Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ursaring Prime - Under estamated?

BlackBrock

With the new set coming out, the primes have been hot, and theres still the question of whats playable and whats not, whos playable but to much of a hassle to get set up. One of the many cards underestamated it seems like is to be Ursaring Prime. for those who are not aware of his Stats.

Ursaring Prime - Stage 1 - 110 HP
CCC Hammer Arm - 30 - Discard the top card of the opponets deck

CCCC- Megaton Lariat - 60

takes alil energy to deal his damage but what makes it fast is the its all colorless... its easy to set up with Interviewrs Question or a simple, multi card draw supporter. but where his big hitting pwoer comes into play is his Body

PokeBody : Berserk - If Ursaring has any damage counters on it, each of Ursaring's attaks does 60 more damage (before applying weakness and resistance)

simply having 1 damage causes instant 120 damage, or 90 damage and discard the opponets card. bye bye Luxchomp...

The way im running him is with Nidoqueen and Dusknoir bench Tech (dark palm) 4 Pokehealer + and 2 Life Herbs (Claydol is a given) but also Unkown P and a Donphan Tech (Relicath, being replaced for Lanturn Prime) so he's being Healed, you control the otherperson bench and you swinging for 90-120 a turn...

Now adding in Expert Belt makes him all the more dangerous, he swings for 110-140 dmg a turn and bumped up to 130 HP. which KO's quite abit of the popular decks going. As for his x2 Fighting Weakness, as i mentioned above to cover that, i chose Lanturn Prime because of the amount of energy thats gonna be sitting out on your side fo the feild and he's Poke-Power lets him become a Water type, which is Fighting Weakness which then would turn into a OHKO. almsot forgot to add, played with the Weavile from SV and 4 special Dark energy in the deck.... that bumps him up to a possable 150-180 damage a turn...when stacked, non-stacked 12-150 a turn. still enough to KO anything in format.

Whats your thoughts?

Still say his attacks cost too much, you're not doing anything before min T2 period, and that's assuming you can get 1/4 DCE into your hands by then. If you can't get any DCE onto him, you're now looking at T3 min before attacking, by which point he's probably either dead or about ready to die. So in that way, he's not working I think as a speedy deck like Donphan Prime (which coincidentally OHKOs him)...dunno how else you'd really run him.

2 DCE and it's ready to go!!

Using Weaville is a good option. You don't need Lanturn at all. Do you think anyone will dare try to play with Donphan, with Gyarados being one of the top decks, and all of the water support that came out of the new set that people will be playing with this format?

The only thing you'll have to worry about is Toxicroak G promo and they only play with 1, so that's not a big deal at all.

If I had some, I would be smacking people in the face with em!!. :lol:

his hp is low and OHKOed by promocroak and donkphan.
his speed comes with unsearchable DCE.
hes not really underestimated hes just not a great card atm.
no doubt that he does alot of damage but damage isnt always everything

What about memory berry? You can use Teddiursa's Take Down for a cheap t1/t2 80. Then set up another Ursaring to start discarding their deck/killing their dudes.

Aside from DCE being unsearchable, this could be really strong and fast if you played your cards right. I like the memory berry idea, as well as the Slowking thing. But alas, there are much faster and stronger things in the format. I doubt this could win consistently against many of the BDIF's.

What about memory berry? You can use Teddiursa's Take Down for a cheap t1/t2 80. Then set up another Ursaring to start discarding their deck/killing their dudes.

If you read Teddiursa's attack + Urasaring's Poke-Body correctly, Ursaring using Take Down would do 70 damage to himself :thumb:

Aside from DCE being unsearchable, this could be really strong and fast if you played your cards right. I like the memory berry idea, as well as the Slowking thing. But alas, there are much faster and stronger things in the format. I doubt this could win consistently against many of the BDIF's.

his hp is low and OHKOed by promocroak and donkphan.
his speed comes with unsearchable DCE.
hes not really underestimated hes just not a great card atm.
no doubt that he does alot of damage but damage isnt always everything

DCE is not entirely unsearchable. I believe an interviewervs questions with 4 DCE in the deck would work out rather well.

That being said, his HP is rather low, and he needs at least 1 damage counter on him to start bringing the big pain, which kind of drops his HP to 100. His attacks are very costly, and retreat cost is not pretty...

My suggestion would be to run him with something else not just by itself. I think Typhlosion would be good to run him with, but you would have to get both of the stage 2's out pretty darn quickly for that to work early game.

Not worth building into a deck. Main problem is the HP, and weakness just murders him. All that work to get railed by some random fighting type.

Promocroak especially.

2 DCE and it's ready to go!!

Using Weaville is a good option. You don't need Lanturn at all. Do you think anyone will dare try to play with Donphan, with Gyarados being one of the top decks, and all of the water support that came out of the new set that people will be playing with this format?

The only thing you'll have to worry about is Toxicroak G promo and they only play with 1, so that's not a big deal at all.

If I had some, I would be smacking people in the face with em!!. :lol:

Last I checked, Donphan was still out there, didn't it even win some States and a Regional or something? Just because Gyara is a top deck doesn't mean jack, as LuxChomp eats it decently, and Donphan has arguably a decent matchup with it. It all cycles around... And lol, water support...if you mean Gatr + Blastoise or Lanturn basically...

Not worth building into a deck. Main problem is the HP, and weakness just murders him. All that work to get railed by some random fighting type.

Promocroak especially.

fighting type isnt as big of a problem as you make it out to be, its easy to play around, Cyclone Energy it away for the turn. or hit Don for 140 minus 20 he has 20 hp left then KO nex turn... Ursaring is a OHKO anything if he isnt KO'd the oppoents first time round. Gengar is no Thread, LuxChomp ? Ha ! Ursaring enjoys eatting lil dragons (i dealt out 280 damage to Garchomp C, over kill? Ursaring says no...)

@ MattPL and your right, Interviewers Question is the way you can search for the "unsearchable" energy, so is Cynthina's Guidence, he's good by himself and Unown P and Nidoqueen (damage him for 1, deal 140 and back to full hp, Pokehealer + and Life Herb works wonders)

He has the speed (if the deck is built right) he runs well by himself, runs well with anyone, he is the great equalizer !! the great bam-bino ! (not really just felt like quoteing the sand-lot) o and Pokemon Contest Hall comes in handy with him aswell... T1 Ursaring with E-belt and atleast 2 energy? yes please?

I can't see this beating luxchomp.Luxchomp can use promocroak on the first ursaring for 2 prizes and then you will be behind on energy. Being too reliant on Expert belt is bad as well as DCE. Also, Ambipom G will move your energy around so that you can't get attacking without having good luck on getting DCE. Lantern is a bad donphan counter being weak to fighting. Gyarados runs a donphan, and as you trade off prizes gyarados will win without needing energy. Jumpluff just outspeeds it and has a better damage output.

Last I checked, Donphan was still out there, didn't it even win some States and a Regional or something? Just because Gyara is a top deck doesn't mean jack, as LuxChomp eats it decently, and Donphan has arguably a decent matchup with it. It all cycles around... And lol, water support...if you mean Gatr + Blastoise or Lanturn basically...

No. It did not win any states, or reginals. It does mean jack. Yeah, Donphan kills Luxray, but there is so much more that can kill Donphan. Including all that stuff I said, along with Kingdra Prime.

If it's out there then where is it? It's like serching for Waldo, or Carmen Sandiago. I say good luck to you in your qwest to find Donphan. Secretly, it's our 4th legendary Pokemon that we have to search for in order to finish the pokedex. :lol:

Ursaring should be played more, but since you guys keep comming up with crap stuff that people will believe, it will go no where. Unless someone takes it and prooves you wrong and wins a Battle Roads with it you won't be satisfied.

And they say all I ever talk about is Ampharos. :lol:

You can't expect Donphan or Machamp not to be played, these decks are easy enough to understand for new players and so newer players will be playing them. Promo Toxicroak G and Lucario GL are going to be played, and the fact that Lucario one shots you, with Toxicroak sitting there waiting for you to ko Lucario kinda drops your SP matchup.

Ursaring is trash, the fact that it has 100HP and takes 3 energy to attack is killer to it. You have to search the DCE which is awful and don't say Interviewers, because that uses up your supporter for the turn and unless you have an insane hand you won't be getting much going. And early on, unless you play 16+ energy, you WILL whiff on Interviewers from time to time.

pretty sure donphan won texas(?) states. correct me if I'm wrong

and anything can win BR's if people play it enough. heck didnt butterfree win a citys or something?

I don't like this thread.

But really. Pocchama summarized it nicely: why would you want a 100 HP stage 1 that requires 3 energy to maybe do 90 damage + discard?

No. It did not win any states, or reginals. It does mean jack. Yeah, Donphan kills Luxray, but there is so much more that can kill Donphan. Including all that stuff I said, along with Kingdra Prime.

If it's out there then where is it? It's like serching for Waldo, or Carmen Sandiago. I say good luck to you in your qwest to find Donphan. Secretly, it's our 4th legendary Pokemon that we have to search for in order to finish the pokedex. :lol:

Ursaring should be played more, but since you guys keep comming up with crap stuff that people will believe, it will go no where. Unless someone takes it and prooves you wrong and wins a Battle Roads with it you won't be satisfied.

And they say all I ever talk about is Ampharos. :lol:

Amphy, do some research before you talk lol ;)

straight Donphan won texas states
luxchomp/donphan won so.cal regs
and if I'm not mistaken, it also top cut/won nor.cal regs.

Donphan is great, but everyone who is going crazy over the ursaring/donphan matchup is slow. While donphan is good, it is hardly seen out of a couple decks.

---------- Post added 05/17/2010 at 10:42 PM ----------

I don't like this thread.

But really. Pocchama summarized it nicely: why would you want a 100 HP stage 1 that requires 3 energy to maybe do 90 damage + discard?

Nothing positive there guru? You should read R_A's report lyke zomg!!

Last edited:
simply having 1 damage causes instant 120 damage, or 90 damage and discard the opponets card. bye bye Luxchomp...

Just wanted to point out how ludicrous this statement is.

"Simply having 1 damage counter and three energy causes instant 90 damage and discard the top card of your opponent's deck, or consistent 120 with four energy." Don't leave out important details. So you're basically throwing out a 3-energy 90 HP Pokemon to do 90, or 120.

Luxchomp would eat you alive.

Just wanted to point out how ludicrous this statement is.

"Simply having 1 damage counter and three energy causes instant 90 damage and discard the top card of your opponent's deck, or consistent 120 with four energy." Don't leave out important details. So you're basically throwing out a 3-energy 90 HP Pokemon to do 90, or 120.

Luxchomp would eat you alive.

90 hp ? do i need to put up a picture of hte pokemon for you guys that keep saying he has 100hp? he has 110, which makes a BIG differnce, 10hp the difference between a win and a loss, ya'll should know that. and your gonna tell me Garchomp is gonna eat my alive? and Lux will eat me alive? yea let them try and one shot Ursay, it wont happen lol i'll OHKO 2 of there pokemon before they are set up, already happened when i played mine. and actually found out another local guy's Ursa deck is faster than mine, and i get Ursa out with 2 energy consistanly T1 75% of the time, other than that is a T2 90 damage no belt Easy. Interviewers i your main way of searching out the energy aside draw power from claydol. shoot if ill post my deck list if i need to show you how mine works. but i can garentee those who say he's trash and all of that are gonna end up loosing to him at BR and Nats. mock my words hahahhaahhaa:thumb::lol: and dont let me keep Pokemon Contest Hall in play....ooooo booooyyy....o and Nidoqeen and Dark Palm with Unokwn P on my bench? yeaaaaa with a back up Ursa ? yeeaaaa no0o0o0o LuxChomp went down Ursaring just... nom nom nom nom (having alittle fun :) dont take it to eriously :) )

Back