What do you think of this suggestion?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by P_A, Feb 12, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P_A

P_A Active Member

I won't pretend to know what the current problems due to COPPA are, but I assume that is the major reason why we can't access the current list of pokemon professors on the pokemon-tcg site. Considering how useful that list can be, especially in considering who you may invite to judge at your events, is it possible, or do you think it would be possible to link a page containing this list on the pokemon-tcg website within the tournament organizer's area, so that it won't be accessible to the general public, but still available to "need to know" persons? Seems to me to make sense. If it is possible, who would we contact, or can Team Compendium make this request?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  2. farbsman

farbsman New Member

You know, I have wondered about this too. The PTO's and TO's are suppose to use Professors to judge tournaments. I have kinda wondered how we were suppose to do that if we didn't know who they were. Right now anyone could come up and say they were a professor and we have no way of knowing if they are or not.

I think allowing TO's to access a part in the site when they are logged in is a great idea. I am not sure however why COPPA comes into this. Aren't those rules only for players under the age of 13? I honestly can't remember. Don't you have to be 15 to be a professor? So I don't see a problem here.

3. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

I do think COPPA is a smokescreen here there must be other issues with the list?

If you want more go to http://www.cdt.org/legislation/105th/privacy/coppa.html

As all professors are 15 or older then COPPA does not apply..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  4. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

I think there are other countries with similar laws but with higher age requirements.

5. old man

old man New Member

It might not e Coppa at all. Remember a while back there was an outcry of a lot of professors that their e-mail was posted & their spam increased. May have been a coincidence or maybe not. I don't know. Whatever the case, I would think a TO or PTO should have some kind of contacts in the area they want to run a tournament before they go there.

6. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

yoshi,

Can you give us some examples? Here in the UK we have data protection acts that cover the use and storage of data but they are easily complied with .. a standard disclaimer and the registration of the database with the data commissioner are all that is really needed..

I agree hence the COPPA is a smokescreen comment by me..

To truely deliver OP you need Judges and Knowledgeable ones at that, without a professor programme, without floor rulings that are meaningful and adhered to and without penalty guidelines there can be no secure future for the game. TO's need somewhere to go for judges... PUI will need somewhere to go for Judges so ask yourselves ..

If WotC can do it why can't PUI? As a TO for WotC I can sign in at:

http://webapp.wizards.com/download/dcicoords.asp

and look up a list of local judges what is wrong with copying a tried and tested route that does not fall fowl of coppa or spam engine problems, that works universally across countries..

A useful tool for growing the game I would have thought?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  7. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

I'd bet that a large number of the Master Profs /TOs/ head Judges are 18+

This bulletin board is able to keep email addresses private. So its definately not rocket science.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.