TV Reporter

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by swanton1717, Apr 18, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. swanton1717

swanton1717 Member

Im just curious I am seeing a lot of TV Reporter in decks that are non Blaziken. Is there a reason for this?..I dont think its really any better then like Professor Birch or Copycat. It may be because its easier to get..

What are your opinions?

~Colin

2. duanojo

duanojo New Member

The TVR and Oracle combo is pretty nice; you can get both cards in one turn instead of just the one. That might be it.

3. dkates

dkates New Member

Um, you can't actually do that, duanojo. I think the reason TV Reporter is so popular is that its results are guaranteed, like Oak's Research's are. With Birch, it depends on your hand. With Copycat, it depends on your opponent's hand. With Oak's Research, you shuffle away your hand. But TV Reporter doesn't shuffle the deck and always gets you three cards. And you can choose what card you get rid of after you draw the cards, unlike Bill's Maintenance.

4. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

TV Reporter is great in any deck really. You draw 3 and then discard one card from your hand. The only thing better than that is bill's maintenance but see theres a drawback there, you have to shuffle a card into your deck BEFORE you draw 3. So if you don't want to shuffle a card, you cannot draw. But with TV reporter, you draw first then discard, so you really don't have to discard a card from your hand, just from the cards you draw.

5. registeel

registeel New Member

Yeah TV Reporter usally works better than Birch cause alot of decks have some good Draw power in there deck(TV Reporter) and you don't even have to have alot, I mean having 3 cards in ur hand uhhh that might be kinda Rare I donno and you will get to draw 3 but you will usally have more than 3 cards in ur hand so you probably get hardly any cards at all, if any cards if any. This is just a cool card and it works in pretty much all deck it even combos in some decks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  6. duanojo

duanojo New Member

What I meant was to do something like this. First turn: use oracle to get, let's say, a stage two and a Rare Candy on top of your deck. Second turn: Draw your stage two and play TV Reporter to get the Rare Candy and then another two cards. That's how this can be especially helpful.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  7. JasonthePwnda

JasonthePwnda New Member

shuffling a card back in your deck can suck, because if you hated it then you'll prolly hate it when you redraw it. like th four dunsparces everyone puts in their decks for one attack, if it manages to be drawn first turn. it also makes people feel happier, reminiscent from the gardy days, that they can discard junk that would otherwise be stuck in hteor hands. forever.

8. Physics Squirrel

Physics Squirrel Active Member

Sometimes, like in the case of Magneton (and Blaziken) you can use the card you discardeven though it's in the discard pile.

9. Wren5

Wren5 New Member

When you look at it, yeah, it only adds 1 card to your hand size, but still ... Most hands have some junk in them anyway. E-on is filled with stuff that seems utterly useless if you're holding a professor oak and professor elm in the other hand. I mean really, what's left that lets you draw cards?

POR, Copycat, TV Reporter, Bill's Maitenance, Underground Expedition, Mary's Impulse ... I think that's it for just cards that just increase your hand size and aren't limited to certain cards.

10. plaidlesspez

plaidlesspez New Member

It helps thinning your deck out so you don't draw cards you don't need. Dunsparce is good to discard or if one card in your deck is useless against the deck you're playing, discard it. Also, it isn't dependent on anything which is good.

11. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Birch usually gets 3 cards when at the right time but it also has times where it gets you 1 or 0. Copycat I wouldn't compare but its inconsistant and would be more suitable to compare to POR.
    TV Reporter is just a consistant draw for 3. Almost every deck has a Sparce or something to discard. Shards when not playing against BR. Also works great with Magneton as well as Blaziken. I rarely have to worry about the discard. Its the best draw w/out shuffle IMO. The Oracle combo is good too.

12. Imperial

Imperial New Member

tv reporter is just plain good! every deck needs draw power!

13. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Personally, I don't like it. I find it to be somewhat inconsistant (mostly due to my horrendous topdecking luck) and I just don't like discarding any cards unless it helps my deck's strategy (which is basically Blaze and nothing else). Also, I have found that, since so many people play Delcatty right now, I can very easily Copycat for 7 cards or more. POR is just a deck staple, I won't take that out of my decks until it's out of the format.

14. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

How is it inconsistant? Draw 3 cards, discard 1. Will you sometimes have to discard something vital? Yeah. What makes it work well is that most players have cards that are specifically early game or TecH that can be chucked once they know what they are facing.

15. bullados

again, I have horrible topdecking luck. I'll use a TV Reporter and get 2 energies and an evolution that I can't use any time in the forseeable future, or I'll get 3 Basics when my bench is full. Stuff like that. I don't like TV Reporter for that reason. I've found Copycat to be much more effective simply because there are so many people right now USING TV Reporter and Delcatty in their decks that I can very easily get a 7 card Copycat or more.

16. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Umm, Bull, Copycat is probably one of the worst examples to use: against Firestarter Decks and Swampert/Suicune ex Decks: both abuse Delcatty, and Suicune sends Energy to the hand. Almost everything else I encounter has a handsize, on average, of roughly 3-5 cards. Simply put, it sounds like your results are indeed luck based (which means we shouldn't go by them), or maybe your deck ratios are out of whack, or maybe you just need to try TV Reporter again: how many games did you use it? How many times does Copycat really work that well? A lot of players tend to remember certain cads certain ways. Thats why I save most of my on-line matches: I found that the coin wasn't favoring either player: that was a cop out. Similarly, I realized that some flippier cards fail a lot more than I realized, and so forth. You are a skilled player, but your results are inconsistent with my experience. So, as I stated, that means either it really is all luck, and thus either one or both of our experiences should no be used as a basis for other players, or maybe your decks need tweaking: some of the best players tend to accumulate errors afterall while. I know my decks do (though I am far from the best player).

17. bullados

I ran 3 TV Rep in a Gardy deck in 3 seperate tournaments. Each game, I used it at least twice. Ya wanna know how many times I got a good draw off of TV Rep? about 3.

In 3 seperate tournaments, using the exact same Gardy deck, replacing the 3 TV Rep with 3 Copycat, I averaged about 2 Copycats a game, each Copycat getting me around 5-7 or more cards. There was only one time throughout those weekends that Copycat completely failed me.

Don't go around telling ME how to play MY decks. I post my opinions, you can listen to them or not.

18. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

And I reiterate, it's either the deck, or you indeed have horrendous luck. Either may make your experience with TV Reporter not apply to the game in general. Of course, we never really defined a "good draw". Is that one card that is really useful, or a couple that can be used to some benefit, etc?

Against what decks? I think I have even stated this to you repeatedly: in my circle, most decks maintain a hand size on average of 3-4 cards. THe highest I think is 13, which happened once, and the lowest is 0, which happens probably ever 5 games, and can last several turns. Note that the both were from games that were won by that player. I ran Copycat for a long time. I dropped in when I went about fifteen games with it drawing four cards a lot-"failing". Your experiences are your experiences-if they differ significantly from the majority, I personally want to know why. That way I can determine if I have merely been the recipient of many happy flukes (in this case of TV Reporter working well for me), or of many unhappy accidents (where that which should be relaible failed). Also note that my circle is more interested in building decks other than Firestarter, which indeed could be skewing my results.

I suggested your deck might need tweaking, or that I (and the others who favor TV Reporter) may be the recepients of good luck giving us erroneous results, or that your experiences might suffer the same probability problems. I guess the first comment is telling you how to play: you know, being smart and asking yourself when something works only for a minority, is that minority the good players or the lucky players. If you have already done this, and come to the conclusion is the good players, then I assume you will run your deck as you see fit. I tried to be polite when I brought this up. As I stated, sometimes even the best of players will experience bursts of luck, or experience a selective memory. In my Developlemental Psych class, we learned that often 50% of a memory is inaccurate or just plain wrong. I keep draggin it up that I save my on-line games, because I can then go through and see "Oh, yeah, I lost this one where I thought I smoked my opponent" or "Oh, I did beat this person and their superstrong archetype deck". For several months I swore by Gambler (yeah, that means for Unlimited decks) because I had several tournaments where I was probably getting teh desired result 70-80% of the time (I used it for draw and deck replenishment). Even when I got what I didn't want, I'd usually end up going against the odds and drawing the exact card I needed to win from the "failure".

I am sorry I offended you Bullados.

19. bullados

Delcatty is played in about 90% of the decks in this area. Copycat takes advantage of that rampant Delcatty use.

It's useless to go over my reasons not to have TV Reporter in anything other than M2X and Blaze, you already know them.

20. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

Yeah its like a wait a turn Energy Draw. If you are holding a TV Reporter and Oracle. 1st Play Oracle then on your next turn play the Reporter. You are topdecking the 1st card (unless of course you get Shamaned) then you are drawing 3 more cards. It is a decent drawing combo if you arent playing Delcatty in any deck.