Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WEBSITE LIVE -- 3rd Annual Ugly Cup - July 11, 2010

ugly psyducky

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
*** PRE-REGISTRATION NOW OPEN CLICK THROUGH THE LINK IN MY SIG ***
*** ALL NEW NOTICES WRT THE UGLY CUP WILL BE POSTED THERE, IN THE CASE OF DIFFERING INFORMATION THE UGLY CUP WEBSITE IS THE DEFINITIVE SOURCE***

Once again, Team Ugly brings you the Canadian National Ugly Cup. This unsanctioned tournament aims to provide players from across Canada one final chance for the season to compete for a travel allowance to the World Championships in Kona Hawaii along with other great prizes.

Date: Sunday July 11, 2010. Start 9 am / End 5 pm latest

Prizes
For each age division

3rd - 4th Place 5 Booster Packs of the Latest Pokémon TCG release
2nd Place 8 Packs
1st Place 18 Packs

The winner of the combined play-off between the 3 age divisions will win a travel allowance to Kona Hawaii for two people, including airfare and lodgings. Value of the allowance will be based on the price of air tickets from Vancouver or Toronto on the date of the Ugly Cup plus the standard price of a Double Occupancy Room for four (4) nights at the World's Tournament Venue or $5000, whichever is less.

Registration Requirements

1. Player must participate (in either a judging or playing capacity) at the Canadian National Championships and must have been eligible to play in said Championship.
  2. Player must bring proof that he/she has played / judged in the following number of Spring 2010 Battle Road Tournaments
    Junior Players – 1
    Seniors Players – 2
    Masters Players – 3​
  3. Players who have won POP sponsored trips to Worlds at the Canadian National Championships are ineligible to win the Travel Allowance and in the case that they are the winner of the Ugly Cup, the travel allowance will pass down to the next highest placing eligible player.
  4. In each age division attendance will be capped at 30 players. Pre-registration will be made available via a separate website. A waiting list will be used to handle pre-registered players who fail to meet the registration requirements above. Final player rosters will be posted before the end of the Swiss Rounds at the Canadian National Championships

Format

Each player will be permitted to enter two (2) 40-card decks into the tournament. All cards allowed by the current Modified Constructed format will be allowed in the deck to the normal maximum of four (4) cards of the same name except for basic energy which may be present in any number. Along with the (2) 40-card decks the player will be allowed an Elimination Sidebar of 5 different cards excluding basic energy . Both decks (with each being clearly delineated as Deck 1 or Deck 2) and the sidebar cards will be submitted on a single deck list sheet.

At the start of each round, each player will place three of the five cards from the sidebar face down on the table and place a randomizer hidden from view of their opponent in either the heads or tails position. Heads will indicate that the player has selected to use Deck 1 where tails will indicate that the player has selected to use Deck 2. Once the decks are selected, the sidebar cards are flipped over and each player removes from their deck cards of the same name as revealed by all (both theirs and their opponents) sidebar cards. All cards removed from the deck are put aside and not used for the remainder of the round.

In the case where two players from different age divisions play each other, only the player from the younger age division puts out cards from their Elimination Sidebar. Both players must remove the selected cards from their respective decks.

Set-up and play is per normal rules. For this format 4 prize cards and 25 minute time allowance per round. 45 minutes for Best 2 out of 3 Top Cut.

Determination of the number of rounds and Top Cut numbers will be per the Standard Tournament Operating Procedures for each age division. Play will continue until a Champion in each age division is determined.

The top finisher in Each Age Division plus the second place finisher with the best record and tie breaks will be eligible for the final T4 multi-division play-off. These games will be Best 2 out of 3 with a 45 minute time limit.

Last edited:
Once again, you've managed to come up with a very interesting format. The sidebar idea is genious - will definitely try to make it in, and if I do, will certainly enjoying 'banning' a couple of overpowered cards :)

Thanks again Terry for running this!

Last edited:
Woah, wasn't expecting this lol

So you have to play/judge Nats and play/judge 3 BRs to enter??? That seems cool:)

I don't fully understand the rules so would it maybe be possible for you to do a demo at Regionals??? It would attract a bigger player base for your tournament.

I will try to make it as it sounds fun and I am in need of a trip badly to Worlds (since I have secured an invite).

interestin format,

the registration requirements are alot different from last year tho. alot of players will play in 3 spring battle roads, is it going to be like a first-come-first-serve basis?

Couldn't you just see this making gyrados unplayable. I mean i know I will have a magikarp in my elemination board. Its like Hey I just took away all your damage all game.

Just confirming winners will have to fly from Toronto or Vancouver? Or is it just based on a flight from one of those places?

Also you have to play in 3 Battles roads.... (AB may only have 3 with one over a 3 hour drive) need to know to confirm what I am doing.

Also LOVE THE FORMAT THIS YEAR <3

Thanks for running this Terry!

Once again, Team Ugly brings you the Canadian National Ugly Cup. This unsanctioned tournament aims to provide players from across Canada one final chance for the season to compete for a travel allowance to the World Championships in Kona Hawaii along with other great prizes.

Date: Sunday July 11, 2010. Start 9 am / End 5 pm latest

Prizes
For each age division

3rd - 4th Place 5 Booster Packs of the Latest Pokémon TCG release
2nd Place 8 Packs
1st Place 18 Packs

The winner of the combined play-off between the 3 age divisions will win a travel allowance to Kona Hawaii for two people, including airfare and lodgings. Value of the allowance will be based on the price of air tickets from Vancouver or Toronto on the date of the Ugly Cup plus the standard price of a Double Occupancy Room for four (4) nights at the World's Tournament Venue or $5000, whichever is less.

thanks for doing this again Terry !!!!!

Registration Requirements

1. Player must participate (in either a judging or playing capacity) at the Canadian National Championships and must have been eligible to play in said Championship.
  2. Player must bring proof that he/she has played / judged in the following number of Spring 2010 Battle Road Tournaments
    Junior Players – 1
    Seniors Players – 2
    Masters Players – 3​
  3. Players who have won POP sponsored trips to Worlds at the Canadian National Championships are ineligible to win the Travel Allowance and in the case that they are the winner of the Ugly Cup, the travel allowance will pass down to the next highest placing eligible player.
  4. In each age division attendance will be capped at 30 players. Pre-registration will be made available via a separate website. A waiting list will be used to handle pre-registered players who fail to meet the registration requirements above. Final player rosters will be posted before the end of the Swiss Rounds at the Canadian National Championships

is it a first-come-first-serve basis or a random lottery system ?

ps. Vancouver players, there is a pretty good chance that we will only have 2 Spring Battle Roads, so :(
pps. I'll try to work out something with Steve to get a 3rd one locked down, even if it's the island. or else we (BC players) will have to make a trip to Seattle lol :p
Format

Each player will be permitted to enter two (2) 40-card decks into the tournament. All cards allowed by the current Modified Constructed format will be allowed in the deck to the normal maximum of four (4) cards of the same name except for basic energy which may be present in any number. Along with the (2) 40-card decks the player will be allowed an Elimination Sidebar of 5 different cards excluding basic energy . Both decks (with each being clearly delineated as Deck 1 or Deck 2) and the sidebar cards will be submitted on a single deck list sheet.

At the start of each round, each player will place three of the five cards from the sidebar face down on the table and place a randomizer hidden from view of their opponent in either the heads or tails position. Heads will indicate that the player has selected to use Deck 1 where tails will indicate that the player has selected to use Deck 2. Once the decks are selected, the sidebar cards are flipped over and each player removes from their deck cards of the same name as revealed by all (both theirs and their opponents) sidebar cards. All cards removed from the deck are put aside and not used for the remainder of the round.

In the case where two players from different age divisions play each other, only the player from the younger age division puts out cards from their Elimination Sidebar. Both players must remove the selected cards from their respective decks.

Set-up and play is per normal rules. For this format 4 prize cards and 25 minute time allowance per round. 45 minutes for Best 2 out of 3 Top Cut.

Determination of the number of rounds and Top Cut numbers will be per the Standard Tournament Operating Procedures for each age division. Play will continue until a Champion in each age division is determined.

The top finisher in Each Age Division plus the second place finisher with the best record and tie breaks will be eligible for the final T4 multi-division play-off. These games will be Best 2 out of 3 with a 45 minute time limit.

interesting format ;)

Last edited:
OK Questions Break Down into 3 Categories

Battle Road Requirements. Yes the requirement is 3 BRs for Master's Players. To a degree this is meant to increase attendance at BRs across the country (and possibly as per Bidier's post - increase the number of BRs by having players talk the local TOs into trying to find a new venue for one more BRs). Most importantly this requirement will restict the number of players who simply show up for Nats, find out about the tournament and then want to sign up -- the Cup has always been about rewarding players / judges that are active in the Community. Last year we ran pre-Qualifing tournaments in Ontario, but I think the BR requirement is less onerous on the non-Ontario players then the Qualifying route we used last year.

First-come-first serve vs. lottery system for the 30 slots. The 30 slot limit is simply a case of organizing a tournament which must have a definitive end time as many people will need to fly out that evening and we can't be going too late. If we really get a larger number of Master's players I may consider a 2nd Flight. It's certainly not my intent to exclude deserving players from the event, only to ensure that it can be run in a timely manner that respects many individuals travel plans. Let's just say this is under review for the time being and we'll see once I open up pre-registration how big the demand for the tourney is going to be and we'll go from there.

Format Questions. The Pre-Registration Site (when I get it set up in a few weeks), will have a lot more detailed information about the format in a FAQ format. But in the interim you can PM me your specific questions and I'll respond as best I can.

I'm glad to see we have BC and AB participation in the thread already. Get the word out to your fellow players this is going on and hopefully we'll see it help boost BR and Nats attendance.

Ugly Out

Hopefully Steve will be able to schedule a third spring BR. Let's just say it may not be up to him - I know by experience. Otherwise, this sounds like an interesting format, with some very good ideas. Thanks again for your generosity, Terry. It's nice to know we have people committed as you to a healthy organized play up here in Canada. Good job. One question though, are ORGANIZERS of 3 spring BR's eligible? LOL.

One question though, are ORGANIZERS of 3 spring BR's eligible? LOL.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

PTOs are ALWAYS eligible for ANY Ugly Event. Though you still have to meet the residency requirements to play at Canadian Nats and not have a POP sponsored trip for judging etc. to Worlds to win the Travel Allowance. (Yep, last time I looked Utopia is still in the Canada).

I'd love to see you at a table Garret. Even Better R1 Feature Match Marvin vs. Garret. That would make my year!

Steve / John / PTO from Quebec sorry don't know your name --> Offer stands!!

Last edited:
Yeah, but I would hope the TOM program blew up afterwards! It would definitely be an interesting photo op. He'd probably chew me up and spit me out without even breaking a sweat. I guess I better start practicing now.

Could you explain the elimination sidebar just a bit more, please? I take it that the player submits a decklist which contains either 80 or 85 cards. If it's 80, they deal out the sidebar first, right? If it's 85 cards and they have the other 5 as a sideboard type thing, they may not have any of the same cards in the deck, and only have cards there to hurt their opponent, by making them drop 3 or more cards they may not want the opponent to use. Is this your strategy that you wish to accomplish, or just an interesting tidbit that I should have kept to myself?

Does the use of deck 1 in the first game of the match mean you have to use the same deck in any subsequent games in a match?

I know you mentioned to pm you, but I was hoping this info might be helpful to others too.

From my interpretation from reading Terry's original post, the 5-card elimination sidebar will be part of your decklist.

The purpose of the sidebar is to add another element of countering the projected meta/your bad matchups. Instead of having a ridiculously focused 40-card deck where youre still allwoed to use 4 of any card, now, you can now put cards in the elimination sidebar that slow down/shut down your deck. For example, Mr. Mime for Gyarados variants. On the flip side, your opponent's sidebar could include cards that completely shutdown a decktype. Could you imagine a player having Cyrus Conspiracy in their elim bar? SP decks get wrecked.

As for what happens during a best of 3 match and whether we use the same deck or both, that is an interesting question that should be clarified

Rules currently state at the start of each round suggesting that you may only switch decks in between rounds not games.

Side board is to add another interesting feature in the game and to make it fun. It also provides a very nice and fair way to allow juniors to play masters and so on.

Deck lists will be like this I assume
Heads
39 psychic energy
Shuppet PL

Tails
39 water energy
Magikarp sf

Elimination sideboard
Sableye SF
BTS
Poketurn
Night maintenance
DCE

Last edited:
Wow, what an interesting format. I won't be taking part in the event as I live in the U.S., but I applaud you for putting on this tournament every year, and making a very interesting format like this to boot.

Question: When you lay out your sideboard, do you remove ALL cards of that name? For instance, if my opponent flips a Magikarp and I'm running a playset, do I remove all 4?

Wow, what an interesting format. I won't be taking part in the event as I live in the U.S., but I applaud you for putting on this tournament every year, and making a very interesting format like this to boot.

Question: When you lay out your sideboard, do you remove ALL cards of that name? For instance, if my opponent flips a Magikarp and I'm running a playset, do I remove all 4?

Once the decks are selected, the sidebar cards are flipped over and each player removes from their deck cards of the same name as revealed by all (both theirs and their opponents) sidebar cards

Quoted from the original post.

So it would seem any magikarp from any set would be removed.

Question:
From my interpretation from reading Terry's original post, the 5-card elimination sidebar will be part of your decklist.

As for what happens during a best of 3 match and whether we use the same deck or both, that is an interesting question that should be clarified

Answer:
Rules currently state at the start of each round suggesting that you may only switch decks in between rounds not games.

Side board is to add another interesting feature in the game and to make it fun. It also provides a very nice and fair way to allow juniors to play masters and so on.

Deck lists will be like this I assume
Heads
39 psychic energy
Shuppet PL

Tails
39 water energy
Magikarp sf

Elimination sideboard
Sableye SF
BTS
Poketurn
Night maintenance
DCE

Yep, this is exactly what I meant when posting.

Deck List Format is what I'm expecting -- Can I consider this your decklist Dex?:smile:

On set-up for Top Cuts. By Round I mean that in Best 2/3 cards are eliminated only once. Deck you are using is selected only once. This might change for the age-mixed, I haven't got enough run time in yet to see whether the handicapping is quite right yet for the younger player. But for now from what's written, the interpretation is correct.

Once the decks are selected, the sidebar cards are flipped over and each player removes from their deck cards of the same name as revealed by all (both theirs and their opponents) sidebar cards

Quoted from the original post.

So it would seem any magikarp from any set would be removed.

Yep. So I put Arceus in my Sidebar and you are playing an Arceus deck. All cards named Arceus, per the standard interpretation of card name are removed. I pretty much just wrecked your Arceus deck!

Clearly the idea is to challenge players to develop decks that:

a) can withstand having key cards removed
b) use unusual cards and pairings of cards that aren't wrecked by anything someone would logically put in an elimination sidebar.

Back