Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UU format expanding the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venusaur116

I had this idea after realizing how many cards there are that don't see play at all, and how expensive a lot of the necessary "staple" cards in the TCG are.
My Idea is really simple.
Start with the existing Expanded format and add the following restrictions:

No Pokemon EX (They are pretty OP, and expensive)

Only one copy of each supporter card is allowed in your deck. (This includes same effect cards like professors juniper and sycamore). This somewhat limits the power of trainer cards. and will make decks slightly less consistent. The following rule will balance this out though

There wont be prize cards. only counters or a die to keep track of how many Pokemon have fainted. This is a no brainier. The game should have had this from the beginning. Not having 10% of your cards accessible form the get go is really annoying. especially when it is random.

(maybe) Play with weakness and resistance all as +/- 10, respectively. Your mono grass deck shouldn't outright fail against a mono fire deck because of the type of Pokemon you use. however, the type advantages in Pokemon make it interesting and shouldn't outright be ignored.

The following cards are banned:
Rare candy
Pokemon catcher
Crush hammer
All ace spec cards.
Hypnotoxic laser
Virbank city gym
Muscle band
Double colorless energy
as well as anything that proves to be just way too powerful and dominating for this format.

In conclusion, I think removing OP cards and rules that dont make much sense would make for a fun new side format to try.

What do you think?
What are some cards that you would like to see banned that would allow this format to shine?
Are there anymore rule changes you would like to see/ not see?

My reactions to your restrictions:

Urgh, but I can see where you're coming from. I don't personally agree with this, though.
That does nothing but make decks inconsistent, certainly doesn't IMPROVE anything even slightly. What advantage is there in forcing people to run subpar Supporters like Shauna or Cheren?
This one I don't get at all. You don't even list an alternate victory condition, so counting the number of knockouts seems completely irrelevant. And prizes aren't a problem. Having specific cards prized is something you can work around 99% of the time if you don't suck and take notice of what IS prized.
Weakness is a major balancing factor in the TCG. It prevents things being completely dominant by providing a consistent way to deal with those threats. Removing it (changing it to +10 may as well be removing it, that does NOTHING) makes the threats HARDER to counter.

This "format" has no real merit. It doesn't fix ANY problem with the TCG (I suppose it kind of makes decks a lot cheaper, but it does this in the worst way possible), and I don't see it ever being balanced anyway. It's pretty obvious that certain cards will still be dominant. Cards like Donphan, Pyroar, Accelgor, Eelektrik, etc. will still be powerful, and even if you ban those, more cards will come up to dominate. It's inevitable. Banlists shouldn't be about this anyway, they should aim to hit as few cards as possible.

If you ban Rare Candy, non-EX basics and some stage 1 Pokémon like Donphan will dominate the format since stage 2 decks have no chance.

If you don't ban Rare Candy, Flygon/Dusknoir will be broken since there is almost no non-ex deck that can beat it, except for some trainer lock stuff.

I've had ideas about this, except far more restrictive: only Pokémon (no Pokémon-EX, Pokémon with Abilities, or Pokémon with Ancient Traits) and basic Energy. No Special Energy, no Trainers. Low-Energy utility attacks become quite a bit more important and useful, though it can leave things like Zekrom a bit difficult to oppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back