Utah State Championship May 1st

Discussion in 'State/Province/Territory Championships' started by Gym Leader Blaine, Apr 22, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

Utah State Championship
    Saturday May 1, 2004

602 East 500 South
    Salt Lake City, UT. 84102

Time:Registration begins at 12:00pm
    Tournament begins at 1:00pm

Entry Fee: $5.00 per player- Every participant will also get a special limited Championship promotional (promo) card.

Format: Every player will get at least 4 rounds of age-modified, Swiss-style play. Players must bring their own Modified deck, which includes only cards from the following sets: Expedition, Aquapolis, Skyridge, Ruby & Sapphire, Sandstorm, Dragon, and Team Magma Vs Team Aqua. For a complete description of the playing format and other information regarding this tournament, please see the website listed below.

Prizes: Awarded for each age group (10 & Under, 11 through 14, and 15 & Up)
    1st Place: 36 Booster Packs of Pokemon Team Magma Vs Team Aqua
    VIP package upon registration at Nationals Championship
    2nd Place: 18 Booster packs of Pokemon Team Magma Vs Team Aqua
    3rd& 4th Place:9 Booster packs of Pokemon Team Magma Vs Team Aqua
    5th – 8th Place: 4 Booster packs of Pokemon Team Magma Vs Team Aqua

Gameboy Side Event: There will be a free Ruby & Sapphire Gameboy Advance tournament available for participants of the State Championship, held immediately afterwards. For information and rules on the Gameboy tournament, please see website below.
    Unlimited Side Event: There will be a free Unlimited tournament available for participants of the State Championship after the Championship tournament. For information and rules on this tournament please see website below.

2. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

hey GLBlaine. Just curious. How are you going to do the Playoffs? Top 4/8? Top 25%? Best-of-3? (oh please, please, please :) )

Also, don't forget to mention the cool Pikachu trophy for the winners, and the VIP kit for the Utah CC Champs.

Hey, do my Colorado City Champs with VIP badges get the VIP treatment at your State Championship? What VIP treatments will you be giving (i.e, reduced fees, special playing areas, etc.)?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  3. Gym Leader Blaine

Thanks for reminding me SteveP. Winners will get the very cool Pikachu trophy. Also winners of the Utah CCs will be able to pick up there VIP packages.

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

COLORADO UPDATE:

I'll be bringing about 6 players from Colorado. One of my players won the 11-14 category at the Colorado States. Despite my best efforts to convince him otherwise, he really wants to play in the main event. (No, it's not my son.) I'll only bring him if there's room in my van. Sorry about this GLBlaine. Hopefully, we'll be able to apply some peer pressure and encourage him to focus on the side events.

Hey, how do you feel about a draft side-event? I've got about 50 base set and 50 jungle boosters from Target that I got for about .75 per booster. If you're interested, we can do a 5-booster (3.75) or 6-booster (4.50) draft (to cover my cost for the boosters).

See you Saturday, or Friday night (at EndZone) if you're there.

5. ultimatedra

ultimatedra New Member

well, this was good turnout today.

les see if GLB can post the report

6. Gym Leader Blaine

IT was a great turn out we had a total of 67 players at the Utah State Championship. THe break down was:

10 & Under:11
    11 thru 14: 23
    15 & Up: 33

IT was a lot of fun. During the playoffs we had a GBA side event with 16 player and once that and the playoffers where done we held a Unlimited tournament with 36 players in it. :cool: Thanks for SteveP and his group from coming down it was nice to meet all of your guys. Also thanks for all the local players for making the even a success. Look forwards to seeing everyone again at the Gym Challenge on May 15th.

7. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Top decks:

15+
    1st - Gardy
    2nd - Swampert/Latias/Magnemite
    3rd/4th - Gardy
    3rd/4th - BAR/Wobby

11-14
    1st - BAR/BEX *
    2nd - Gardy *
    3rd/4th - AmphyEX
    3rd/4th - BAR

* - the Gardy deck actually beat the BAR/BEX deck in the final but decided to concede after the match because the Gardy player had already won a State Championship.

10-under (don't know)

8. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Props -

- GLBlaine for getting Nintendo to supply LOTS of boosters for side events.
    - Nintendo for providing Pizza.
    - Manule G (from Colorado) for making the BEST semi-rogue deck (Swampert/Latias/Magnemite) and finishing 2nd in a fiercly fought final. Even with a HORRIBLE draw, he almost decked his opponent in the marathon, untimed final.
    - 3 of my Colorado players (15+) who prepared PROPERLY for 1-game matches and made top 8 because of it.
    - The UTAH judging crew was pretty up-to-date on the rulings, and used the Compendium when they didn't know the answers.
    - Andrea (I think that was her name) from the Layton league who had a SOLID group of decent players, including her own children. Good luck at the Gym!
    - The location (a SLC shopping mall). EXCELLENT spot to attract passers-by to the game.
    - EndZone for giving 10% off coupons to all players.
    - GLBlaine for letting VIPs play the main event for FREE!

Slops -

- my son for being so cocky that we could actually do well without modifying his Gardy deck to do better in 1-game matches (he never had a game go beyond the 4th-5th turn). He either won quickly, or lost miserably. He didn't even make the playoffs.
    - me for doing the same thing my son did (see above).
    - The player who "mistakenly" took someones deck and was caught.
    - Anaconda who said he'd trade a SwampertEX to me, then changed his mind :cool: (but I pulled one in our Colorado TA/TM booster draft afterwards).
    - 1-game matches (sorry GLB, I had to throw that it). However, I don't feel as bad anymore about 1-game matches since I think you really can build your deck to minimize the bad-luck factor. Manule G (see above) proved that point by finishing second with a deck that probably wouldn't finish so high in best-of-3 matches.

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  9. ultimatedra

ultimatedra New Member

well, steve, evryone has their thoughts on best of 3. some like and some dislike. and i am glad that you have seen that a single match isent bad.

and the reason the players where free, is cuz the VIP made the price of tournys -$5. and sencew this tourny was $5 they where free.

and, i gotta say, i saw that Swampert/Latias/Magnemite in action and.......WOW! mist ball,get energy back on,mist ball, and continue. amazing.