Underground Lake / Maxie & Archie

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by mewsmom, Apr 21, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mewsmom

mewsmom New Member

Stadium Card States-

Once during each player's turn, that player may put an Omanyte or a Kabuto card from his or her discard pile onto his or her bench. (Cards put on the Bench this way are considered Basic Pokemon.)

My question is-

I put an Omanyte or Kabuto onto my bench (not 1st turn of course, but anytime after) Can I evolve them into Omastar or Kabutops that same turn of using Underground Lake???

IMHO opinion I say yes, because the Pokemon is not being played from Hand and basic evolution rules don't apply because it's being put onto bench from a trainer ability card from my discard pile.

Question also pertains to Maxie and Archie, can that pokemon be evolved into next stage same turn Maxie / Archie is being played???

thanks in advance

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Let's break this into parts:

Stadium Card States-

Once during each player's turn, that player may put an Omanyte or a Kabuto card from his or her discard pile onto his or her bench. (Cards put on the Bench this way are considered Basic Pokemon.)

My question is-

I put an Omanyte or Kabuto onto my bench (not 1st turn of course, but anytime after) Can I evolve them into Omastar or Kabutops that same turn of using Underground Lake???
    First, you can use Underground Lake on your first turn!
    You are not evolving them, you are playing them as Basics. So there is not problem with breaking the first turn evolution rule.
    Now, can you evolve them the turn you played them?
    No, you can't. While getting them into play got around the normal rules, once they are in play they have to obey those rules going forward. And the normal rule is that you cannot evolve a Pokemon the same turn that it came into play. It doesn't matter how it got into play.

Now, if you had Skyridge Omanyte with Waters of Evolution, you could use that attack at the end of the first turn and it would evolve, ready to go for your second turn. (For those that disagree that this should work, I sympathize. But it has been ruled on by PUI as valid...)

Question also pertains to Maxie and Archie, can that pokemon be evolved into next stage same turn Maxie / Archie is being played???

As with the previous example, once the Pokemon comes into play, it must follow the normal rules and you can't evolve it normally the same turn.

In both cases, if it were the second turn or forward, you could use Wally's Training or Rare Candy to evolve them that same turn.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.