Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

unown G (and other such cards and attack effects)

thegatekeeper

Ok, scenario time.

Secret wonders weavile attacks with chip off. Opponent's active pokemon has an unown G attached to his or her active.

"OK, I get to discard your hand until, you have 5 cards left"
"no, you cant. Unown G prevents all effects"
"yes, I can. Unown G says prevents all effects done to the POKEMON. This effect is applied to YOU, the PLAYER!"
"Nooooooo, your pokemon's attacks and effects are ALWAYS still aimed at my POKEMON, thus it is prevented by unown G"

Who is right? I was sure that the effect IS still applied as the effect is NOT targeted at the pokemon, but the player (or pokemon trainer!)

Once upon a time effects were directed at Pokemon only.. we had that whole lot of fun with Suicune (Neo Revelation). We had the Magby (NG) Sputter rulling. I'm trying to remember the first example where effects resided on the opponent and not on a Pokemon: The game changed significantly even if we didn't really notice.

Ian I think it might be Sabrina's Gengar from Gym Challenge, similar to Magby or do you mean things like Manectric ex where its only affecting the player?

And yes Chris you were right just to confirm, the cards still get discarded.

Does Unown G prevent the effects of Gardevoir(SW)'s Psychic Lock? If so how does it work, would the Unown need to be attached to the pokemon wanting to use the poke power or to the active pokemon(assuming they are different?)

Once upon a time effects were directed at Pokemon only.. we had that whole lot of fun with Suicune (Neo Revelation). We had the Magby (NG) Sputter rulling. I'm trying to remember the first example where effects resided on the opponent and not on a Pokemon: The game changed significantly even if we didn't really notice.

Yes.
The Rules Team had huge discussions when the change happened and the "Magby Rule" was overturned.
We were sure the player base would make a huge deal over it.

No one noticed! :confused:

It was a few years ago and people have slowly become aware of the change.

It is one of the fundamental differences between how WotC interpreted the game vs how PUI does.
PUI tries very hard to follow how PLC interprets the cards. PCL being the Japanese game designers for those that don't know.

Ian I think it might be Sabrina's Gengar from Gym Challenge, similar to Magby or do you mean things like Manectric ex where its only affecting the player?

And yes Chris you were right just to confirm, the cards still get discarded.

It wasn't Sab's Gengar. That was under WotC.
It might have been when Manectric ex was introduced.

If its discarding energy from the pokemon with unown/wp attached then its prevented. Discarding from the attacker is still done.

Don't start making rulings on it.
We should get a ruling on it shortly.
No sense having to reeducate everybody

:( Unown G is not worded like most protection effects. It seems closest to Fire Red Leaf Green Venomoth, which similarly just specifies attacks. In 2004 FRLG Venomoth's protective Dust was not restricted to the opponents attacks. But that is an old card and has an old rulling, it may have changed and we just don't know it. Untill I hear otherwise I intend to rule on Unown G like Venomoth. But I don't know if this is right or wrong.

so with Unown G's current wording, if I flip tails on Flygon ex PK's attack, I will still be able to attack with it next turn?

Based upon the card text: Yes.
based upon how I expect the rulling to go: No.
based upon how I'll currently rule: Yes.
based upon what your Head Judge might rule:????

like you say Life is simple, not easy

If the poke Unown G is attached to is attacked by Pachy's Smash Short, does the effect work? If it does, can it discard Unown G's in your hand?

....argh......

Right now I think the unown G will stay attached but you would do extra damage and would get to look at the opponents hand and discard any Tools of the same name. Except there aren't any Tools that would match as Unown G is a Pokemon. So maybe you don't even get to look.

...argh... I repeat ..argh..

Back