon gives out) except for it to just be a giant pineapple. Other prizes include
-Packs
-Promos
-Special Edition Pokemon Tropical Plush toys
-TMB Shirts
-Dice
-And many more!

SHIRTS:
There will be shirts made for the Tropical Mega Battle 3 which will have on the front the outline of a pineapple center of the chest with the number 3 inside of the pineapple, and 2009 below the logo. For sale at the venue, also a staff/judge version of the shirt for volunteers and judges.

DICE:
There will be special dice made for the TMB3 which will feature the TMB3 logo instead of the 1 on orange dice

This event is already attracting players well known in the TCG through its facebook page.

This tournament is still in the final stages of planning and details are being smoothed out, but I've made this post in order to get the word out early (for those planning to make travel arrangements.)
Don't miss this once in a lifetime event to play with famous players and enjoy participating in the third Tropical Mega Battle!
Any and all questions can be sent to either myself [email protected], or the store owner at [email protected]
Keep looking at this thread for new developments and information!

-John Schreiner

Last edited:
Just a comment, I don't see how this can be the Tropical Mega Battle if it's being hosted in New Jersey. :biggrin:

The 2nd one was in NJ too and no one complained. :tongue:
Just to note, at the last TMB, there was a three way tie for second place between Jason, Jimmy and myself, just a month or two before we took 1st, 4th, and top8 at worlds 08. This was, and will be, one of the most competitive events of the year.

TMB? If its in New Jersey, surely the T stands for Trashfilled, since its far from tropical!

Ok, ok, I had to play with the stereotype. I've been to NJ for the 2nd STS 2001, at the Meadowlands, and it was nice. Its about a 9 hour drive for me to get there, but if I can get a crew together to split gas and hotels and such, I might make it out there. Are you guys looking at doing cash prizes for this event as well to justify the 15 dollar entry fee? I'd suggest it. You need some incentive to lure out all of those Regionals decks ;) ( I ASSUME this is right before Regionals? )

To address some concerns, answer some questions:

The last TMB was slightly underground, only a select few players were invited/attended, so we expect the turnout for this one to be nothing like it. This time we're looking for a much larger crowd, to try and make it a large turnout in order to take advantage of all of these competetive players being in the same place at the same time.

Also, although we won't be in a tropical location, part of the fun of this event is the atmosphere and attire. The store will be dressed up to support the "tropical" theme, and we hope the competetors will as well. Hawaiian shirts are highly suggested!

Also, yes. People who don't live in jersey have been to the TMB in the past, especially the last one where Jason Klaczynski (world champ 05/08) came to compete all the way from chicago. Anyone who wants to come is more than welcome, this time there are no restrictions on invitations.

Last edited:
Hula dancers? Please? No, I won't even be greedy. Hula dancer? Like I'd be ok with just one. But if this turns out to be Gino in a grass skirt, I want my entry fee back.

I don't know about hula dancers..

but i do know PokePop will be there judging for us! Thanks to PokePop for his time and we hope that more of you sign up or express interest whether there will be hula dancers or not :D

The 2nd one was in NJ too and no one complained. :tongue:
Just to note, at the last TMB, there was a three way tie for second place between Jason, Jimmy and myself, just a month or two before we took 1st, 4th, and top8 at worlds 08. This was, and will be, one of the most competitive events of the year.

No, that wasn't a TMB, it was 6 players including Jason playing a tournament that was decided after it happened to be the TMB II. I think while have a tournament is great, calling it TMB III is dumb IMO and I can say so since I am from NJ and I wasn't even included in the text about good players who are from here. :frown:

Drew

The 2nd tropical mega battle had 8 players, 4 of which competed in worlds 08. It was named the Tropical Mega Battle early on, I think before Jason was even involved. We had tropical decorations and food and clothing at the event. We decided upon a round robin structure (bad idea) at the event.

Yes it was low key, and somewhat spur of the moment, but it was a great time.

I’m sorry you’re offended. I never listed all of the good players from around here, and I wasn’t trying to offend you. Hopefully you can make it to the event this year.

*important update!*

Drew, I'm sorry that you weren't listed, but thats because you haven't said you are coming yet. I simply listed those good players from the area who already RSVP'd a yes. Seeing as we haven't heard from you, you weren't on the list. Please don't mock our tournament; I'm sorry if you felt offended, i hope you can come. If you check your facebook, you were sent one of the first invitations.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

On a much lighter note, the Tropical Mega Battle 3 logo/shirt has seen its first prototype!! (the real one won't be made in my room with Acrylic Paint, promise =P)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3476/3231448577_8f0909e9d7.jpg?v=0

Last edited:
I'll do what I can to help Psychoflood in making sure the event runs smoothly. Since this event is FOR THE PLAYERS, I'll be willing to look into special requests to make this event a success, which may or may not include getting my friends to dress up as hula dancers.

Also, Diaz, if you recall (obviously you don't), I was announced as the 2008 Tropical Mega Battle champion, after going undefeated the whole day, making me the 22nd-time champion of Hawaii, NJ.

Back