Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

what do you preffer POR or Copycat cat?

registeel

Hey I don't know about you but I like POR better than Copycat and I know that sooner or later (super wooper) is going to tell me how much Copycat is better but I like POR what do you think?

Oak's Research, definitely. Copycat's too undependable for my taste. I know SuperWooper has argued the other side of this, but in E-on, hands are, for the most part, smaller than they used to be, to the point that Copycat often yields fewer cards than Oak's Research.

POR is my choice for the surety of 5 cards as opposed to 0 - 15 for copycat. In this format the average hand of my opponent is 3-4.

I prefer Copycat, because I often play alot of search anyway, and never HAVE to use the copycat if my opp only has 2/3/4 cards.
And most decks here have either big hands and/or desert shaman.

Last edited:
I usually run both, mostly because I'm terrible at the topdeck game, but also because I want the perks of both. The stability of POR, and the amazing hand changing power of Copy.

If I absolutely HAD to choose between the two, it'd be for POR, hands down, because my luck is terrible, and I'd rather leave my card playing destany in my own hands rather than have it be in the hands of my opponent, who is uaually packing only 3-4 cards anyways.

LOL, Neither!!!!

I prefer Shaman to both, great hand disruption for a mere 1 card less than POR, though a few extra POR wouldnt hurt if there was room.

As far as just POR vs Cat, Cat is only better if opponent uses Delcatty, it rarely gets more than 5 outside of that... so it depends on your gaming area to which is actually better. Alot of Catty down here, so hey.....

BoDragon said:
Professor Oak's Research is better these days. Copycat is alright, but I ould use two at the most these days.

Hey Registeel, you didn't need to make a new post, just bring up my old one! Anyways, against BAR and other decks with HUGE drawing, use Copycat. I will agree with you on one thing. POR is definitely more stable, but most of the time, (this is only in my play area and with people I play online) I get 4-7 cards on average. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to take that risk. But I'm the underdog supporter: Forest Guardian over Oracle (this is only my taste, so don't bash me) , Copycat over POR, etc. Seriously though, play your thing.

Spectron, I find the biggest differences in Pokemon period are between 4 and 5 and 6 and 7. Between 4 and 5we have Shaman and POR. You're right, it's only a card, but what if your opponent has a one card hand? Then you're helping them. And usually that one card can make a pretty big difference, even if it is only one card. It goes from a fifteenth of your deck to a twelfth, not counting prizes you've already set and cards you've already drawn. Shaman is a good card, I'm not dissing it at all, it totally ruines first turn Oracles (FG rules! :D) and Wyaunts and Jump Catches and stuff, but that's a huge difference in my terms.

As for 6 and 7, we all know that. Come on. 70 HP is the magic haymaker number. 60 doesn't quite cut it (Sneasel is the most gigantic exception to this rule ever) usually.

Anway, It's just my opinion. *Sings to the tune of Get Up, Stand Up! Stand up for your rights!* Love it, hate it, somewhere in between! Love it, hate it, but don't pull out my spleen! :rolleyes:

SuperWooper said:
Hey Registeel, you didn't need to make a new post, just bring up my old one! Anyways, against BAR and other decks with HUGE drawing, use Copycat. I will agree with you on one thing. POR is definitely more stable, but most of the time, (this is only in my play area and with people I play online) I get 4-7 cards on average. I don't know about you, but I'm willing to take that risk. But I'm the underdog supporter: Forest Guardian over Oracle (this is only my taste, so don't bash me) , Copycat over POR, etc. Seriously though, play your thing.

Spectron, I find the biggest differences in Pokemon period are between 4 and 5 and 6 and 7. Between 4 and 5we have Shaman and POR. You're right, it's only a card, but what if your opponent has a one card hand? Then you're helping them. And usually that one card can make a pretty big difference, even if it is only one card. It goes from a fifteenth of your deck to a twelfth, not counting prizes you've already set and cards you've already drawn. Shaman is a good card, I'm not dissing it at all, it totally ruines first turn Oracles (FG rules! :D) and Wyaunts and Jump Catches and stuff, but that's a huge difference in my terms.

As for 6 and 7, we all know that. Come on. 70 HP is the magic haymaker number. 60 doesn't quite cut it (Sneasel is the most gigantic exception to this rule ever) usually.

Anway, It's just my opinion. *Sings to the tune of Get Up, Stand Up! Stand up for your rights!* Love it, hate it, somewhere in between! Love it, hate it, but don't pull out my spleen! :rolleyes:

Thanks for not yelling at me saying that (Copycat is the only way to go!!!!!)

Copycat is best played as an early game card, espically in fossil decks. Fossil decks can build up their hand, play some of the fossils, then get an even better, and unusually large hand with copycat. POR, however, will find a better use any other time of the game. But in Unlimited, I would use copycat. There are just too many cards to make a hand huge.

I use 2/2 of each in my deck, since early game, I do prefer POR, but once I have Delcatty down, I usually won't use either, or my opponent will cpycat me 10-15 cards and I will copycat him back ;). Everybody here uses Delcatty though so that's why I use 2/2, I'd prolly use 3/1 with 3 POR's if not many used Delcatty though. I also try to play 1 Shaman in EVERY deck, but that's just me.

-MuD

Ok, to whoever said if you Shaman when oponent has one. Normally I wouldnt bother, unless I just absolutely had too. I try not to, unless they just Oracled, then it is worth the +3 in there hand, generally. Though every deck I run Shaman in has Delcatty, so the 1 card disadvantage doesnt bother me, and the hording Shamans til I can either screw my opponent, or prevent decking. My fave is when I am set up, I will just Shaman and not draw.... Throws people off, shows your confedience in what you already have in play, and messes with their minds.... all factors helping you to win.

Venusaur said:
Oak's Research. Opponent has 2-4 cards.

Well that is not alway's true hey Super Wooper I am starting to see what you mean right now I think POR is = to Copycat lol and like super wooper says if you are batling delcatty witch there are alot of like in BAR and stuff you are going to get a 6-9 hand :D............. ;)

Last edited:
Venusaur said:
And then you lose to all the decks that don't play Delcatty.

As much as I hate to say it, Jermy is right...Mudkip plays 2/2 Copycat POR in his decks. I think this is a pretty good strategy: on the first turn Copycat will usually get you 5 or maybe even 6 cards, and against Delcatty, it'll get you more, but POR is more reliable. I think 2/2 is a pretty good strategy. If you can't make up your mind, go with that.

like I said, I usually go 3/3 or 4/3, mostly because I have bad topdecking luck, but also because they're both about equal.

Back